UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Got a email from Amazon saying Samurai Flamenco has been delayed till Dec 14th same day as SAO II part 2 I doubt they won't sell well till after Christmas as people will be spending money on Christmas (that's why I can't buy them)

Newswire #44/45 are up

■ Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya: Season 1 Standard Edition DVD is due for December 28th.
■ Anime Limited confirms acquisition for the three Amazon UK leaked titles (Lord Marksman & Vanadis, Noein & Riddle Story of Devil).
■ Sword Art Online II Part 2 and Samurai Flamenco Part 1 are still set for December.
■ Sword Art Online II Part 3 and Gankutsuou have been pushed back to the new year.

Q1 schedule (as of now):

■ 11th January: Ping Pong (Collector’s Edition Blu-ray+DVD set)
■ 25th January: Fuse – Memoirs of a Huntress (Limited Collector’s Blu-ray+DVD set, Standard DVD)
■ 25th January: Noein (Limited Collector’s Edition Blu-ray)
■ 25th January: Expelled From Paradise (Limited Collector’s Edition Blu-ray+DVD set, Standard DVD)
■ 15th February: Durarara!! x2 Shou (Limited Collector’s Edition Blu-ray, Standard DVD)
■ 22nd February: Letter To Momo (Limited Collector’s Edition Blu-ray+DVD set, Standard DVD)
■ 29th February: Selector Infected WIXOSS (Limited Collector’s Edition Blu-ray, Standard DVD)
■ 29th February: Tokyo ESP (Limited Collector’s Edition Blu-ray+DVD, Standard DVD)
■ 29th February: Lord Marksman and Vanadis (Limited Collector’s Edition Blu-ray, Standard DVD)
■ 14th March: Riddle – Story of Devil (Limited Collector’s Edition Blu-ray, Standard DVD)
■ 14th March: Brothers Conflict – Complete Series (Limited Collector’s Edition Blu-ray, Standard DVD)
■ 31st March: Miss Hokusai (Limited Collector’s Edition Blu-ray+DVD set, Standard Blu-ray, Standard DVD)

From that Newswire update, it appears that standard edition = DVD only for all those releases. If so, that's a pretty unwelcome development.

HdE said:
From that Newswire update, it appears that standard edition = DVD only for all those releases. If so, that's a pretty unwelcome development.

Standard Edition Blu-rays occur after the Collector's Edition is close to OOP, as far as I know. Examples include HAL, Perfect Blue & Tokyo Ghoul.

NormanicGrav said:
HdE said:

Standard Edition Blu-rays occur after the Collector's Edition is close to OOP, as far as I know. Examples include HAL, Perfect Blue & Tokyo Ghoul.

Ah - yeah. That detail had escaped the rational and civilised part of my brain. Just a bit twitchy about this stuff in light of the recent cancellations of standard editions elsewhere in Anime Land.

HdE said:
NormanicGrav said:
HdE said:

Ah - yeah. That detail had escaped the rational and civilised part of my brain. Just a bit twitchy about this stuff in light of the recent cancellations of standard editions elsewhere in Anime Land.

There's a lot of horse puns I could use now - but fear not, we're not playing that game! We have a pattern that we obey and we're (trying) to set DVD as a precedent for standard at the very least where we can :).

AP

NormanicGrav said:
Newswire #44/45 are up

■ Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya: Season 1 Standard Edition DVD is due for December 28th.
■ Anime Limited confirms acquisition for the three Amazon UK leaked titles (Lord Marksman & Vanadis, Noein & Riddle Story of Devil).
■ Sword Art Online II Part 2 and Samurai Flamenco Part 1 are still set for December.
■ Sword Art Online II Part 3 and Gankutsuou have been pushed back to the new year.

Q1 schedule (as of now):

■ 11th January: Ping Pong (Collector’s Edition Blu-ray+DVD set)
■ 25th January: Fuse – Memoirs of a Huntress (Limited Collector’s Blu-ray+DVD set, Standard DVD)
■ 25th January: Noein (Limited Collector’s Edition Blu-ray)
■ 25th January: Expelled From Paradise (Limited Collector’s Edition Blu-ray+DVD set, Standard DVD)
■ 15th February: Durarara!! x2 Shou (Limited Collector’s Edition Blu-ray, Standard DVD)
■ 22nd February: Letter To Momo (Limited Collector’s Edition Blu-ray+DVD set, Standard DVD)
■ 29th February: Selector Infected WIXOSS (Limited Collector’s Edition Blu-ray, Standard DVD)
■ 29th February: Tokyo ESP (Limited Collector’s Edition Blu-ray+DVD, Standard DVD)
■ 29th February: Lord Marksman and Vanadis (Limited Collector’s Edition Blu-ray, Standard DVD)
■ 14th March: Riddle – Story of Devil (Limited Collector’s Edition Blu-ray, Standard DVD)
■ 14th March: Brothers Conflict – Complete Series (Limited Collector’s Edition Blu-ray, Standard DVD)
■ 31st March: Miss Hokusai (Limited Collector’s Edition Blu-ray+DVD set, Standard Blu-ray, Standard DVD)

Is it safe to assume Psychic School Wars is TBA? not included in this weeks or the last edition of the newswire.

