UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

HdE said:
Mrclt1994 said:
Rightstuf have confirmed Gundam Wing will be getting a BD release in NA, so I hope we get one. Not because i like the series or anything but because all of MSG deserve BD releases

Even my deep rooted for Gundam Wing and its utterly insane all-over-the-place story development isn't enough grounds for me to disagree with this. If nothing else, I can see that the show would really benefit from a remaster. I own the Bandai US sets, and those visuals are pretty murky.

Also, have I mentioned here that I'd also love to see a UK release for Katanagatari? Because I'd love to see a UK release for Katanagatari.

Gundam wing is the most popular Gundam in the US so it was obvious it would get a BD release and we will get one soon I expect

HdE said:
Mrclt1994 said:
Rightstuf have confirmed Gundam Wing will be getting a BD release in NA, so I hope we get one. Not because i like the series or anything but because all of MSG deserve BD releases

Even my deep rooted for Gundam Wing and its utterly insane all-over-the-place story development isn't enough grounds for me to disagree with this. If nothing else, I can see that the show would really benefit from a remaster. I own the Bandai US sets, and those visuals are pretty murky.

Also, have I mentioned here that I'd also love to see a UK release for Katanagatari? Because I'd love to see a UK release for Katanagatari.
The Beez remaster sets of Wing have a much better picture quality than the R1 release. Would still be nice to pick up a bluray set at some time.

How dependent on sales of the current/2016 stuff will potential future Gundam releases be? I notice that in discussing the MSG sets that "first 1000 units" is worded as if it's expected to cover predicted sales. If thr UC stuff doesn't do well, are things like the Build Fighters sets announced at NYCC off the table for UK?

I only have the original Beez singles of Wing and the picture quality is incredibly poor - there are parts where it almost looks like it's been ported straight off a VHS tape. So yup, a Blu Ray would be highly appreciated there.

I have a question for Andrew after having watched Baccano! (great anime, want to kill Miria and Isaac though).

I'm reviewing the show for the site and after researching it a bit I discovered Manga Entertainment had the series previously (2010 according to Wikipedia), so how was Anime Limited allowed to pick it up so soon for the collectors set? Is it because the set is blu-ray when Manga's wasn't, or did Manga just not have the rights to it for very long?

I appreciate it might not be something you can answer, but figured it was worth asking! :)

Demelza said:
I have a question for Andrew after having watched Baccano! (great anime, want to kill Miria and Isaac though).

I'm reviewing the show for the site and after researching it a bit I discovered Manga Entertainment had the series previously (2010 according to Wikipedia), so how was Anime Limited allowed to pick it up so soon for the collectors set? Is it because the set is blu-ray when Manga's wasn't, or did Manga just not have the rights to it for very long?

I appreciate it might not be something you can answer, but figured it was worth asking! :)
Just guessing here, but I think that the licenses for a lot of shows are separate between Blu-ray and DVD (and even streaming). So Manga still probably hold the DVD rights, while AL have Blu-ray rights.

NormanicGrav said:
You just reminded me of the time where Attack on Titan was originally going to be released as a Region A|B|1|2|4 until they changed it at the last minute (I know for a fact because the first print run of the Limited Edition even has those regions on the back). That change is probably due to Manga UK and their insulting release 3 months later.
Are you sure that's not just a packaging error?

HdE said:
Sad to say, yeah. I do know people who at least claimed to boycott Anime Limited's products on grounds of price point. I wouldn't even mention this, except to say for the record that I don't agree with such a course of action, and I think it's ultimately a bit of a stupid stance. Pointedly refusing to buy a product because you deem it too expensive or somehow otherwise deficient doesn't send the message that some people seem to think it will. So it's not something I'd ever endorse. Communication of concerns, on the ther hand, is much more worthwhile.
Are we talking about people who can easily afford the prices and decide not to? I mean, I "boycott" many things on grounds of price point. Like Lamborghinis.

thedoctor2016 said:
It's peeves me no end that they've licensed this series I thought AL wouldn't have to go to fanservice shows and you lapping it up upsets me that anime is just fanservice
HSOTD was my first anime show
I...

Smeelia said:
I could see a dub for Miss Hokusai working. I'd agree that it's maybe not entirely necessary but I can't think of anything that would be particularly difficult to translate.
Not having seen the film, maybe Andrew's worried, with it being a historical show, about falling into a Mai Mai situation again?

Demelza said:

That's actually an easy one to answer, at least in part - Manga got the DVD rights from FUNimation and Anime Limited got the BD rights from Aniplex.
In the US it was licensed by FUNimation back around 2008 (including UK rights). BD rights were clearly not included (the initial release was DVD-only in Japan as well) and, following the release of the show in Japan as a limited edition BD, they decided to bring that set over to the US through their new Aniplex of America subsidiary. What I can't answer is why it was AL rather than Manga who picked up the BD rights from Aniplex.

