UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Mangaranga said:
NormanicGrav said:
The Anime Limited Q4 Schedule
Belladonna of Sadness: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Genius Party & Genius Party Beyond: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
Lupin the Third (2015): Part 1 (Episodes 1-12) Collector's Edition [Blu-ray] ~ You do realise there's an English dub being made right AL?
The Murder Case of Hana & Alice: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
Ouran High School Host Club: Complete Series Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Pigtails and Other Shorts (aka the Production I.G. Short film collection): Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
The Tatami Galaxy: Complete Series Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Tokyo Marble Chocolate: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
Well... Q4's looking rather fine for me. Bold indicates a 100% buy for me, but everything there will probably end up being bought. Titles not listed I either own already or will be purchasing elsewhere (as is case solely for Harmony, because Steelbox). Is this the final Q4 release slate or can we expect other titles to be slotted in as and when? (Still waiting for any mention of the release plan of that title from MCM!) The only thing I find rather baffling is the somewhat early solicitation of Erased considering there's a wait of over three months between Aniplex USA's releases (Pt1 in Oct, 2 in Jan) before considering holdbacks. Wouldn't it make more sense to release them across consecutive months rather than having a big gap in the middle?
Not to mention the lack of poor Samurai Flamenco Part 2 despite the second half already been rated by the BBFC.

Rui said:
(Sorry, I'm not hiding my massive love for Yona very well here. Great series.)
R

Don't hide it! The series is fantastic. I do wish it was given the AL treatment, but I'm just happy to get the series over here.

Buzz201 said:
I have to wonder whether Mobile Suit Gundam has sold many copies without those bonuses. It sounds like the discount hasn't come from Andrew or Sunrise, so Zavvi seemingly chose take ~£15 off (or a third of the price) from their end. Most people I know already brought it, but the one or two that haven't and a few of the ones who have think that price is poor without them. If Andrew's reading this, I didn't quite mean to say that I was upset at paying the same price they did (although that's part of it), I just meant I wouldn't pay £45 for an amaray with only half a series, especially when it's only 21 episodes. I've gone years without it already, what harm will waiting a few more until the price drops do?

It's worth mentioning that Kaze/Manga (no idea who pulls the strings with regards to this particular issue) do 'first press bonuses' too. They just don't tell anyone. The perennial 'why does my copy of Bleach look different to your copy?' questions are the most obvious sign of it; sometimes versions get cheaper repackagings after the first print except the only people who notice are those who buy their copies out of sync and end up with a mismatched set.

I know the MSG bonuses are a fair bit more desirable than some thinpaks in a flimsy slipcase but there is that.

R

Rui said:
It's worth mentioning that Kaze/Manga (no idea who pulls the strings with regards to this particular issue) do 'first press bonuses' too. They just don't tell anyone. The perennial 'why does my copy of Bleach look different to your copy?' questions are the most obvious sign of it; sometimes versions get cheaper repackagings after the first print except the only people who notice are those who buy their copies out of sync and end up with a mismatched set.

I know the MSG bonuses are a fair bit more desirable than some thinpaks in a flimsy slipcase but there is that.

R

I don't really personally consider a slipcover a bonus, they always disappear after first pressings. But Kaze releases tend to be slightly cheaper than Mobile Suit Gundam, and go down in price reasonably quickly.

Rui said:
Buzz201 said:
I have to wonder whether Mobile Suit Gundam has sold many copies without those bonuses. It sounds like the discount hasn't come from Andrew or Sunrise, so Zavvi seemingly chose take ~£15 off (or a third of the price) from their end. Most people I know already brought it, but the one or two that haven't and a few of the ones who have think that price is poor without them. If Andrew's reading this, I didn't quite mean to say that I was upset at paying the same price they did (although that's part of it), I just meant I wouldn't pay £45 for an amaray with only half a series, especially when it's only 21 episodes. I've gone years without it already, what harm will waiting a few more until the price drops do?

