UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Just got an email from zavvi telling me Outlaw Star Blu-ray has been dispatched, which is a lot earlier than I expected. I checked my bank earlier and started to panic because I had money going out and no idea where to, now I know why.

Make that three. Well that's a pleasant surprise. I sold my old Beez boxset at the weekend. Looking forward to seeing how Outlaw Star looks in glorious HD.

Just spotted that I had resonses to my last comment in this thread.

I couldn't disagree more. Film is a product of its time and place, and critical material that helps to contextualise this always helps me better appreciate the work. It's not usually essential to enjoyment but it can certainly enrich it.

Ah, but in that case, I'd tend to see things from your point of view. Notes explaining pertinent details of the era a film was made in and how they pertain to the story can be very useful. I mean, if you watch old movies like (just off the top of my head here) Francis Ford Coppola's 'The Conversation' or maybe the old French Connection movies, they're very much rooted in their time.

The thing is, I've seen a bit too much reliance on extraneous material being required for viewers to even have a clue what's going in some anime lately. That's a slightly different issue.

I'm personally not a fan of being presented with stories that conceivably could and certainly should contain all the information you need for their narrative to work properly and tell a cohesive story. If they're not doing that... well, my earlier comment stands. If what I'm watching is incomprehensible, there's no power in heaven or on earth that's going to convince me it's actually any good.

Kind of annoyed honestly with Zavvi. This very very early shipment has messed up my finances somewhat. I would have at least appreciated an email about this early shipment happening. I get pre orders take money alittle early but a whole month in advance is pretty crazy.

Kind of annoyed honestly with Zavvi. This very very early shipment has messed up my finances somewhat. I would have at least appreciated an email about this early shipment happening. I get pre orders take money alittle early but a whole month in advance is pretty crazy.

I'm in the same boat, they should have informed people before they shipped it. It's like 6 weeks early. I would have held off until payday at least. I've actually cancelled A Place promised as I dont want that shipping early either or it will really screw me over. I do appreciate its great news for those who want it now but this is a bit naughty from Zavvi.

Last edited:
I imagine that spare stock from MCM was given to zavvi, and they decided that means they can ship it out instead of have it hold up a warehouse for 6 weeks.

If you're still putting out Nippon/World Masterpiece Theatre series as part of your French operation, I'd like to bring to your attention that Isao Takahata's 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother has had an HD remaster. Though my heart would break if it did receive a French sub only release :p (my French reading skills are vastly better than my Japanese though)

Just spotted that I had resonses to my last comment in this thread.

Ah, but in that case, I'd tend to see things from your point of view. Notes explaining pertinent details of the era a film was made in and how they pertain to the story can be very useful. I mean, if you watch old movies like (just off the top of my head here) Francis Ford Coppola's 'The Conversation' or maybe the old French Connection movies, they're very much rooted in their time.

The thing is, I've seen a bit too much reliance on extraneous material being required for viewers to even have a clue what's going in some anime lately. That's a slightly different issue.

I'm personally not a fan of being presented with stories that conceivably could and certainly should contain all the information you need for their narrative to work properly and tell a cohesive story. If they're not doing that... well, my earlier comment stands. If what I'm watching is incomprehensible, there's no power in heaven or on earth that's going to convince me it's actually any good.

I think I get you :)

I don't tend to watch much anime series, but would the 'extraneous material' you mention be common knowledge to the Japanese audience it's aimed at? I tend to give that a pass as well.

Last edited:
Lupin the Third Part IV English dub has been officially unveiled, courtesy of Discotek Media.

Sounds great, given we have the Part II dub cast returning (minus the VA who voiced Zenigata).

Discotek have great offerings for their set so I hope the UK release will mirror theirs in terms of on-disc content.

I don't tend to watch much anime series, but would the 'extraneous material' you mention be common knowledge to the Japanese audience it's aimed at? I tend to give that a pass as well.
I suspect it was more along the lines of cases where people say "if you read the manga/play the Visual Novel/watch the original series the film is a compilation of, then it all makes sense". Those kinds of releases can still have value but they don't hold up so well as a stand-alone product.