Shiroi Hane said:
Demelza said:

That's actually an easy one to answer, at least in part - Manga got the DVD rights from FUNimation and Anime Limited got the BD rights from Aniplex.
In the US it was licensed by FUNimation back around 2008 (including UK rights). BD rights were clearly not included (the initial release was DVD-only in Japan as well) and, following the release of the show in Japan as a limited edition BD, they decided to bring that set over to the US through their new Aniplex of America subsidiary. What I can't answer is why it was AL rather than Manga who picked up the BD rights from Aniplex.

Ah I figured it was probably something like that to be honest!

I'd assume maybe Anime Limited got the rights because of Durarara!! as part of a package?

Shiroi Hane said:
What I can't answer is why it was AL rather than Manga who picked up the BD rights from Aniplex.
NormanicGrav said:
I went for the US version because I questioned Manga UK about the possibility of releasing a Blu-ray version of this show (and a lot others) and they downright said that upscaled shows would not get a Blu-ray release in the UK.
from Grav's blog

re Baccano!, I picked up the JP BD box as I missed out on the AoA release, very nice packaging plus it comes with eng dub and eng subs. I purchased it just before i saw what AL had on offer - i think both sets are nice so I don't think i missed out either way. not too fussed about booklets tbh

BlackStrat said:
Shiroi Hane said:
What I can't answer is why it was AL rather than Manga who picked up the BD rights from Aniplex.
NormanicGrav said:
I went for the US version because I questioned Manga UK about the possibility of releasing a Blu-ray version of this show (and a lot others) and they downright said that upscaled shows would not get a Blu-ray release in the UK.
from Grav's blog

And now we're finally getting upscaled Blu-rays thanks to Anime Limited (Baccano! & Claymore). Granted Manga UK did release Fairy Tail and FMA:B as both were semi-upscales (540p or something? Shiroi can correct me on this) but it's been 2.5 years since that podcast so opinions may have changed.

Just to double check with Baccano! What are the exact extras featured in the UK Blu-ray release? Someone on Fandom Post noticed the description stated it had included Funi's extra bits (like Commentaries) but the discs didn't include them.

Mrclt1994 said:
re Baccano!, I picked up the JP BD box as I missed out on the AoA release, very nice packaging plus it comes with eng dub and eng subs. I purchased it just before i saw what AL had on offer - i think both sets are nice so I don't think i missed out either way. not too fussed about booklets tbh

The Japanese Box does look really nice. I'm surprised a lot of the American fans have no idea the JP sets have Dub & Sub included despite the discs being the exact same.

NormanicGrav said:
And now we're finally getting upscaled Blu-rays thanks to Anime Limited (Baccano! & Claymore). Granted Manga UK did release Fairy Tail and FMA:B as both were semi-upscales (540p or something? Shiroi can correct me on this) but it's been 2.5 years since that podcast so opinions may have changed.

Just to double check with Baccano! What are the exact extras featured in the UK Blu-ray release? Someone on Fandom Post noticed the description stated it had included Funi's extra bits (like Commentaries) but the discs didn't include them.
All 1xx episodes of the first Fairy Tail series are SD upscales. The movie and Second season are HD native - being A1 I'd assume 720p. FMA:B is indeed 540p.

Not at home right now so I can't tell you exactly, but Anime Limited's BD of Baccano uses Aniplex's masters - so that's two stereo audio tracks (no commentary track) with extras being creditless OP/EDs, an English credit roll and another subtitled extra from the Japanese DVDs that was not included with the JP/US BD. Not sure if it was on Funi's DVD though.

NormanicGrav said:
I believe they were referring to something else and it was just a poor choice of words. Which is weird because I was sure I read it here and AL had answered him...

BlackStrat said:
NormanicGrav said:
I believe they were referring to something else and it was just a poor choice of words. Which is weird because I was sure I read it here and AL had answered him...
Yeah I think I remember that too, I believe it was something to do with the contents of the booklet being what they were talking about, but I could be making that up, I am getting old.

*Nope, found it in another post.

"Hi Reuben, the commentary referenced on the back of the box is referring to the 'Baccano! The Complete Guide' featurette extra specifically. It's not audio commentaries.

That being said, we can understand the confusion on the back of the box from the way it’s phrased. So we apologise for any confusion there and for any mixup from staff at the event. ^JG"

540p is what I've seen for FMA:B and others, although that is usually determined by reverse-engineering (either anibin-style or by tricks like downsampling then re-upsampling at decreasing resolutions until you get a visible loss of detail) rather than actual knowledge of the process or materials.

Back