R

MSG's bonuses aren't just more desirable, the distribution method was illogical. There was no way of ensuring the same 1000 people managed to get the first print bonuses for both parts, despite there being a gap in the part 1 bonus to hold the part 2 bonus. Anyone that managed to get the artbox but not the artbook will be driven insane by the gap.

That said, I got both first print bonuses and I only paid £28 and £38 for parts 1 and 2 of MSG79 respectively though, so I don't think they were too expensive.

I dunno, it seems simple to me. I'd assume the same 1000 people likely to pre-order volume one of a Gundam show would match the order for the second half.

Buzz201 said:
Rui said:

R

I don't really personally consider a slipcover a bonus, they always disappear after first pressings. But Kaze releases tend to be slightly cheaper than Mobile Suit Gundam, and go down in price reasonably quickly.

It's not just a slipcover though, the release is entirely different

28599479432_2283d5ea9f_b.jpg

You can see the one on the left uses thinpaks in a cardboard sleeve, whereas the on right is just a case.

Not sure if impacts your point, but hey ho.

NormanicGrav said:
Mangaranga said:
NormanicGrav said:
Genius Party & Genius Party Beyond: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
Lupin the Third (2015): Part 1 (Episodes 1-12) Collector's Edition [Blu-ray] ~ You do realise there's an English dub being made right AL?
Pigtails and Other Shorts (aka the Production I.G. Short film collection): Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
Well... Q4's looking rather fine for me. Bold indicates a 100% buy for me, but everything there will probably end up being bought. Titles not listed I either own already or will be purchasing elsewhere (as is case solely for Harmony, because Steelbox). Is this the final Q4 release slate or can we expect other titles to be slotted in as and when? (Still waiting for any mention of the release plan of that title from MCM!) The only thing I find rather baffling is the somewhat early solicitation of Erased considering there's a wait of over three months between Aniplex USA's releases (Pt1 in Oct, 2 in Jan) before considering holdbacks. Wouldn't it make more sense to release them across consecutive months rather than having a big gap in the middle?
Not to mention the lack of poor Samurai Flamenco Part 2 despite the second half already been rated by the BBFC.
Why I got the @Anime French release of SamFlam part 2 as it comes with English subtitles, I just couldn't wait any longer.

IncendiaryLemon said:
It's not just a slipcover though, the release is entirely different

You can see the one on the left uses thinpaks in a cardboard sleeve, whereas the on right is just a case.

Not sure if impacts your point, but hey ho.

Not even slightly, but thanks for the pictures.

HellCat said:
I dunno, it seems simple to me. I'd assume the same 1000 people likely to pre-order volume one of a Gundam show would match the order for the second half.

There's no way to guarantee the split of stock between retailers was the same, and there may have been people that bought the part 1 without the artbox and preordered part 2 for release day.

NormanicGrav said:

[spoilerbutton]The Anthem of the Heart: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
Erased: Part 1 (Episodes 1-6) Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Erased: Part 1 (Episodes 1-6) Standard Edition [DVD]
Fullmetal Alchemist: Part 1 (Episodes 1-27) Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Fullmetal Alchemist: Part 1 (Episodes 1-27) Standard Edition [DVD]
Fullmetal Alchemist: Part 2 (Episodes 28-51) Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Fullmetal Alchemist: Part 2 (Episodes 28-51) Standard Edition [DVD]
Persona 3 the Movie #1: Spring of Death: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
Persona 3 the Movie #1: Spring of Death: Standard Edition [DVD]
Persona 3 the Movie #2: Midsummer Knight's Dream: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
Persona 3 the Movie #2: Midsummer Knight's Dream: Standard Edition [DVD]
Project Itoh: Harmony: Collector's Edition Steelcase [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
Project Itoh: Harmony: Standard Edition [DVD]
Your Lie in April: Part 2 (Episodes 12-22) Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Your Lie in April: Part 2 (Episodes 12-22) Standard Edition [DVD][/spoilerbutton]

