"But we're both girls!" - The Yuri Thread

@setokaiba From the description the first volume of this anthology might be what you're after. I have bought it, but haven't read it yet. The second volume has high school girls on the front and the third volume looks like it goes into the bedroom, so might not be what you're looking for. I know you said you don't do digital, but still useful to have a look at the preview pages:
*Affiliate link

I've only read a couple of yuri manga that focus on adults (though I've got my eye out for more). I Married My Best Friend To Shut My Parents Up is a decent single-volume story, but felt a bit rushed. Whenever Our Eyes Meet was a pretty good anthology that's mostly office romances from what I recall. It's disappointing that nothing in this sub-genre has made the leap to anime yet (as far as I know).
I've been considering picking up I Married My Best Friend To Shut My Parents Up because it's by the same mangaka as My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness... but I must admit the description hasn't completely sold it to me, I'm just trusting the artist really, I'll pick it up if I ever see it though. And I love office stuff I'll definitely take a look into that, thank you!
@setokaiba From the description the first volume of this anthology might be what you're after. I have bought it, but haven't read it yet. The second volume has high school girls on the front and the third volume looks like it goes into the bedroom, so might not be what you're looking for. I know you said you don't do digital, but still useful to have a look at the preview pages:
*Affiliate link
Thank you I'll take a look! Bedroom stuff is fine (afterall that was a big plot point in My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness) but I want it to be as a passing part of the plot rather than erotica.

Should have also possibly mentioned that I'm not super into anthologies/one shots, which unfortunately seems to be the majority of yuri manga... but if it's a really good one I don't mind. I just like to have a cohesive story. I looked into Yuri Life as mentioned in the article in OP because I loved the concept, but when I saw that it was just short 4 panel comics instead of an actual story... I decided to pass on that :(

Last edited:
I've been considering picking up I Married My Best Friend To Shut My Parents Up because it's by the same mangaka as My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness... but I must admit the description hasn't completely sold it to me, I'm just trusting the artist really, I'll pick it up if I ever see it though. And I love office stuff I'll definitely take a look into that, thank you!
Um, I don't think that's right. My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness is by Nagata Kabi and I Married My Best Friend To Shut My Parents Up is by Kodama Naoko, most well known for Netsuzou Trap - Ntr and having their characters mostly end up being horrible/very flawed people. Great art though, she's very talented. Ropes me in every time 😂
I Married My Best Friend To Shut My Parents Up is one of her milder series IIRC.

Like DragoStark pointed out (as I was writing a similar correction lol) they are written by different authors. The confusion might be because the cover art uses a similar colour palette.

I've been considering picking up I Married My Best Friend To Shut My Parents Up because it's by the same mangaka as My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness
It's not by Nagata Kabi; I don't think any of her non-autobiographical manga have been translated. I Married My Best Friend... is by Kodama Naoko, who wrote NTR: Netsuzou Trap, but it's a much lighter story than that one.

EDIT: It's a correction avalanche!

Wow, you guys are right, I feel silly now! Admittedly I never looked into who wrote it, I just assumed from the very similar cover and girls love themes. I've never seen it besides the cover in photos, so that's my bad for just assuming ^^; Thanks for pointing it out though since it does impact my decision haha.

I gave the first volume of Our Teachers are Dating! a go. It does exactly what it says on the tin. I think it's aiming to be an iyashikei yuri; there's an almost complete lack of conflict, and a general feel-good tone throughout. I'm not sure the story knows what to do with all those pages as a result though, and it ends up being about 50% lengthy kissing scenes (and some sex at the end of the volume). It's a pleasant read, but I could see it running out of steam quickly if the following volumes don't shake things up a bit.

Does anyone know if A Tropical Fish Yearns For Snow volume 1 will get reprinted? It will... right? Since the series is still printing new volumes afterall.
I've decided I'll pickup volume 2 and 3 if they're still at a bookstore I occasionally visit, but I can't find volume 1 listed online anywhere in the UK... It's not an old publication or anything so I don't see why it won't get reprinted or even why it's so hard to find to begin with.

