UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Jaysgba said:
HellCat said:
Looking at that schedule, does that mean no more Gundam this year after Zeta?

I know it's an apples and oranges scenario comparing us to the US market but by this point right stuf has released pretty much every show, while the UK releases are only just on the second ever series.

Earlier in the thread Andrew said Gundam Rec in G was on track for release date parity with the US.

I take it the plan to get ZZ out this year as well is off the table? I don't mean to sound demanding (I'm owed nothing) it's just when you see how US releases are charging through the catalogue it's hard not to feel disappointed.

Belladonna of Sadness: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Genius Party & Genius Party Beyond: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
Pigtails and Other Shorts (aka the Production I.G. Short film collection): Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
Interested in these three, I would have been interested in The Tatami Galaxy on principle that it's a super unique show from my man Yuasa but I ended up hating the show so much, to the point that I dropped it off the face of this earth and never want to see it again.

HellCat said:
Jaysgba said:
HellCat said:

I know it's an apples and oranges scenario comparing us to the US market but by this point right stuf has released pretty much every show, while the UK releases are only just on the second ever series.

Earlier in the thread Andrew said Gundam Rec in G was on track for release date parity with the US.

I take it the plan to get ZZ out this year as well is off the table? I don't mean to sound demanding (I'm owed nothing) it's just when you see how US releases are charging through the catalogue it's hard not to feel disappointed.

I'm mostly wanting After War Gundam X, but after Andrew's comments that all UK Gundam is blu-ray and the licensor wanting PAL DVDs if there're DVD releases, I'm really curious as to what's going to happen with Gundam titles that are DVD-only in Japan and the US.

serpantino said:
I can't help but notice that every blu-ray in that Q4 lineup says collector's. Regardless nothing i can see there actually tickles my fancy.

There's nothing inherently wrong with all of the blu-rays being collector's editions on release day, provided standard editions don't take as long as for some other titles.

Jaysgba said:
serpantino said:
I can't help but notice that every blu-ray in that Q4 lineup says collector's. Regardless nothing i can see there actually tickles my fancy.

There's nothing inherently wrong with all of the blu-rays being collector's editions on release day, provided standard editions don't take as long as for some other titles.

What I meant is there's no standard BD releases at all, including older releases that haven't yet received a standard edition. Maybe I misread the list but I thought it was for all AL's upcoming Q4.

What i will pick up
Project Itoh: Harmony: Collector's Edition Steelcase [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
The Anthem of the Heart: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
The Murder Case of Hana & Alice: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
Persona 3 the Movie #1: Spring of Death: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
Persona 3 the Movie #2: Midsummer Knight's Dream: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
Your Lie in April: Part 2 (Episodes 12-22) Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Maybe
Erased: Part 1 (Episodes 1-6) Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Pigtails and Other Shorts (aka the Production I.G. Short film collection): Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
The Tatami Galaxy: Complete Series Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Tokyo Marble Chocolate: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]

Buzzkillington said:
100% buys -

The Anthem of the Heart: Collector's Edition
The Murder Case of Hana & Alice: Collector's Edition
The Tatami Galaxy: Complete Series Collector's Edition (I can NOT wait for this)

Maybes -
Pigtails and Other Shorts (aka the Production I.G. Short film collection): Collector's Edition
Lupin the Third
Fullmetal Alchemist Collectors (I ended up canceling my Ultimate Edition as I honestly think it sounds tacky as hell)

Already been buying the Persona 3 movies from Japan so would take something incredible to get me to double dip on them.
Project Itoh movies would have been bought if not for the awful steelbox packaging.
ERASED....well if the price being mentioned is true then hahahaha no! Perhaps there's not an OVA they can strip out and %$£& over the UK fans with to get it down to one set >_> I hope to god that price is not accurate, they would need to include some crazy extras to be able to justify that asking price.

Re FMA - that's a shame because it's anything but tacky and I'm kinda sad you feel it sounds that way. Wait until the painted shots are revealed, hopefully later this week and you'll see it's definitely not. The artbook will be the biggest & best one yet from us too and unique in the western world too but hey, I understand :).

For ERASED: Have you actually seen any other release we've done before that are AoA? Confused by the reaction all of a sudden... That said, looks like SRP was wrong, but is £59.99 any better for you really? Extras are pretty good for ERASED actually - will keep folks updated on that one but I think basically we get what the USA does minus the OST and Manga extract. Which given the US SRP is £90, I think isn't a bad saving...

