UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Problem is the prices are getting higher and higher if ya don’t buy in the early bird your stuck waiting for a sale where it might sell out

If your charging these prices you have to do better
There's no incentive for them to "do better" though.

The only actual consequence of their sloppy releases and repeated delays is...people complaining online for a few days, then instantly forgetting about it as soon as a new preorder shows up.

AL know they can release things in any state they want at any price they want because people will just buy it, complain, then buy more anyway 😅

There's no incentive for them to "do better" though.

The only actual consequence of their sloppy releases and repeated delays is...people complaining online for a few days, then instantly forgetting about it as soon as a new preorder shows up.

AL know they can release things in any state they want at any price they want because people will just buy it, complain, then buy more anyway 😅

That's an intrinsic problem with anime distribution. The only competition that exists is for the licences. Once you have a licence for an anime, it's not like there's loads of other anime distributors putting out the same releases or sets in competition with each other (unless it's years down the line and a new distributor has picked up the expired licence).

It would never happen of course, but imagine if MVM had the licence to Naruto in the UK alongside Anime Limited - Anime Limited and MVM would then have to compete to produce the best set to get people to order their version. Suddenly, quality checking typos, subtitles, video quality, and getting releases out on time becomes way more important.

Last edited:
So the licensor supplied AL with a set of subtitles that are known to be worse than a more recent version?

That seems very odd. Why would a licensor want their product to be shown in a subpar way?
Did you notice the current streaming situation with My Deer Friend Nokotan? Some other larger companies from Japan are doing the same - because they believe their subs are actually better.

Not to mention that all 3 Gundam 0079 movies already got dubbed in English, however this dub wasn't approved for disc release (VHS exclusive)

This...is worrying.

This is the most negative I've been in months but I'm tired of AL Gundam releases being a lottery in terms of quality. In this specific case the lack of quality for the booklet makes the claim about the subs feel dubious.

View attachment 34935
Thinking on it, I'm not even sure what this implies.

"Thanks for letting us know the booklet has errors." Ok, are you going to offer buyers a corrected reprint?
"These are the subs the licensor gave us." Then I think you should probably go back and explain you have negative consumer response to them.

I'm well aware from multiple professional experiences how stubborn/formidable Sunrise can be. But this is not good enough. Everytime a UK Gundam release is low quality AL just shrugs and says "That's what you're getting." Reminder this is a £100 set. If fans are going to part with that they might as well just use it cover importing US releases. At least those have a consistent quality.

"Thanks for letting us know the booklet has errors." Ok, are you going to offer buyers a corrected reprint?
"These are the subs the licensor gave us." Then I think you should probably go back and explain you have negative consumer response to them.

I'm well aware from multiple professional experiences how stubborn/formidable Sunrise can be. But this is not good enough. Everytime a UK Gundam release is low quality AL just shrugs and says "That's what you're getting." Reminder this is a £100 set. If fans are going to part with that they might as well just use it cover importing US releases. At least those have a consistent quality.
100% the cost of the set is too much to just hand wave issues.

I'm glad I decided to save my money despite having all the UC stuff but I think everyone who bought it are entitled to be mad about this.

And lets not forget the exact same set was released in France with the only difference being the language the booklet was translated to and is £20 cheaper.

Doesn’t AL France have a bunch of issues with their releases that they never fix as well? Then when asked about said issues, they say its on AL UK or just don’t respond. But when AL UK is asked about AL Frances issues they say it’s on AL France. Seems like both companies have this issue of having problems with their releases and then try to ignore the problems for as long as possible.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Naruto Set 1 pre-orders have already gone live on Zavvi - obviously no collector's box with these orders however.

Naruto Set 2 has also gone live on Zavvi with a release date of November 4th 2024. I don't think we've seen the set 2 artwork before? I wonder if AL will also have set 2 available for pre-order as well when they go live. Hopefully they'll have a decent EB or a bundle deal.

Standard editions also up on Zavvi.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who got confused there for a moment. I was wondering why part 2 was up there.

I hope the Naruto BDs do sell well in the year 2024.

Compared to Bleach and One Piece, Naruto nowadays isn't the massive money maker as it used to be, although I'm fear that the later fillerish BD sets will be very poor sellers.

I hope the Naruto BDs do sell well in the year 2024.

Compared to Bleach and One Piece, Naruto nowadays isn't the massive money maker as it used to be, although I'm fear that the later fillerish BD sets will be very poor sellers.
Most people buying the CE will probably do it for completions sake the standards will sell badly

Back