"But we're both girls!" - The Yuri Thread

I read this is coming Winter 2023 as well:

The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady

I wonder if they will only adapt the first two volumes of the LN. It basically becomes a completely different story from volume 3 onwards.
Isekai normally get at least two seasons, no matter how bad they are, but GL shows almost never get more than one season anymore (off the top of my head, YuruYuri is the only one from the last decade that got more). It will be interesting to see which force proves stronger.

I read this is coming Winter 2023 as well:

The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady

Might have to give it a shot now. I've already picked my shows for next season and as soon as I saw Reincarnated in the title I skipped it, LOL.

Yeeeeeeah! This manga always seemed a perfect fit for anime, but with GL it's such a rarity for anything to get an adaptation.

The first three volumes would make a good self-contained story arc, so hopefully that's how they will structure the first (and no doubt only) cour.

I could have sworn that the US DVD release of Simoun had been out of print for many years, but Amazon UK have it listed at the moment. It's not on Right Stuf or even the Media Blasters store, so I wonder if this is just a handful of copies that they found down the back of the sofa.

Hello yuri fiends. Been ill lately so I have consumed what can only be described as an "inadvisable" amount of yuri manga in the last couple weeks.

Caught up on a lot of ongoing series but at the moment I am making my way through 'Still Sick'. Anyone read it? The interaction between jaded ex-mangaka and overenthusiastic doujinshi writer is absolutely delighting me.

Even when I'm explicitly reading a yuri series and know it's about to go somewhere, I find myself yelling at the page whenever there's a misunderstanding or someone clams up going "No, go get your girl!"

"But we're both girls", yes and it's wonderful!

Yes I totally get you, I felt the same way sometimes watching Kimi ni Todoke and that's a straight romance! But I think it can be more frustrating when there's that thing of "will this even go anywhere bcuz homo/biphobia?" TBH I'm a sentimental lovey dovey sort of person who's easily moved to tears by any display of genuine human warmth/love/friendship/connection etc. and I cry at movie trailers and I'm also bisexual so I get very emotional about a good yuri love story... I just love to love and watch people love each other :) My favourite girl x girl couples are Adachi and Shimamura and Utena and Anthy and I also like some of the princely girl characters like Tsubaki from Kare Kano and Lady Oscar :)

Yes I totally get you, I felt the same way sometimes watching Kimi ni Todoke and that's a straight romance! But I think it can be more frustrating when there's that thing of "will this even go anywhere bcuz homo/biphobia?" TBH I'm a sentimental lovey dovey sort of person who's easily moved to tears by any display of genuine human warmth/love/friendship/connection etc. and I cry at movie trailers and I'm also bisexual so I get very emotional about a good yuri love story... I just love to love and watch people love each other :) My favourite girl x girl couples are Adachi and Shimamura and Utena and Anthy and I also like some of the princely girl characters like Tsubaki from Kare Kano and Lady Oscar :)
Yeah I'm bisexual too, the more recent wave of yuri manga (last ten years or so) have been so refreshing because a lot of them aren't a. entirely subtextual or b. guaranteed to end in tragedy. The genre has massively evolved even in the last 5 years in my opinion.

Yeah I'm bisexual too, the more recent wave of yuri manga (last ten years or so) have been so refreshing because a lot of them aren't a. entirely subtextual or b. guaranteed to end in tragedy. The genre has massively evolved even in the last 5 years in my opinion.

While I have not read masses of recent manga whether yuri or otherwise (busy clearing my physical book backlog of older titles), this is the impression I have gotten and I'm really looking forward to reading some of these recent titles in a year or two when I've read what I already have manga-wise :) I also read boy x boy stuff like Heartstopper and am happy that BL seems to have also evolved to have less non-con scenes and otherwise abusive relationships, though I do love The Heart of Thomas as far as the most classic of classics go :) The most recent yuri things I have watched and read are most of the Bloom Into You anime (I am gonna finish it for sure) and the Adachi and Shimamura anime and Volume 1 of the LNs, I started Volume 2 as well but rn I'm mostly focused on my backlog of manga specifically, however I love browsing in Waterstones and seeing all these rly cute yuri manga titles on the shelves 🥰

The most recent yuri things I have watched and read are most of the Bloom Into You anime (I am gonna finish it for sure)
Oh my god definitely finish it. Just for reference though, the anime very abruptly cuts off in the middle of volume 5 (no anime ending), so if you want the full story (which I highly recommend you do) you should either pick it up from vol 5 once you finish the anime or read the whole manga as well. The anime is an absolutely beautiful adaptation that covers everuthing up to the point it ends, but vol 6-8 is where ALL of the best stuff happens. I honestly think it is a perfect series.

however I love browsing in Waterstones and seeing all these rly cute yuri manga titles on the shelves 🥰
Oh god yeah. When I started this hobby more generally you were lucky to find any manga in a general book store and the ones you did find were always the more popular long running shounen series. The Birmingham Waterstones has a truly collossal manga section now and I love going in there anytime I'm in the city, the variety of stuff on display is really good and stuff like yuri has representation there now.

Hello yuri fiends. Been ill lately so I have consumed what can only be described as an "inadvisable" amount of yuri manga in the last couple weeks.

Caught up on a lot of ongoing series but at the moment I am making my way through 'Still Sick'. Anyone read it? The interaction between jaded ex-mangaka and overenthusiastic doujinshi writer is absolutely delighting me.
I think Still Sick is on my list, but I haven't bought it yet. Any other recommendations from your recent yuri binge?

I think Still Sick is on my list, but I haven't bought it yet. Any other recommendations from your recent yuri binge?
I can't say specifically where to get it on here since it's still unlicensed (just assume I ordered Japanese copies), but 'Onna Tomodachi to Kekkon Shitemita' (Trying Out Marriage With my Female Friend)' is an ongoing manga by Usui Shio (the mangaka of Doughnuts Under a Crescent Moon) and it is absolutely heart melting. A real slow burn affair about companionship and found family that seems to be hinting at more romantic love at the moment. But unlike some series where the beating around the bush can be a bit frustrating, this just comes across as very calming and sweet, and I don't really care how long it takes to take the romantic turn or if it even does.

Been on a quest to finish my physical collection of Bloom Into You. The last three volumes are insanely difficult to find. Managed to get vol 8 off Amazon US but 6 amd 7 are becoming my white whale.

I've put so many stock notification requests in online and just now while I was in town I went to Worlds Apart and made them promise me they'd notify me and put those to the side if they ever got them back. Apparently a lot of Seven Seas stuff is incredibly patchy at the moment even though they're still in print, the reprints of many series are sporadic.

Back