100% buys -

The Anthem of the Heart: Collector's Edition
The Murder Case of Hana & Alice: Collector's Edition
The Tatami Galaxy: Complete Series Collector's Edition (I can NOT wait for this)

Maybes -
Pigtails and Other Shorts (aka the Production I.G. Short film collection): Collector's Edition
Lupin the Third
Fullmetal Alchemist Collectors (I ended up canceling my Ultimate Edition as I honestly think it sounds tacky as hell)

Already been buying the Persona 3 movies from Japan so would take something incredible to get me to double dip on them.
Project Itoh movies would have been bought if not for the awful steelbox packaging.
ERASED....well if the price being mentioned is true then hahahaha no! Perhaps there's not an OVA they can strip out and %$£& over the UK fans with to get it down to one set >_> I hope to god that price is not accurate, they would need to include some crazy extras to be able to justify that asking price.

I'll definitely be getting Tatami Galaxy and Ouran High School Host Club. Hoping for some nice extras. Wasn't a fan of Erased or Your Lie in April, so two part releases for those are no-goes. Will have to see what the others look like.

Interested in seeing the CE's of the Persona 3 movies (incidentally, Grav, the first one is Spring of Birth, not death), if they look good and the price is right they might convince me to double-dip on my JP CEs.

Erased, Ouran, Tatami Galaxy and YLiA are all likely buys for me (though, like everyone else, Erased depends very heavily on price for those 6 episode parts...). Possibly FMA as well, since I haven't seen the original series and the UE is out of my price range.

Jaysgba said:
MSG's bonuses aren't just more desirable, the distribution method was illogical. There was no way of ensuring the same 1000 people managed to get the first print bonuses for both parts, despite there being a gap in the part 1 bonus to hold the part 2 bonus. Anyone that managed to get the artbox but not the artbook will be driven insane by the gap.

It's done that way for lots of things, though; first press bonuses are a long established tradition. I do agree that making one bonus depend on the other was quite confusing. Rigid boxes already encourage people to fill them with the corresponding second part (a non-matching second press simply won't do!), but the booklet fitting inside made it feel all the more necessary.

I personally didn't find it hard to get both items since the bonuses were communicated in plenty of time and I'm used to first press editions. One time where it did screw me over was with Hetalia (US edition) though; the first shipments had a bandana and even though I didn't really want the bandana the fact that one retailer lost my shipment and didn't get me a copy with matched packaging will haunt me forever.

What you say about the gap (implying it's more important than the actual booklet) is relatable...

R

Looking at that schedule, does that mean no more Gundam this year after Zeta?

I know it's an apples and oranges scenario comparing us to the US market but by this point right stuf has released pretty much every show, while the UK releases are only just on the second ever series.

HellCat said:
Looking at that schedule, does that mean no more Gundam this year after Zeta?

I know it's an apples and oranges scenario comparing us to the US market but by this point right stuf has released pretty much every show, while the UK releases are only just on the second ever series.

Earlier in the thread Andrew said Gundam Rec in G was on track for release date parity with the US.

Out of the Q4 offerings I'll definitely be picking up Your Lie in April Part 2 (provided I get part 1, still need to know the contents of that first) and Anthem of the Heart. I am quite fond of Tokyo Marble Chocolate so I might buy that if the price is right.

The biggest concern is definitely the price point of Erased at the moment and I hope that's just incorrect. I don't mind the set being split into two if the content makes up for the cost, but this is going to be a much harder sell at 6 episodes than it otherwise would have been it has to be said. I really like Erased but if it's going to cost me the best part of, say, £50+ then I'll be giving the collectors a miss in favour of a standard - even if it's months away.

I really like my collector's sets but I also don't want to be paying more than £40 for something like 6 episodes of a 12-13 episode anime, not without a good excuse because we're quickly reaching the point where it's too expensive.

Back