The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

MAGES have announced a new visual novel sequel to Steins;Gate in the same vein as Chaos;Child called Steins;[REDACTED]. Originally called Steins;God a few years ago, it focuses on a new cast.

Also revealed is ANONYMOUS;CODE will include a Steins;Gate character, and both the Hollywood adaptation of Steins;Gate and the Steins;Gate Zero ELITE visual novel are still coming.

Hollywood adaptation, because that always goes well

This Hand Shakers 2.0 is so going to be asking for a shitstorm I feel like.
Especially with the old anime already being there and the mood capturing the manga fairly well, at least for what it managed to adapt and after the teases from the coundown, which looked very much Manga TB-styled and then they display this... this... .... T_T
Who thought this was a good idea? Or is this just going to be an ad for some whatever re-edition of the manga?

(If anything, it made me realize, how much more I seem to have liked the manga than I thought I did, I guess...)

This Hand Shakers 2.0 is so going to be asking for a shitstorm I feel like.
Especially with the old anime already being there and the mood capturing the manga fairly well, at least for what it managed to adapt and after the teases from the coundown, which looked very much Manga TB-styled and then they display this... this... .... T_T
Who thought this was a good idea? Or is this just going to be an ad for some whatever re-edition of the manga?

(If anything, it made me realize, how much more I seem to have liked the manga than I thought I did, I guess...)

I've been looking into GoHands as I'm not really familiar with their output.

It sounds like having Tokyo Babylon being adapted by GoHands is a bit like having the works of Shakespeare being adapted by Channel 5.

I'm not familiar with Channel 5, but I'm one of the few crazy folks who watched Hand Shakers (and even sat through it), and this PV definitely looks a helluva lot like Hand Shakers 2.0. In every bad sense that could be.

First thing I actually kinda got into slight hyping more and than something like this drops out of it. T_T

I'm not familiar with GoHands either but after that PV I'll put money down they hand something to do with the K franchise. This quite literally just looks like another K installment.

Except Tokyo Babylon is rather pretty completely remote from K and K still looks worlds better than this Hand Shakers 2.0

(Excuse any saltiness on part, I'm just still in an 😭 mood.)

Except Tokyo Babylon is rather pretty completely remote from K and K still looks worlds better than this Hand Shakers 2.0

(Excuse any saltiness on part, I'm just still in an 😭 mood.)
I checked, GoHands also did K! No idea what else they've done though.

I haven't seen any previous Tokyo Babylon iterations and also haven't seen Hand Shakers (I've heard bad things though) but I've seen some K, which is very much style over substance. Not the sort of studio you'd expect to handle a Clamp property.

I checked, GoHands also did K! No idea what else they've done though.

I haven't seen any previous Tokyo Babylon iterations and also haven't seen Hand Shakers (I've heard bad things though) but I've seen some K, which is very much style over substance. Not the sort of studio you'd expect to handle a Clamp property.
Saw Hand Shakers last year. GoHands is really talented at being bad. Compositing is horrendous, camera movements are dizzying and the colours are messy. My eyes haven't recovered.

If they just calmed down then maybe they'd be a decent studio. Hand Shakers sure was an experience.

I've seen Mardock Scramble, I've seen all of K. I've also seen Coppelion. (Here the unharmfully watchable kinda stops.) And I'm one of those nuts who completed Hand Shakers.
Yes, all of them are style over substance in increasingly manner, until it heavily backfires. But at least with K that was exactly the point. Have a bunch of cool Bishies and some hot girls roam about with something that halfways comes off like a plot, while not looking all that terrible.

It's not to say, that Tokyo Babylon's manga art isn't stylized. It is, but it's not that shiny digital effects thing, but stark pop-art like simplistic contrasts. Which also tranports over to the content, since half of it is leisurely goofy SoL comedy vs. a pretty dark mysterious mood, in which some darker aspects of society are touched upon as well. (Really, some of them are pretty seriously and tactfully dealing with issues.)
It's also about Omyouji and exorcisms and that traditional stuff in the traditional sense, so that digital stuffv with the CG looks even worse on it.

Aside that it's having one of the most goofily awkward, while complicated and super twisted, but at the same time somehow deep and profoundly pure romance out there that's wholly about the contrasts, emotional paradoxes and subleties through framing moods and small gestures. Starting amongst other things with Seichiros goofy glasses. Which have become... something of a edgy bishie assesoire now?

I'm not even a fan of those super wide shoulders of the 90s style, and Clamp's art has changed a deal, too by now and I do prefer some of their more modern styles. But... This is somehow just something completely else with absolutely no connection to what made TB so impressive. (To me at least.)

TL;DR
Imma still just 😭

The only GoHands series that looks appealing to me is Seitokai Yakuindomo.

The PV for the latest movie (Also scheduled for 2021) looks a lot more traditional than all their other works in recent years.

While I missed that GoHands is attached to the project, something that hampers my excitement quite a bit, I'm still hopeful they won't make a mess of this. If only someone could tell them that while a touch of digital effects might be nice, a bathtub or two of it is just painful to look at.

Back