Anime Expo 2015 + SDCC News Thread

Re: Anime Expo 2015 News Thread

Bah Accel World is great more people need to buy it...

Anyway good announcements but the lack of Highschool DxD makes me sad...

Crunchyroll Manga
- CR: New manga titles!, who is ready for new announcements? We recently picked up 3 more titles from Square Enix!
- New addition: The Morose Mononokean (Fukigenna Mononokean) by Kiri Wazawa, launching today at 5pm worldwide
- New addition: Takahashi-san (Takahashisan ga kiiteiru) is listening by Yuu Hokou, launching today at 5pm
- New addition: Scum's Wish (Kuzu no Honkai) by Mengo Yokoyari, also launching today at 5pm
- CR: Next title from Kodansha
- New addition: Sweetness and Lightning (Ama to Inazuma) by Gido Amagakure, launches 7/15 at 5pm
- New addition: Princess Jellyfish (Kuragehime) by Akiko Higashimura, first 4 volumes launch 7/15 @ 5pm, volumes added regulary after that
- CR: stay tuned to the site for more details and territories

And that's it for the announcements. A lot of news happened these past few days which really surprised me, probably the best expo in ages.

NormanicGrav said:
So far Sword Art Online and Log Horizon light novels are doing really well for them, while I've heard Accel World is their least selling Yen On light novel so far.
I guess that's understandable, AW really needed that second anime season to stay at that level of visibility the other two have enjoyed (and that doesn't seem to be coming, so). Shame, because AW is pure gasoline.

Buzz201 said:
ilmaestro said:
Nice!

The sum total of those announcements make it soundlike YP is in a really strong position.

Deb Aoki's been live tweeting from the panel, apparently light novels are performing better than expected.
"We have a lot of faith in light novels – it's performing beyond our expectations." - Kurt Hassler
Groovy.

burtkenobi said:
anime_andrew said:
HdE said:
HOLY CRABSTICKS WITH SWEET POTATO SALAD!!!

Didn't I say there'd be Gundam?

And lo, the Gundam did come to pass, and it was voluminous in its abundance!

May not have to wait so long for news in the UK too ;).

AP

If I were tempted by rightstuf's dvd release of Turn-A Gundam..... You'd say that was a bit obscure for the UK market, right?

Not at all - I in fact made a reference to it at MCM Comic Con in May ;). Am also a huge fan of it and other Gundam so watch this space ;).

AP

Oh wow, the Baccano announcement has made my week. I can finally continue the story of one of my top 5 shows. Fantastic announcement.

ilmaestro said:
NormanicGrav said:
So far Sword Art Online and Log Horizon light novels are doing really well for them, while I've heard Accel World is their least selling Yen On light novel so far.
I guess that's understandable, AW really needed that second anime season to stay at that level of visibility the other two have enjoyed (and that doesn't seem to be coming, so). Shame, because AW is pure gasoline.
It's a shame to be sure, I went on a tear on ANN's AW threads when the complaint of the day was "Haruyuki is fat" and basically threw Sword Art Online Under the bus with little information available at the time (I called Kirito a 'McProtagonist' and called to attention the fact that Haruyuki's stature is a more believable reason as to why he would be so mercilessly bullied than most anime come up with) and whilst I revised my statement somewhat (Kirito is a bit generic, no getting around that but there are times when the author's genius comes through; When Kritio's allowed to be anything but his standard stoic state he's pretty great; be that the victim of comedy or on the edge of scumming to the same insanity that takes SAO's antagonists be it Kyaba's Sociopathy, Sougo's Psychopathy or Death Gun's Deal.) I still think AW's the stronger narratively speaking.

That all said if Yen Plus could have put these on Ebook, that would probably have solved a lot of the problems that would stop one from picking up AW over other LN's. You don't hear how No Game No Life is floundering in spite of it's heavy bent towards inappropriate images of it's female cast (most worryingly Shiro) and AW is not one to shy away from showing everyone (in particular Kuroyuki) in verious states of undress.

