Anime at the cinema

Watching Weathering With You in IMAX tomorrow, looking forward to it.

Never mentioned this but I also watched Konosuba in the cinema last year. I’ve never even seen the show but I decided to watch the movie because it was showing near my house and in a moment of madness I ordered tickets. I was going to watch the show before hand but I couldn’t be bothered in the end. When the movie started, in the back row of a full auditorium I thought to myself “what the hell have I got myself into!” as the crowd burst into cheers as the main characters showed themselves onscreen but I ended up...enjoying the movie?! It was actually pretty funny. Sometimes taking risks works out, sometimes.

My anime obsession won out-I'm gonna go see Weathering tonight dubbed. At least the theater is only 2 blocks away from where I live so I can walk there.

Last edited:
Saw Weathering tonight with 3 friends - eh, it was Ok I guess, but I wasn't overly excited about it. I think Your Name was far far better, and with much better Radwimps music too. The global warming / climate change nonsense in the interview was also a turnoff for me. I'm not so sure if I actually liked this movie enough to buy any Blu-ray release for my collection. Ah well, I guess I'll need to watch it again - and definitely subbed next time. Had to watch the dubbed showing tonight for my friends' sake, but me and dubs just do not get along at all. 6 or maybe a 6.5 out of 10 for me after this first viewing.

Last edited:
Just got back from Weathering With You-I won't bother to review it. Just a few observations-the background art was gorgeous as usual, the story and characters were well done, the dub was excellent. I'd rate it 8 out of 10 points.

Just seen Weathering With You and all I can say is I loved every minute of it. Only bug bear for me is translating yen into dollars.

I want the OST as I loved every song.

Got back from watching Weathering with You, damn I thought watching anime in a cinema was the high life but that's like watching a bootleg vhs compared to anime in IMAX, this has ruined everything, nothing will ever match.

I saw Your Name. on an IMAX. I didn't think it made it that much better. Maybe if it was the dub and I didn't have to look at the bottom of the screen so much it might have been a better experience.
Yeah I could see that being an issue, the screen fills your while peripheral vision and so you have to look down to see the subs lol but I got used to it, I mean there's people that can't wrap their minds around reading subs on a regular screen never mind on an IMAX screen so there's always going to be a little adjustment but it didn't hinder my experience at all, the massive canvas just looks soo good, the artwork looked incredible. rip to the people in the front rows tho.

Lol, probably the only thing the people in the front row seats were able to see on the IMAX screen were the subtitles... 😁

I myself wouldn't mind subtitles even in IMAX because I'm a proficient speed reader - I have no trouble reading two full lines of subtitles in about a half-second - at least twice the speed I could speak them. Subtitles for me are but a single glance out of many as my eyes take in the images in a scene. I would love to see Your Name in IMAX, and especially subtitled, since I always prefer watching anime in Japanese.

Saw Weathering With You today. Superb film. I think I enjoyed Your Name more on the first viewing however (I cried more in Your Name at any rate). The first section was a little slow but once things kicked into gear it was awesome. The animation was some of the best I've ever seen. Shinkai has always loved the effect of sunlight and how it lights environments so in many ways this movie was always destined to be made. The dub was astonishingly good. I was worried when 'normal' actors were announced on the cast but everyone was perfect.

Just got back from watching Weathering With You a third and fourth time. It’s still amazing and I cannot wait to try the dub tomorrow.

At least I didn't have to worry about reading subtitles because it was dubbed-I'm a very proficient reader but would rather read books than movies. One more thing-I really don't like the Radwimps, Shinkai should find a new group to do the insert songs for his movies.

Only bug bear for me is translating yen into dollars.
Agreed, and it didn't help that they got it wrong as well :(
you can figure out what the ¥ should have been by adding two 0s
Except when he hands over 2000 yen and the subtitles refer to it as $200. I wish I had $200 for every £13 I had :(

When me and a friend went to see Okko's Inn, they cancelled the subbed showing we'd booked and moved everyone into the dubbed which was annoying. You could tell from the way the film played out that certain aspects had been left out of the translation and not mentioned. I didn't realise until then how heavily it can affect the film, but I expect you can't really say how good a dub was until you've seen the bits they left out?

Except when he hands over 2000 yen and the subtitles refer to it as $200. I wish I had $200 for every £13 I had :(
Obviously poor research there. Every manga I read where they spend money the note always say ¥100 is c.$1.

I like the fact that they just do a McDonalds or Google or Yahooo or whatever it is without having to make up a different name for legal reasons.
The same happened in Your Name. I guess Shinkai is a big enough name for them to give the OK. The prominence of McDonald's in WwY made me think that it was product placement otherwise they would have had her work in a made up restaurant like in YN.
Actually makes MDs look bad for employing a girl who should legally be in school!

I guess Shinkai is a big enough name for them to give the OK. The prominence of McDonald's in WwY made me think that it was product placement otherwise they would have had her work in a made up restaurant like in YN.
There's actually nothing to stop people using brand names in fictional media, it comes under fair use. The main reason some major media producers don't and instead come up with generic brands is because they don't want to give anyone free advertising - They expect to be paid for that!

There's actually nothing to stop people using brand names in fictional media, it comes under fair use. The main reason some major media producers don't and instead come up with generic brands is because they don't want to give anyone free advertising - They expect to be paid for that!
I thought Japanese law was stricter than most. Which is why something like South Park wouldn't work with all the references, so you don't see say a Kirito alike in say Konosuba which takes the pee out of the Isekai genre.

Back