AP

Jaysgba said:
MSG's bonuses aren't just more desirable, the distribution method was illogical. There was no way of ensuring the same 1000 people managed to get the first print bonuses for both parts, despite there being a gap in the part 1 bonus to hold the part 2 bonus. Anyone that managed to get the artbox but not the artbook will be driven insane by the gap.

That said, I got both first print bonuses and I only paid £28 and £38 for parts 1 and 2 of MSG79 respectively though, so I don't think they were too expensive.

Life is full of uncertainties really - it's not illogical, but we could just do Part 1 at a higher cost and include both extras then do Part 2 at £59.99 SRP and drop Part 1 to £59.99 SRP after. But somehow I don't think that's as nice a way to handle it.

Sales time has shown me that if you bought Part 1 and really want Part 2, you could totally do that with 3-4 months before it runs out. There's no guarantee if we print 2000 of Part 2 for example that the 1000 who buy Part 1 will get the book either. It extends the odds but there is literally no guarantee ever unless you provide an infinite supply, which rather defeats the point.

The gap is a fair point but is alas nothing we can do. You can always file it the other way as the spines are nice and clean on the box-side too I'd say which reduces the insanity (unless you live on a boat, then please look forward to the sound of movement with every movement of the hull...!)

AP

HellCat said:

Actually, we just haven't scheduled 'em yet. Watch this space :).

AP

Demelza said:
Out of the Q4 offerings I'll definitely be picking up Your Lie in April Part 2 (provided I get part 1, still need to know the contents of that first) and Anthem of the Heart. I am quite fond of Tokyo Marble Chocolate so I might buy that if the price is right.

The biggest concern is definitely the price point of Erased at the moment and I hope that's just incorrect. I don't mind the set being split into two if the content makes up for the cost, but this is going to be a much harder sell at 6 episodes than it otherwise would have been it has to be said. I really like Erased but if it's going to cost me the best part of, say, £50+ then I'll be giving the collectors a miss in favour of a standard - even if it's months away.

I really like my collector's sets but I also don't want to be paying more than £40 for something like 6 episodes of a 12-13 episode anime, not without a good excuse because we're quickly reaching the point where it's too expensive.

In short - it's an licensor restriction on parts here folks, what was everyone expecting me to have to do? I'd love to do a complete episode set but you all know how this game is played now and as much as I'd love to change that, we have to be respectful of our agreement I'm afraid too. That said, the SRP was wrongly listed and should be £59.99 so it'll settle circa KLK prices probably - but again we're kind of hands-bound on this one folks so we're working with the best we have. I'm confident the AL special offer at least will bring it to under £40 though even if Amazon et al don't (I think they may).

AP

anime_andrew said:
Demelza said:
Out of the Q4 offerings I'll definitely be picking up Your Lie in April Part 2 (provided I get part 1, still need to know the contents of that first) and Anthem of the Heart. I am quite fond of Tokyo Marble Chocolate so I might buy that if the price is right.

The biggest concern is definitely the price point of Erased at the moment and I hope that's just incorrect. I don't mind the set being split into two if the content makes up for the cost, but this is going to be a much harder sell at 6 episodes than it otherwise would have been it has to be said. I really like Erased but if it's going to cost me the best part of, say, £50+ then I'll be giving the collectors a miss in favour of a standard - even if it's months away.

I really like my collector's sets but I also don't want to be paying more than £40 for something like 6 episodes of a 12-13 episode anime, not without a good excuse because we're quickly reaching the point where it's too expensive.

In short - it's an licensor restriction on parts here folks, what was everyone expecting me to have to do? I'd love to do a complete episode set but you all know how this game is played now and as much as I'd love to change that, we have to be respectful of our agreement I'm afraid too. That said, the SRP was wrongly listed and should be £59.99 so it'll settle circa KLK prices probably - but again we're kind of hands-bound on this one folks so we're working with the best we have. I'm confident the AL special offer at least will bring it to under £40 though even if Amazon et al don't (I think they may).

AP

Personally, I'd have preferred you include the OST and up the SRP. £60 SRP for 6 episodes really doesn't sit right with me, regardless of how rigid the box is. Going all the way and making it a £90 SRP CE that included the OST as well would've actually been more agreeable to me. For the first time ever, I'm going to now have to consider importing the AoA release over the UK release.