I'd say thing like commentaries, interviews and so on, enhance the experience of the show rather than directly affecting the show itself. That's probably the key difference, where information is directly required to understand the show then it should really be included in the show itself but when it is something that enhances the experience but isn't essential then it's fine to have it separately. Something along those lines anyway, I expect there may be exceptions.

I suppose you could say that a Collector's Edition offers a different experience to a standard release, even if they both include the same show.

I think the point about common knowledge is an interesting one though, it makes sense that creators would expect certain references to be understood by their immediate target audience but I wonder if it could also indicate a somewhat shortsighted way of thinking (or perhaps you could say, a lack of ambition). Requiring knowledge that may be common for a limited set of people, and that could be lost/changed over time, does run the risk of limiting the width and duration of appeal. Obviously there are limits to what creators could predict and making something to appeal to everyone is unlikely to be fully successful, but there is perhaps an argument that relying too much on outside information can detract from the creation itself.

Saying that, everything we watch is filtered through our own perceptions, knowledge and background, so making something that is truly universal (or, perhaps, neutral) may be impossible.

I suspect it was more along the lines of cases where people say "if you read the manga/play the Visual Novel/watch the original series the film is a compilation of, then it all makes sense". Those kinds of releases can still have value but they don't hold up so well as a stand-alone product.

*Cough* Eva 1.11 *Cough*

*Dies coughing in the background...*

I'd definitely agree with that, which is also why I don't judge a film/series based on whether it's loyal or not to the book/manga. They should be standalone works, that stand up or fall down on their own merits.

I think the point about common knowledge is an interesting one though, it makes sense that creators would expect certain references to be understood by their immediate target audience but I wonder if it could also indicate a somewhat shortsighted way of thinking (or perhaps you could say, a lack of ambition). Requiring knowledge that may be common for a limited set of people, and that could be lost/changed over time, does run the risk of limiting the width and duration of appeal. Obviously there are limits to what creators could predict and making something to appeal to everyone is unlikely to be fully successful, but there is perhaps an argument that relying too much on outside information can detract from the creation itself.

Saying that, everything we watch is filtered through our own perceptions, knowledge and background, so making something that is truly universal (or, perhaps, neutral) may be impossible.

I think it really depends on what you're trying to make. You can't please everyone all of the time, and while a film can certainly have universal themes (love/loss/growing up/success/failure/etc.) the plot that hangs on it will almost certainly have something specific to the culture that it's made in. I'm sure there've been a bunch of films made here in the past 30-40 years that wouldn't be fully understood by anyone who doesn't have an understanding of Thatcher's political impact! Much of recent Japanese cinema is informed by Fukushima, and harks back to the nuclear anxiety brought by Hiroshima and Nagasaki. To bring this back to AL, I've sadly yet to see it but I hear that Shinkai's Your Name is one such 'Fukushima film'. Now, I'm sure that you don't need to know that to enjoy the film but I suspect that it might be enriched by it. But I'd argue that films being a product of their time and place is important - it means we can experience a snapshot of what it was like in Japan in 1945 or America in 69 or Iran in 2012. It's keeps things varied and informative.

*Cough* Eva 1.11 *Cough*

*Dies coughing in the background...*

That's a pretty good example actually; I don't think any of the Rebuild of Evangelion films stand up on their own merits and they're leaving it a long time to let us decide whether or not they standup as one whole. It's a case of something that would work much better as a TV series...which is was originally anyway.

Last edited:
I have to admit - when it comes to the booklets, I'm hoping for more with text-based content, essays etc. in them in the future. Obviously this is more expensive in terms of translation costs - but for me, while art books are lovely to look at, the Anime Ltd releases in the past that I've enjoyed the most have often ended up being those where the booklet has contained textual material that enhances your understanding of the show/movie itself.

I just want to add my 20c and say that I would greatly appreciate more text-based content as well. We know you can do it!

It certainly wasn't intended, we've now moved the release date upwards in reaction to this though. Not a very happy chappy here I have to say though as we timed it for December 5th especially...

Best,

AP

Back