Anime Expo 2015 + SDCC News Thread

Re: Anime Expo 2015 News Thread

I'm utterly fed up of HG at this point - their attitude is pure arrogance if they think there's really so much value left in Robotech.

I enjoy Robotech and it has its place in the history of anime fandom in the west, but that should never be at the expense of clock-blocking English Macross releases until the end of time.

I'd imagine that their strategy is one of attrition and frustration, ie.
Continue to block all Macross releases in the hope that Big West/Studio Nue eventually try and 'negotiate' a settlement of sorts.

Of course they shouldn't have to, and part of me would resent HG getting anything from the franchise as they're not entitled. But, it wouldn't surprise me if it eventually went that way, if only to bring an end to the whole sorry affair.

anime_andrew said:
HdE said:
HOLY CRABSTICKS WITH SWEET POTATO SALAD!!!

Didn't I say there'd be Gundam?

And lo, the Gundam did come to pass, and it was voluminous in its abundance!

May not have to wait so long for news in the UK too ;).

AP

If I were tempted by rightstuf's dvd release of Turn-A Gundam..... You'd say that was a bit obscure for the UK market, right?

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 2012 English Dub cast have been revealed for certain characters:

Jonathan: Johnny Yong Bosch
Dio: Patrick Seitz
Joseph: Ben Diskin
Caesar: Bryce Papenbrook
Smokey: Robbie Daymond

Kevin McMullan directs the English dub.

Hmmmm. Interesting choice for Jonathan. It's one of those things where I think he might be able to do it but I don't think I've seen him do something like this before. He mostly tends to go for high schoolers most of the time, so it will be interesting to see how it sounds. I'm a little disappointed they didn't get anyone British although that might have limited them somewhat. As for the others, they haven't been in any show I've seen so I can't say anything really.

burtkenobi said:
If I were tempted by rightstuf's dvd release of Turn-A Gundam..... You'd say that was a bit obscure for the UK market, right?

Some heavy hints have been dropped that Turn A may well appear in the UK.
(Keeping my fingers crossed for Reconguista In G as well.)

ayase said:
It's a poorly animated filler episode directed by Tomino that he basically thinks is so crap it detracts from the series. As for why it's left in in Japan I guess we can only speculate, but I suppose there would be a certain nostalgia factor there and fans might be upset if it weren't included, but it seems Tomino believes the show is better introduced to new audiences without that episode. Kind of like the particularly drunken night out you and your old friends can look back on and laugh but which you wouldn't relate to new ones.

It's easy enough to find if you do want to watch it, but you're really not missing much.

Fair enough if he wants his director's cut, but to include it in the Japanese release but not the international release still seems bizarre to me although I see your reasoning. Even if it were included as a bonus feature it would be better than not including it at all. Regardless of quality, I'm a bit of a purist on these matters

HdE said:
Some heavy hints have been dropped that Turn A may well appear in the UK.
(Keeping my fingers crossed for Reconguista In G as well.)
Anime Ltd. has physical rights for Rec G, so I can't see why they wouldn't use them.

Viz's Shojo Beat Panel
- New license: Shuriken and Pleats (Shuriken to Pleats) manga by Vampire Knight author Matsuri Hino
- New license: Behind the Scenes (Urakata!!) manga by Ouran High School Host Club author Bisco Hatori

Crunchyroll Panel
- Regions below are TBA
- Catalog: Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Subtitled
- Catalog: Anohana: The Flowers We Saw That Day
- Catalog: Wagnaria!! Season 1
- Simulcasts: Million Doll
- Simulcasts: Senki Zesshou Symphogear GX: Believe in Justice and Hold a Determination to Fist.
- Simulcasts: The Perfect Insider *out in October*
- Simulcasts: Teekyu 5
- Simulcasts: Non Non Biyori Repeat
- Simulcasts: Gatchaman Crowds Insight
- Simulcasts: To Love-Ru Trouble Darkness
- Simulcasts: Monster Musume/Everyday Life with Monster Girls (Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou)
- Manga announcements tomorrow

Roundup of the recent panels:

Kodansha Comics
- New license: Magatsuki manga ~ February 2016
- New license: Princess Jellyfish (Kuragehime) manga ~ February 2016
- New license: Real Account manga ~ March 2016
- Notes: Princess Jellyfish to be released in large format 2-in-1 omnibus volumes with only the first 12 volumes licensed (therefore 6 2-in-1's).
- Notes: Due to excellent sales, Noragami: Stray God will be released monthly starting October 2015.

