UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Rui said:
*to view Rui's ramble click here*

Having rambled this far, I do hope that Fumoffu will eventually be rereleased here for the sake of those who haven't been able to add it to their collections yet.

R, who is not especially into FMP

Based on the way that Anime Limited have handled Fumoffu, honestly they should have just made it a timed-exclusive for the Ultimate Edition rather than just 'exclusive'. One reason is for consistency, remember they've considered Fumoffu to be Season 2 so fans are going to be confused when they see only Season 1 and '3' on their shelf because they only have the standard edition. Another reason is because many people probably prefer Fumoffu over the rest of the franchise and they probably don't want to spend a lot of money for two other seasons that they don't want.

NormanicGrav said:
Rui said:
*to view Rui's ramble click here*

Having rambled this far, I do hope that Fumoffu will eventually be rereleased here for the sake of those who haven't been able to add it to their collections yet.

R, who is not especially into FMP

Based on the way that Anime Limited have handled Fumoffu, honestly they should have just made it a timed-exclusive for the Ultimate Edition rather than just 'exclusive'. One reason is for consistency, remember they've considered Fumoffu to be Season 2 so fans are going to be confused when they see only Season 1 and '3' on their shelf because they only have the standard edition. Another reason is because many people probably prefer Fumoffu over the rest of the franchise and they probably don't want to spend a lot of money for two other seasons that they don't want.

People actually prefer the comedy based series hmm

thedoctor2016 said:
People actually prefer the comedy based series hmm

I definitely prefer Fumoffu as it's the only series I've watched fully and I genuinely enjoyed it. I got bored during FMP season 1 and haven't watched the second raid, but I'm game for it all with the UE now!

Re Fumoffu, what we meant was we have plans for standards of the other two seasons of FMP! while the Ultimate is still in it's early days (3-6 months). Fumoffu will likely still eventually get a stand-alone release just a bit down the line.

As ever - subject to change or someone beating me down but if you want it now though we will look at streaming it soon as well wherever we can :).

AP

anime_andrew said:
Re Fumoffu, what we meant was we have plans for standards of the other two seasons of FMP! while the Ultimate is still in it's early days (3-6 months). Fumoffu will likely still eventually get a stand-alone release just a bit down the line.

As ever - subject to change or someone beating me down but if you want it now though we will look at streaming it soon as well wherever we can :).

AP
That's good; because I am interested in FMP! but can't really justify £90 for what would be a blind buy with the Ultimate Edition. Buying it a series as a time would be healthier for my wallet :p

thedoctor2016 said:
I expect you don't believe 0079 is worth £80 then as its a 1979 series no where near HD Though it has been remastered

I'm pretty sure 0079 was shot on 16mm. So it's HD alright. And you could probably do a 4K transfer as well, though it might be overkill.

Personally, I'd be willing to pay £80-90 for a restoration. When it comes to upscales from the 00s, I'd pay considerably less.

I don't think will get a SE for at least a year of FMP as it less likely to sell than GL is and thats still here a year later though did it have production problems funny to think i have to keep my broken GL and my broken KLK part 3 (as i bought it for the June RD)

thedoctor2016 said:
I expect you don't believe 0079 is worth £80 then as its a 1979 series no where near HD Though it has been remastered

Actually, having thought about it, I think it's the fact Full Metal Panic! is £100 in one go that puts me off, with Gundam split into two parts you can buy one and then a wait a while before buying the second.

I really want to buy it, but we'll see if I can afford it or not. If I can't afford the entire series, I'll look at importing the movie DVDs from the US (sorry Andrew :()

thedoctor2016 said:
I know i know were getting extras it just upsets me gundam collection 2 is out a day after our part 1 release thoughts it already shipping in the US a month early

Slightly off topic and not meant as a dig, but you do realise you can edit posts right? Just that you seem to double post a lot, especially in this thread.

Where I stand (for what it's worth) on Fumoffu...

I picked up the UE already so not too relevant to me but I found S1 + S2 of FMP to be mediocre. Fumoffu though was hilarious. In fact Fumoffu made S1 + S2 worth watching just to get the character development for the sole purpose of making Fumoffu funnier.

Now if I had come into FMP as just S1 or S2 and Fumoffu was harder to get, I may have given up on the series and not bothered... Which would have been a real shame as Fumoffu really made it for me. So under the assumption that there are others out there who would feel the same way as myself I can see a lot of people giving up on the series if they don't get to experience Fumoffu. It's different... sure and quite possibly appeals to a different crowd... But making it difficult to access just seems like (to me) the result is a lot of people never finding out about a show that isn't what they may expect and may well enjoy.

Sorry bit of a ramble there. But yeah if possible I'd encourage AL to make it easily accessible... somehow..

thedoctor2016 said:
well the UE makes it accessible its being released
I wouldn't define a UE as "easily accessible" though due to the price being a barrier for a lot of people.

Andrew referred to the possibility of putting it out there as a stream. This was the concept I was supporting as an "easily accessible " method.

BlackStrat said:
HdE said:
Hating on a distributor is when you loudly or irrationally boycott their products, trash them at every available opportunity or attempt to actively dissuade others from buying their product (at least, that's my definition.)
Yes, and I'm sure you know people who boycott AL's products. I believe you even said something about that a while back, though I could be wrong. My question is, do they boycott Manga and MVM too? I'm sure some people were outraged when they saw the price point on Gurren Lagann's UE, but the truth is, you can now buy the standard edition for £22-£38, depending on where you buy it. Cowboy Bebop for £23-£39. Durarara for £22-£45. Again, I'm not sayin that's cheap, but it seems to me that it's within the UK industry standard prices for anime on Blu-ray.

Only just seen this, so just to make a quick response:

Sad to say, yeah. I do know people who at least claimed to boycott Anime Limited's products on grounds of price point. I wouldn't even mention this, except to say for the record that I don't agree with such a course of action, and I think it's ultimately a bit of a stupid stance. Pointedly refusing to buy a product because you deem it too expensive or somehow otherwise deficient doesn't send the message that some people seem to think it will. So it's not something I'd ever endorse. Communication of concerns, on the ther hand, is much more worthwhile.

The point you make about these folks boycotting MVM and Manga is a very good one, and it's one I've mentioned to them. At the end of the day, it comes back to this point I made:

HdE said:
Rule of consumerism: a product's worth is very often defined by the consumers themselves.

People can be very fickle in this regard, but what are you gonna do?

msgeek said:
thedoctor2016 said:
I wouldn't define a UE as "easily accessible" though due to the price being a barrier for a lot of people.

Andrew referred to the possibility of putting it out there as a stream. This was the concept I was supporting as an "easily accessible " method.

True if its streamed that would make it more easily accessible than a UE

msgeek said:
thedoctor2016 said:

Yeah I wouldn't define it as easily accessible either. A stream would be great for folks who have yet to be exposed to the series.

I'm with you on Fumoffu being funny and really having a different tone, though I did like the three of them. The first time I watched FMP all of it was already out, so I kind of watched the first season and Fumoffu back to back... and I just couldn't bring myself to finish TSR. I dropped it after 3 or 4 episodes, I think. I did end up watching it months later and quite enjoyed it so I guess Fumoffu and TSR focusing on a different aspect of FMP kind of cooled me off, the transition was too brutal—though that may work for some. There's a time and place for everything I guess. Anyway, to me, both Fumoffu and TSR were better than the first season in their own way.

Back