Does anyone know if A Tropical Fish Yearns For Snow volume 1 will get reprinted? It will... right? Since the series is still printing new volumes afterall.
I've decided I'll pickup volume 2 and 3 if they're still at a bookstore I occasionally visit, but I can't find volume 1 listed online anywhere in the UK... It's not an old publication or anything so I don't see why it won't get reprinted or even why it's so hard to find to begin with.
Though they do focus more on their Jump titles I recall Viz are pretty good at reprints. Might just be yet another victim of the printing issues plaguing the industry.

As a side note Tropical Fish isn't actually a yuri series. Though it focuses on the relationship of its two female main characters it doesn't go further and is largely wishful thinking from yuri fans. Sometimes gals really are just pals.

That aside it's still a pretty great series.

Though they do focus more on their Jump titles I recall Viz are pretty good at reprints. Might just be yet another victim of the printing issues plaguing the industry.

As a side note Tropical Fish isn't actually a yuri series. Though it focuses on the relationship of its two female main characters it doesn't go further and is largely wishful thinking from yuri fans. Sometimes gals really are just pals.

That aside it's still a pretty great series.
Thanks for the info! I actually really like that sub-genre of girls love (it's still girls love, right? even if it's not a full on relationship? I noticed it is listed as a girls love on MAL at least) where there's just some feels so I'm fine with that ^^ I'll pick up vol 2 and 3 and hope for the best.

Thanks for the info! I actually really like that sub-genre of girls love (it's still girls love, right? even if it's not a full on relationship? I noticed it is listed as a girls love on MAL at least) where there's just some feels so I'm fine with that ^^ I'll pick up vol 2 and 3 and hope for the best.
Yeah I kinda consider stories where there's no romance but still a big focus on female relationships to be yuri adjacent in a way. Sites like MAL or Anime Planet are never simple with their genre definitions anyway so best to take it with a grain of salt or six lol.

Picked up Chasing After Aoi Koshiba vol 1 and 2. I'm thinking October will be a bit of a GL manga month as there's at least 2 other GL titles I'm hoping to pick up this month.

Whisper Me a Love Song
Just finished the first volume. Excellent stuff, I thought near the end of the first chapter,
"wow, they're actually going to be a couple right from the start" which is rare, from what I've seen/read, no matter the make up of the couple, but there was that slight curveball. I mean they're dating by the end of the volume, but still not 'officially' a couple
it's begging for an anime adaptation
Abso-flippin'-lutely!

Chasing After Aoi Koshiba
Got this on my wish list after reading the mangakas stuff in the anthologies.
Our Teachers are Dating!
And this, just because it sounds interesting (and I can get 55% coin back on the first volume!)

Has anyone read I'm In Love With The Villainess (manga version)? I'm considering it but I don't usually pick up isekai so I'd love to hear some thoughts. I really like the Villainess' design aswell as the otome game theme.

Adachi and Shimamura LN 7
This series continues to be an absolute joy. What I especially like is that the primary conflict is still about the different expectations the two girls have about what they want from each other. This allows the story to make progress with their relationship, while maintaining tension about whether it will all work out, and without having to throw in tedious external roadblocks every five minutes. This volume is also peppered with several alternate universe interludes that show how events might have played out if the girls had met under a variety of different circumstances.

I don't read manga but I've watched a fair amount of yuri shows and one of my favorites is Sakameki Koto. It has a lot of serious moments but it has some really funny ones, too. The episode that takes place in the water park is hilarious (hint-tower of doom). Kuma Arashi was pretty good as was Citrus.

Looking at upcoming releases and I saw Monologue Woven for You, the beautiful cover caught my eye. It seems to be a full colour yuri manga and it says volume 1 so I'm hoping it won't just be a short one shot story. Is anyone else going to pick it up? I think I will.

Is anyone else going to pick it up?
The cover does look nice, but looking at the preview the backgrounds in the actual story look very plain:
This is the first thing from the mangaka and the preview is from the first chapter, so things might improve later.

My next pick up will be School Zone Girls after I saw a very passionate YouTube video about it:

The MAL page has Wasteful Days of High School Girls as a recommendation, so if it's as funny as that I'll definitely like it.

Back