MangaGamer
- News: Umineko: When They Cry to arrive onto Steam with updated translation, OST and options to change to new or older sprite art.
- New license: Himawari: The Sunflower, Frontwing's remake of the eroge game. Eroge copies to include a Steam code of the All Ages version.
- New license: A Kiss For The Petals -Remembering How We Met, all ages yuri game which started off on mobile now being ported to PC.
- News: MangaGamer partners with adult game company Alice Soft
- New license: As part of their new partnership, their first title together will be Beat Blades Haruka

Sekai Project
- New license: G-senjou no Maou - The Devil on G-String, popular eroge game finally receiving an English release, Steam this summer
- New license: Chrono Clock, eroge game with Sekai planning to remove eroge content for Steam release (similar to G-senjou)
- New license: Root Double: Before Crime * After Days: Xtend Edition, in collaboration with Lemnisca Translations
- New license: Sunrider: Liberation Day, all ages game
- News: WORLD END ECONOMiCA episode.02 sequel in July
- News: Narcissu remake project announced

And we are nearly at a close for this expo, here's the last remaining panels:

07:15pm | Yen Press Industry Panel
08:15pm | Aniplex Gameshow
08:30pm | Crunchyroll Manga Panel

NormanicGrav said:
Roundup of the recent panels:

MangaGamer
- News: Umineko: When They Cry to arrive onto Steam with updated translation, OST and options to change to new or older sprite art.

Great news!
NormanicGrav said:
Sekai Project
- New license: G-senjou no Maou - The Devil on G-String, popular eroge game finally receiving an English release, Steam this summer
Even greater news! Was wondering if anyone would ever give this an English release.

I'm not sure if it was an Expo announcement, but Seven Seas have announced Angel Beats: Heaven's Door to start releasing in February 2016.

Elaniel said:
I'm not sure if it was an Expo announcement, but Seven Seas have announced Angel Beats: Heaven's Door to start releasing in February 2016.

Seven Seas aren't there (the only event they go to is San Diego Comic Con). The timing just happened to overlap.

Yen Press - Updated with clearer information

The following manga will be released in print:
- Catalogue: Handa-kun ~ Print in January 2016, Barakamon spin-off that's outselling Barakamon in Japan
- New license: Log Horizon: The West Wind Brigade
- New license: My Youth Romantic Comedy is Wrong as I Expected
- New license: Sword Art Online: Phantom Bullet (manga)
- New license: Sword Art Online: Mother's Rosario (manga)
- New license: Demonizer Zilch
- New license: Taboo Tattoo
- New license: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend (manga)

The following manga will be released digitally first (as proven by Handa-kun, there is a chance of a print release happening):
- New license: Aphorism ~ digital tankubon starting November
- New license: Sekirei ~ digital tankubon starting November
- New license: Saki
- New license: Black Detective (kuro no tantei)
- New license: Aoharu x Machinegun ~ to be out in December
- New license: Corpse Princess (Shikabane Hime) ~ to be out in November
- New license: Crimson Prince (Kurenai ouji) ~ to be out in November
- New license: Renaissance Eve ~ to be out in December

The following manga that will begin simultaneous publication with Square Enix titles:
- Catalogue: Black Butler
- Catalogue: Handa-kun
- Catalogue: Today's Cerebrus
- Catalogue: The Royal Tutor (Oushitsu Kyushi haine)
- New license: Kake Gurui
- New license: My Monster Girl's Too Cool For you (Ore no Kanojo ni Nanika youkai) by Karino Takatsu
- New license: Demon King Ena-sama Goes to a Manga School

The following light novel (via Yen On imprint) will be released in print:
- New license: Another Episode S ~ Hardcover omnibus edition with Another 0 one shot manga
- New license: Baccano! (Novel) ~ Early 2016
- New license: My Youth Romantic Comedy is Wrong as I Expected (My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU) ~ Early 2016

NormanicGrav said:
Yen Press
- New license: Baccano! (Novel), Story by Ryohgo Narita, Illustrations by Katsumi Enami
- New license: My Youth Romantic Comedy is Wrong as I Expected (My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU), story by Wataru Watari
- Illustration and character designs by Ponkan(8) with both the light novel and the manga starting in early 2016
Nice!

The sum total of those announcements make it soundlike YP is in a really strong position.

ilmaestro said:
NormanicGrav said:
Yen Press
- New license: Baccano! (Novel), Story by Ryohgo Narita, Illustrations by Katsumi Enami
- New license: My Youth Romantic Comedy is Wrong as I Expected (My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU), story by Wataru Watari
- Illustration and character designs by Ponkan(8) with both the light novel and the manga starting in early 2016
Nice!

The sum total of those announcements make it soundlike YP is in a really strong position.

So far Sword Art Online and Log Horizon light novels are doing really well for them, while I've heard Accel World is their least selling Yen On light novel so far.

ilmaestro said:
Nice!

Deb Aoki's been live tweeting from the panel, apparently light novels are performing better than expected.
"We have a lot of faith in light novels – it's performing beyond our expectations." - Kurt Hassler

I'm personally curious to see what the 5 new manga titles Crunchyroll has and are currently announcing are.

Back