Anime at the cinema

Me and my mum are going to the My Hero Academia movie on Sunday at the Vue in Cambridge. As it's the nearest and easiest to get to by public transport(train) . I watch the series Subbed as due to my subscription on CR but I could only get the screening dubbed as the other screenings were either too late or on days we couldn't do.
I don't mind as from clips of heard of the dub sound pretty good and Funimation do pretty good dubs👍.Really looking forward to seeing it😍.

I'll be seeing it later today at my local Odeon.

I haven't seen a single episode of the actual show, but hey. I did the same with Sword Art Online, Fairy Tail and Dragonball Z and still enjoyed them.

Seems like quite a few Vue cinemas screened the dubbed version of the MHA film instead of the sub as advertised. Someone in my screening complained and was told all they got sent was the dub. Annoying error on the distributor's part if true; I booked both days thinking I'd see subbed and dubbed, but no guess it's dub twice for me. Ah well, at least it's only a fiver each day.

Seems like quite a few Vue cinemas screened the dubbed version of the MHA film instead of the sub as advertised. Someone in my screening complained and was told all they got sent was the dub. Annoying error on the distributor's part if true; I booked both days thinking I'd see subbed and dubbed, but no guess it's dub twice for me. Ah well, at least it's only a fiver each day.

Fiver? Wow! Blockbuster prices for me here.

I had the subbed version (as advertised) at the Vue in Plymouth.

/umiko

My local Cineworld showed the dub last night too, the sub is tonight.

The only screening advertised as being subtitled in the Vue here is at 3pm on Sunday.

Just caught a dubbed screening followed by a subbed screening of Dragon Ball Super Broly and it was amazing. I'm going to have to try and find time and money to catch an IMAX screening now they've listed some.

Just caught a dubbed showing of Broly.
Brilliant.
Nice revamp of the origins story and superb animation.
Would watch it again if they listed more screenings local to me.

I really enjoyed it and the animation was amazing kinda wish DBS stays film again however that leak suggests not.
And glad it confirmed the original films were badly written

I really enjoyed it and the animation was amazing kinda wish DBS stays film again however that leak suggests not.
And glad it confirmed the original films were badly written
Doc actually supported a theatrical anime release? Well, the world had a good run, happy apocalypse everyone.

Back from my subbed screening of Broly, damn that was fun. The whole movie was pure fan service and it forwent any filler, never meandering and instead just getting straight to the point, no time was wasted on transformations or powering up or any other familiar elements that one usually expects from Dragon Ball and it was refreshing to see this change of pace. The 100 minute run-time sprinted by at supersonic speed, time really does fly when you're having fun.

I've heard some people complain about the audio mix and I have to agree, music seems to be drowned out but overall the ost was pretty good, at times super goofy in an endearing way. I guess depending on your history with Dragon Ball or lack thereof this movie is either endearing or obnoxious, there's not much here for the unacquainted in my opinion, but as a fan of the series it was exactly what I was looking for. Much like Super, Broly plays with expectations of preconceived characters and settings and relies on the 30 years of material, canon and non-canon to deliver a story that both mingles with the established and takes it in a different direction. Self-aware, it often does away with the formalities and cuts to the chase. In keeping with Toriyama's rewriting of the past, be it short term memory loss or pure indecisiveness, plot points are changed to suit the story being told, and that's fine, after all we're all here to see Goku, Vegeta and Broly fight. The focus on Planet Vegeta and its inhabitants during the first third of the film however was more interesting than I thought it would be, if for any reason just to see a canon take on something already told elsewhere.

Visually the film is a looker. The story-boarding is often meticulous with loads of unconventional camera angles utilized, some scenes straight up coming across as just plain showing off, at the same time a few CG focused scenes are a little rough in spots. The movie is both colourful and vibrant. The characters exude youthfulness in their depictions and movements, easily the best each respective character has looked ever. The animation is fluid and that juxtaposed with the often sketchy character models makes for a stunning combination. Intentionally depicting characters off model is a common occurrence in this film, with characters contorting in ways that I can already see a fair few moviegoers mistake as bad animation, however it's far from it, and overall the animation is a delight. The fight does get chaotic at times however the choreography is mesmerising and exciting, the offbeat soundtrack helps a lot in this department too, again it's unconventional and inspired. With a focus on a small and concentrated cast there's tonnes of close ups of character faces and there's effort put into the expressions which helped inject a good amount of personality to the cast and growing up with the English dubbed iteration of Dragon Ball I was very impressed with the Japanese voice acting.

Dragon Ball Super: Broly is a load of fun, playful almost to a fault, the film is pure fan service, and for once that's not a bad thing.

My biggest complaint about Broly was the idiot behind me who kept kneeing my seat in the back and stamping his foot on my armrest.

Between this and MCM Loves Anime a few years back, can anime fans learn some damn manners at cinema screenings?

Thankfully anime movies shown in theaters in my area never seem to attract more than 20-25 people in the seats, so there is always plenty of room to spread out and sit away from everyone else. Still, I'm glad I have my own projection theater room in my basement, so I don't feel much need to go out to a public theater at all, other than to attend some of these special anime showings.

Normally if I see anime at the cinema in last few years it's been a press screening in London, which is usually without issue since it's journalists in a smaller theatre. No local cinemas show anime releases so it's rare I'll pay out to travel. Broly was an exception so made a booking at the O2 Arena.

Back