Interesting that Ping Pong is listed as 11th January. It's a release I do wish to have so the sooner the better :thumb:

Both Psychic School Wars and the Makoto Shinkai pack were just tentative release dates. At least we know that the double pack is nearly sorted after many years.

anime_andrew said:
There's a lot of horse puns I could use now - but fear not, we're not playing that game! We have a pattern that we obey and we're (trying) to set DVD as a precedent for standard at the very least where we can :).

I had to re-read this a few times. Have you said 'DVD' where you meant 'Blu Ray', by any chance, Andrew?

Something about those listings didn't feel right just because of the Blu Ray standard editions Anime Limited have put out already. I'm watching this whole format / release issue stuff with a lot of interest right now, so just trying to understand things correctly before I go shooting my mouth off anywhere.

No, I think he meant that they aim to do a standard dvd release asap and as close to the collectors edition blu ray (will be the norm going forward) with a standard blu ray likely further along the line.

Makes sense tbh, get a cheaper alternative out their for people as soon as possible when licensing means you can't release a standard bd for quite some time.

HdE said:
anime_andrew said:

I had to re-read this a few times. Have you said 'DVD' where you meant 'Blu Ray', by any chance, Andrew?

Something about those listings didn't feel right just because of the Blu Ray standard editions Anime Limited have put out already. I'm watching this whole format / release issue stuff with a lot of interest right now, so just trying to understand things correctly before I go shooting my mouth off anywhere.

No - I actually mean DVD still. Basically what insulates us from a lot of the faff in the US / Japan is the BD code but it's also our desire to do something more than a standard edition immediately. Now this takes basically three modes:

MODE 1 - Tough rules.

1) Collector's BD and/or DVD to start
2) Standards never or very tough to negotiate.

MODE 2 - Slightly looser

1) Collector's BD and/or DVD + Standard DVD
2) Standard BD when Collector's BD is sold out.

MODE 3 - Licensee's choice

2) Standard BD one month later

MODE 3 is a personal preference but very often not accepted nowadays and honestly MODE 2 is perfectly fine for me even if it's not ideal, it allows us the option down the line and in many ways it's no different to how it used to me.

The key issue is that the first choice there has been prevalent for some time as a forced choice from many so instead of just charging loads and not doing much, we do our own thing and make something we'd like at least on our shelves. Doesn't always gel with others but at least we've spent the money in appropriately on something unique for folks :).

So what I am trying to drill into folks now is that Standard DVD edition at the very least must go alongside the BD Collector's release to give consumers who do want a standard option immediately something. We're trying anyway where we can, as you all know we do listen :).

It's not always that way and as you know - I am more than willing to let people know when it's my choice over "The Licensor" as well and to stand my corner on it too!

AP

anime_andrew said:
HdE said:
anime_andrew said:

No - I actually mean DVD still. Basically what insulates us from a lot of the faff in the US / Japan is the BD code but it's also our desire to do something more than a standard edition immediately. Now this takes basically three modes:

MODE 1 - Tough rules.

1) Collector's BD and/or DVD to start
2) Standards never or very tough to negotiate.

MODE 2 - Slightly looser

2) Standard BD when Collector's BD is sold out.

MODE 3 - Licensee's choice

2) Standard BD one month later

MODE 3 is a personal preference but very often not accepted nowadays and honestly MODE 2 is perfectly fine for me even if it's not ideal, it allows us the option down the line and in many ways it's no different to how it used to me.

The key issue is that the first choice there has been prevalent for some time as a forced choice from many so instead of just charging loads and not doing much, we do our own thing and make something we'd like at least on our shelves. Doesn't always gel with others but at least we've spent the money in appropriately on something unique for folks :).

So what I am trying to drill into folks now is that Standard DVD edition at the very least must go alongside the BD Collector's release to give consumers who do want a standard option immediately something. We're trying anyway where we can, as you all know we do listen :).

It's not always that way and as you know - I am more than willing to let people know when it's my choice over "The Licensor" as well and to stand my corner on it too!

AP

Mode 1 is Aniplex right they don't even like us having 12 episode sets that's why we're getting DRx2 and Az Late (my belief anyway)

Not gonna quote back from Andrew's post, as it's a MONSTER - but thanks once again! That's really clear and even managed to get into my slow brain today.

I won't lie - it bothers me a great deal that mode 3 is apparently a tough sell to licensors, and that the phrase 'standards never or very tough to negotiate' is even a thing. But this is eased quite abit by the willingness on AL's part to listen to fans.

I really, truly do believe that the standard edition release represents an opportunity to get product into specific consumers' hands who may not go for a CE. But my guess is you'll know better than me if the bottom line supports that.

Back