SnowWolf said:
I thought they were trying to get Erased out in one set or did that not work out?

Licensor restriction I'm afraid and cost for that one set vs splitting it into two. £59.99 a set + retail discount vs £119.99 + retailer discount or so for a complete seemed like a logical choice. We try our best on that frontier of course though!

AP

anime_andrew said:
For ERASED: Have you actually seen any other release we've done before that are AoA? Confused by the reaction all of a sudden... That said, looks like SRP was wrong, but is £59.99 any better for you really? Extras are pretty good for ERASED actually - will keep folks updated on that one but I think basically we get what the USA does minus the OST and Manga extract. Which given the US SRP is £90, I think isn't a bad saving...

AP

Are we reading the same special features listing?

Special Features: Audio Commentary by Ben Diskin (Satoru), Cherami Leigh (Airi), and Alex von David (English Voice Director & Script Writer), Trailer Collection, Textless Opening, Textless Ending.

One audio commentary and a couple of songs are "pretty good" for £40-60?

As somebody that owns Aldnoah.Zero, Baccano! and all three Durarara!! releases, I would genuinely be amazed if you even sold 500 copies...

Buzz201 said:
anime_andrew said:

AP

Are we reading the same special features listing?

Special Features: Audio Commentary by Ben Diskin (Satoru), Cherami Leigh (Airi), and Alex von David (English Voice Director & Script Writer), Trailer Collection, Textless Opening, Textless Ending.

One audio commentary and a couple of songs are "pretty good" for £40-60?

As somebody that owns Aldnoah.Zero, Baccano! and all three Durarara!! releases, I would genuinely be amazed if you even sold 500 copies...

That's the on-disc extras, the Japanese releases come with a large booklet separate to the manga chapter as well per part which we'll be working on too :). On disc extras for that kind of release are always less interesting than the packaging ones to be honest anyway :). So I was referring to the print component there - sorry for the ambiguity on my part!

As I say, we can only work within the lines of what we have there on it and as always, just because it's been listed doesn't mean there won't be firstly special deals on All the Anime's site and secondly doesn't mean that it's the final fixed price. We will always try to fight that corner too but as you know, we have some limitations on this particular show...

AP

Jaysgba said:
Personally, I'd have preferred you include the OST and up the SRP. £60 SRP for 6 episodes really doesn't sit right with me, regardless of how rigid the box is. Going all the way and making it a £90 SRP CE that included the OST as well would've actually been more agreeable to me. For the first time ever, I'm going to now have to consider importing the AoA release over the UK release.

As you can imagine, I totally asked for the option of the OST as well. Let me see what we can do on the pricing frontier though - as ever the issue is the comparative pricing in the USA and it falls more into the KLK camp than it does SAO. But let me see what I can do :).

AP

It's an interesting discussion, and one that's got me thinking, especially with some of the comments Jerome was making on Twitter last night re. how well collectors editions sold.

At the end of the day, it seems like a restriction that can't be avoided (re. price) - and while I feel the majority of hardcore UK anime fans are used to this by now, and will stump up the cash if they care about the show enough, it does kind of avoid the casual market a little (even if a cheaper edition does come further down the line).

While I think this is academic to a certain degree as they're served by streaming / and I imagine it's still possible to make a profit, via more expensive editions, going back to some of Jerome's comments, I can't imagine the sales numbers for these are great, unless you have a genuine rocket fuel show like SAO or Tokyo Ghoul on your hands.

That of course depends on whether you measure the success of the product/show by sales numbers or profit, but I think from the fan side of things, and purely sentimentally, if you're invested in a show you obviously want it to feel like it's selling 'well' - and sometimes I do feel the more expensive editions restrict that in a way that didn't happen so much in the glory days of 'cheap' Manga releases - even if that is trying to compare chalk and cheese to a certain degree...

anime_andrew said:
Jaysgba said:

As you can imagine, I totally asked for the option of the OST as well. Let me see what we can do on the pricing frontier though - as ever the issue is the comparative pricing in the USA and it falls more into the KLK camp than it does SAO. But let me see what I can do :).

AP

It's a real shame; there isn't even an option to import a standalone sondtrack for Erased seeing as it's exclusive to the Japanese BD Boxes as well.

Back