Some of the stuff does worry me a little in a 'bubble' sense - eg. Everyone getting in on the streaming game and doing exclusives, high value Pony Canyon style sets for shows that aren't top tier, and Western companies starting to join Japanese production committees.

The trouble is, it all seems like such a good idea at the time, but all it takes is one stinker and things don't look so rosy. Try as you might, manufacturing a 'hit' isn't easy - nobody is just going to Magic the next Attack on Titan out of nowhere.

Lutga said:
Some of the stuff does worry me a little in a 'bubble' sense - eg. Everyone getting in on the streaming game and doing exclusives, high value Pony Canyon style sets for shows that aren't top tier, and Western companies starting to join Japanese production committees.

The trouble is, it all seems like such a good idea at the time, but all it takes is one stinker and things don't look so rosy. Try as you might, manufacturing a 'hit' isn't easy - nobody is just going to Magic the next Attack on Titan out of nowhere.

The way people are talking, Western companies on production committees is a sign people are spending far too much money and are attempting to rein it back in.

But, I think Daisuki (or Anime Consortium Japan) getting involved in streaming is the logical endpoint for the Japanese companies, why would you sell your rights away to somebody else, when you can (hopefully) make more money and keep more control if you do it yourself? It does surprise me that they're suddenly getting involved quite as forcefully as they are though...

I also think a CR competitor like Viewster was inevitable, it's very hard for one company to keep their focus evenly on the entire world, and whether it's intentional or not it's clear CR are starting to let Europe slip slightly.

The problem is CR just works as a service so if something pops up elsewhere (and isn't Netflix or Amazon) It might as well not exist.

Japan seems to finally be getting on board with streaming now across the board, ie. With the heavier push for Daisuki. I wonder how Apple Music launching as a streaming service in Japan will influence the anisong industry, as that's very physical centric, and Japan previously didn't really get behind music streaming/Spotify etc.

No news on Evangelion: 3.33, there is however two conventions with Funimation panels - San Diego Comic Con (this weekend) and Otakon (later in the month). Otakon would be a likely bet for some news.

Western companies being on production committees has happened before, of course. As has ADV licensing an assload of titles, and even (although not to the same extent) a company being in Pony Canyon's position at the same time (if you'll allow a little bit of artistic licence to this obvious Geneon comparison).

Look how well that all turned out!

ConanThe3rd said:
That all said if Yen Plus could have put these on Ebook, that would probably have solved a lot of the problems that would stop one from picking up AW over other LN's.
Absolutely. I think this is essential going forward.

The problem with SAO, AW, and LH's LN releases is that the jp publisher (defently the same for SAO and AW and probaly for LH but don't quote me on that) is practising the time honoured Japanese edict of shoving its head up its **** in regards to other formats.

Frankly, sometimes I get the impression that Japan would sooner sink to the sea than allow any one of it's companys to simply go from A to B in any given affair.

Log Horizon is not actually a Light Novel, and is published by a different label so I can't speak for that. As far as SAO and AW go, I assume there is something more behind it since Dengeki Bunko now publish a lot of their output as eBooks (some on Kindle, others only via BookWalker which is its own kind of tilt). It is frustrating how long in general companies take to adopt these new trends, though, I agree.

Log Horizon is available in ebook format in Japan.

Indeed, the 9th volume is currently rank 1 for the week on Bookwalker.

Log Horizon is published by Enterbrain, whilst SAO and Accel World (along with about half of yen on's light novels) are Dengeki Bunko, which is published by ASCII Media Works. Both are brand companies of Kadokawa, but almost every one of Yen Press's light novels are - DanMachi (GA Bunko/SB Creative/Softbank) and Pandora Hearts ~Caucus Race~ (GFantasy Novels/EX Novels/Square-Enix) being the only exceptions that have actually been released to date.

It's worth noting that Kadokawa's sister company runs niconico, which includes Nico Nico Seiga which hosts a very large number of light novels.

I don't know where you're getting your idea that Japanese retailers aren't very good with releasing e-books. It might have been accurate four or five years ago, but it's completely wrong nowadays.

Back