"But we're both girls!" - The Yuri Thread

'Run Away With Me Girl' is so good oh my god. Really short but it crams so much in there. Just a really wonderful and intimate story, at times very upsetting but so worth pushing to the end. It might even be tied for the best manga I have ever read, and it managed to do it in only sixteen chapters. If any yuri fan is considering it right now, definitely read it, you're sleeping on an absolute masterpiece.

Just bought vol 1 from the current Bookwalker coin back event. Vol 2 is on there, but not eligible, so must be fairly recent. I'll wait for all 3 before reading.
2 came out last month and 3 should be coming out in May. I'm gonna grab the 2 paper copies then wait for the 3rd. Not gonna re-read immediately so I'm happy enough waiting until May.

Godbless this thread for bringing more yuri goodness into my life. I've been out of the loop on anime especially for a while so I had no idea there were new shows already out. Guess I got some stuff to catch up on!
Magirevo is true yuri as well, it's not subtextual. In fact there are a lot of true yuri anime coming out this year that will be worth checking out. I don't know if it will be a flash in the pan and I'll be back to manga/LN only soon, but it'll be nice while it lasts.

Is Lycoris Recoil true yuri as well? Because I've seen it been mentioned a lot but when I looked into it, I wasn't too sure whether it was so I've held it off.

Is Lycoris Recoil true yuri as well? Because I've seen it been mentioned a lot but when I looked into it, I wasn't too sure whether it was so I've held it off.
It's not really canon but I'd place it in the yuri-adjacent category since there's a lot of focus on Chisato and Takina's relationship. The show does have canon gay characters however so it's not too farfetched for them to make it a true yuri for the sequel. I'd still recommend it for being a really solid show regardless.

It's not really canon but I'd place it in the yuri-adjacent category since there's a lot of focus on Chisato and Takina's relationship. The show does have canon gay characters however so it's not too farfetched for them to make it a true yuri for the sequel. I'd still recommend it for being a really solid show regardless.
Yeah there being canon gay characters already that were treated respectfully gives me way more hope than any other series that it might go that way in series 2. After all the bond Chisato and Takina have in series 1 is already incredibly strong, it just isn't guaranteed to become explictly romantic. I'd say Lycoris Recoil already meets the Japanese conception of yuri since that can include non-romantic bonds if they're suitably strong, but probably not yuri in the sense we would use it.

Me personally, I feel like there is more than enough subtext for me to latch onto to make it yuri in my own headcanon.

Gonna stick this here since I hadn't seen anyone else mention it and it seems relevant to people in this thread. Seven Seas appear to be doing a reprint of 'Hana and Hina After School'. I can't find any further information beyond the storefronts but both Amazon and Blackwells have preorder pages up for all 3 volumes and the product information states it is Seven Seas English editions. This could have something to do with the prices at which volumes 2 and 3 are going for used, they aren't technically out of print on the publisher website, but it's clear that stores haven't been selling new copies for a while now. I'm glad they're keeping a Morinaga Milk manga circulating in physical copies, the scalpers really annoy me. I'll post the Blackwells links in case anyone is interested, I only had volume 1 so I've already put in preorders on 2 and 3.

Last edited:
Watching Onimai, I can't figure out if this counts as GL these days. The whole guy-undergoes-a-forced-sex-change trope was one of the ways manga authors used to slip GL under the wire back when the genre was more closeted (Kashimashi comes to mind), but it's a different landscape today. The protagonist seemed to identify as male initially, but that's become increasingly grey as the series goes on. They sure were giddy about that new lip balm this week.

whatislove.jpg

Watching Onimai, I can't figure out if this counts as GL these days. The whole guy-undergoes-a-forced-sex-change trope was one of the ways manga authors used to slip GL under the wire back when the genre was more closeted (Kashimashi comes to mind), but it's a different landscape today. The protagonist seemed to identify as male initially, but that's become increasingly grey as the series goes on. They sure were giddy about that new lip balm this week.

Genuine question but is 'Onimai' peak fanservice trash or has it got some substance to it? I looked at the MAL page and couldn't decide lol. Like I looked at the synopsis and it seems to suggest trash, but then one of the characters in a video thumbnail appeared to have trans flag colours in their hair and I got very confused as to what the creator was actually going for here.

Genuine question but is 'Onimai' peak fanservice trash or has it got some substance to it? I looked at the MAL page and couldn't decide lol. Like I looked at the synopsis and it seems to suggest trash, but then one of the characters in a video thumbnail appeared to have trans flag colours in their hair and I got very confused as to what the creator was actually going for here.
It's a tonally muddled show, to be honest. Early episodes have a fair bit of fan service that apparently wasn't in the manga. Beyond that it starts out looking like it will be a gloves-off exploration of a guy getting a taste of the crap girls have to put up with, but slowly turns into fluffy CGDCT with some romantic undertones.

Gonna stick this here since I hadn't seen anyone else mention it and it seems relevant to people in this thread. Seven Seas appear to be doing a reprint of 'Hana and Hina After School'. I can't find any further information beyond the storefronts but both Amazon and Blackwells have preorder pages up for all 3 volumes and the product information states it is Seven Seas English editions. This could have something to do with the prices at which volumes 2 and 3 are going for used, they aren't technically out of print on the publisher website, but it's clear that stores haven't been selling new copies for a while now. I'm glad they're keeping a Morinaga Milk manga circulating in physical copies, the scalpers really annoy me. I'll post the Blackwells links in case anyone is interested, I only had volume 1 so I've already put in preorders on 2 and 3.

Do blackwell take money immediately or before they despatch?

It's a tonally muddled show, to be honest. Early episodes have a fair bit of fan service that apparently wasn't in the manga. Beyond that it starts out looking like it will be a gloves-off exploration of a guy getting a taste of the crap girls have to put up with, but slowly turns into fluffy CGDCT with some romantic undertones.
In the anime I totally ship the older sister Mihari with the gyaru Kaede. There's far too many scenes of hugging, going out on a date and even a kiss for them to not be more than just friends.

I see no one has mentioned how 'Gushing over Magical Girls' is getting an anime adaptation. It is definitely yuri, but based on the subject matter I predict that no one will license to air it here and if they do it's going to be censored to hell. Mahou Shoujo ni Akogarete

I predict the people who found Onimai controversial their heads will explode if they watch this one.

Back