UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

IncendiaryLemon said:
You can like the show all you want but at some point you have to realise you're in the minority on something and just because you think that it's great doesn't mean it will sell a ton of copies and get critical acclaim or even get picked up by Anime Limited at all, which you seem certain of.

[spoilerbutton]
61JFYvgKOqL.jpg

:cry:[/spoilerbutton]

Minority opinions should be welcomed, but you're going to need to make your argument a bit stronger than 'X is underrated, Y is overrated deal with it' if you want people to take you seriously and not think you're being contrarian for the sake of it.

--

I hope that folks keep an eye on AL's blog, as there are some really fascinating pieces on there. Today Jasper Sharp reviews a collection of writing on The Atomic Bomb in Japanese Cinema - a subject that haunts anime from Astro Boy to Barefoot Gen to Evangelion.

@Andrew - The Optimum DVD of Barefoot Gen has been out for over 10 years now. They may well have renewed their rights, but if not then it's surely a shoo in for an AL release? One of the best animated films ever made.

Yami said:
IncendiaryLemon said:
You can like the show all you want but at some point you have to realise you're in the minority on something and just because you think that it's great doesn't mean it will sell a ton of copies and get critical acclaim or even get picked up by Anime Limited at all, which you seem certain of.

[spoilerbutton]
61JFYvgKOqL.jpg

Minority opinions should be welcomed, but you're going to need to make your argument a bit stronger than 'X is underrated, Y is overrated deal with it' if you want people to take you seriously and not think you're being contrarian for the sake of it.

--

I hope that folks keep an eye on AL's blog, as there are some really fascinating pieces on there. Today Jasper Sharp reviews a collection of writing on The Atomic Bomb in Japanese Cinema - a subject that haunts anime from Astro Boy to Barefoot Gen to Evangelion.

@Andrew - The Optimum DVD of Barefoot Gen has been out for over 10 years now. They may well have renewed their rights, but if not then it's surely a shoo in for an AL release? One of the best animated films ever made.

All well justified opinions welcomed! There're so many shows and films I'd love to pick up if they came up for purchase...

Barefoot Gen is definitely one like that, will be keeping my eyes open for it if it does come up :3!

Andrew

anime_andrew said:
Yami said:
IncendiaryLemon said:

[spoilerbutton]
61JFYvgKOqL.jpg

--

All well justified opinions welcomed! There're so many shows and films I'd love to pick up if they came up for purchase...

Barefoot Gen is definitely one like that, will be keeping my eyes open for it if it does come up :3!

Andrew

No care for God eater though :(

I wouldn't worry. Your interest in God Eater will have been noticed, as do all of our requests that we mention every now and then. Doesn't mean A/L will get the rights but Andrew has always been great when it comes to listening to the fans and doing what he can.

Patience is the key :)

Buzz201 said:
thedoctor2016 said:
I'm the only active advocate of Free too but that is popular

I've seen Free! fans, just not on the forum. He doesn't go on about it as much as you, but NormanicGrav is a fan of sports anime. I think he likes Free! too, but don't quote me on that.

It's true that I do enjoy sports anime (I've only seen Kuroko's Basketball, Haikyuu!! and Yowamushi Pedal) but I haven't seen Free! as of yet.

I'll watch it eventually, just not now. :lol:

As for God Eater I did like that show though it would've been better if the story was improved.

thedoctor2016 said:
Yeah and eternal summer is owned by FUNi so AL could easily get it

You sound like you know a lot about sub licensing ;)

I wonder if the three titles leaked by amazon were something AL were saving for the Birmingham comic con? After blowing their load in London I can't imagine them having much to announce at Birmingham so these three would likely have been the news for the event?

Buzz201 said:
thedoctor2016 said:

I've seen Free! fans, just not on the forum. He doesn't go on about it as much as you, but NormanicGrav is a fan of sports anime. I think he likes Free! too, but don't quote me on that.
I love Free! I own the discotek dvd release of the first season and have Funi's premium edition of Eternal Summer on pre-order. Plus I own the alter figures that have been released.

NormanicGrav said:
It's true that I do enjoy sports anime (I've only seen Kuroko's Basketball, Haikyuu!! and Yowamushi Pedal) but I haven't seen Free! as of yet.

Apologies for casting aspersions on your good name. :(

Gemsy-chan said:
Buzz201 said:
thedoctor2016 said:

I love Free! I own the discotek dvd release of the first season and have Funi's premium edition of Eternal Summer on pre-order. Plus I own the alter figures that have been released.

I only own Rin at the moment but plan to get Haru and Makoto eventually

Buzz201 said:
NormanicGrav said:

Apologies for casting aspersions on your good name. :(

It's okay. :thumb:

On the topic about Anime Limited, back in the license thread Andrew mentioned he likes to pickup Kadokawa titles. It actually took me a while to realise this.

Gosick and Nichijou are potential titles, as well as..

[spoilerbutton]
1412581216-1411660603-o.jpg

Hyouka.[/spoilerbutton]
Just curious that's all (SOMEBODY LICENSE THIS SHOW ALREADY!).

thedoctor2016 said:
Do people think gundam Unicorn could get a cheaper release as part as the deal with sunrise as well as Origin
Unicorn got a reasonably cheap DVD release from RightStuf, so AL would probably be able to do that.

I'd love a cheap release of The Origin, but I think it'll be a while before Sunrise let that one go.

Buzz201 said:
thedoctor2016 said:
Do people think gundam Unicorn could get a cheaper release as part as the deal with sunrise as well as Origin
Unicorn got a reasonably cheap DVD release from RightStuf, so AL would probably be able to do that.

I'd love a cheap release of The Origin, but I think it'll be a while before Sunrise let that one go.

I'd be 100% supportive of a cheaper BD release for Unicorn - not that I think it's likely to happen for various reasons. That said, the R1 DVDs look amazing.

Affordable releases for the more recent shows is something I really would like to see happen sooner rather than later. Not that I expect miracles (The Origin is still ongoing, after all, and Unicorn was worked out with RightStuf! prior to the Sunrise deal that's making all these other shows available.)

Back