The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Oldmario

Adventurer
part of me would be happy to see stuff like aho-girl and gabriel dropout finally get released on blu-ray but part of me doesn't want funimation to have nearly everything considering their blu-rays get annoying with explosions cutting out the audio

NormanicGrav

(゜ロ゜)
AUKN Staff
what is your take on this @NormanicGrav?

Just say it did happen, would both services remain as they are?
And since they both won't be in "compteition" with each other in terms of liceasing, do you think we would see more shows on both services?
I think it's a big issue in terms of balance. Sony having Aniplex, Crunchyroll and Funimation altogether would provide zero competition and a massive monopoly, plus the home video side would be a mess.

The UK already saw the outcome of this via the Crunchyroll x Funimation deal and it's going to happen again unless Sony explicitly keeps Crunchyroll licenses separate from Funimation like how Aniplex of America is separate from Funimation (to provide better context, its a different Sony (Sony Music I think, someone else can clarify on that) that has Aniplex than the one who has Funimation). Sure we got Demon Slayer for Funimation in the US home video scene but it was never stated that more titles would be involved and other territories would join in the mix.

KingJimmeh

Hunter
I imagine we'd go back to a situation like the fantastic couple of years where Funi and CR worked together to license shows with CR focusing on simulcasting and subbing, while Funi focused on dubbing.

I think since they broke up, despite paying for both services now, I watch less anime because I can't be bothered switching sites and apps.

thedoctor2016

Harem King
I don’t think they were fantastic not home video wise Maid dragon’s choices, YOI’s choices because funimations dubs and the UK being screwed how has it took 3 years since airing for us to get maid dragon.
The only benefit is I didn’t have to use FUNimation terrible website but AoA are making me use this as they license crap or what I watch is still included in the deal (Fruits Basket for example)

KingJimmeh

Hunter
As much as I love having blu-rays (and I just received the Dragon Maid BR today), my personal priority is for streaming anime.

I've rewatched Dragon Maid a few times on CR in the past few years, so not having the blu ray has not been a huge loss.

For me, and how I watch the majority of my anime, the Funi x CR deal was fantastic.

thedoctor2016

Harem King
Because of Japanese TV rules as soon as a blu Ray is out I refuse to watch the stream unless they update it like HIDIVE and FUNi.
It was good and bad especially here the UK got the worst deal I wouldn’t say it’s better now considering to get releases we have to had a company get bought by a MNC.
The bigger issue I think is the shows Discotek are releasing that are CR but weren’t big enough for FUNi stuff like Cagulia and Symphogear.
Streaming it probably is better they are together everything else better separate.

Last edited:
kissanime's trending on Twitter...

Seems it's been taken down, and just the first of many takedowns to come.
I'd link to the thread, but the weebs are already linking to alternate sites...

EDIT: I didn't know that it's a swearword on this site. Let's call it osculatinganime then. Now that it's extinct, maybe it can be taken off the swearlist...

NormanicGrav

(゜ロ゜)
AUKN Staff
*********'s trending on Twitter...

Seems it's been taken down, and just the first of many takedowns to come.
I'd link to the thread, but the weebs are already linking to alternate sites...

EDIT: I didn't know that it's a swearword on this site. Let's call it osculatinganime then. Now that it's extinct, maybe it can be taken off the swearlist...
It's still alive under a different URL domain I believe.

Teapot

Warrior of Light
Administrator
I’ve removed Kissanime from the swear filter while it’s a relevant discussion. It was only supposed to blacklist links to their domains, but hey, removing the name entirely from our forums is no bad thing...

crashb648

Dandy Guy, in Space
That’s a shame, great site but...

I’m not going to say I don’t dodgy download anime, I only have to restort to That when I can’t either legally buy or stream a show.

with the way things have been going, I’m using these types of sites less and less, since streaming has filled in a lot of gaps in my anime watch list over the last few years.

NormanicGrav

(゜ロ゜)
AUKN Staff
That’s a shame, great site but...

I’m not going to say I don’t dodgy download anime, I only have to restort to That when I can’t either legally buy or stream a show.

with the way things have been going, I’m using these types of sites less and less, since streaming has filled in a lot of gaps in my anime watch list over the last few years.
It was fine about seven years ago but again I wouldn't even go into that direction. Ironically my entry level into anime was piracy but more so the T route. Eventually I had a stable internet connection to actually stream anime through Crunchyroll (and later down the line Funimation).

Since 2013 there was no need for me to use illegal streaming sites as I much prefer the Blu-ray discs approach or simulcasting on Crunchyroll and if something wasn't available I was patient enough to wait for the home video which is what I did with Devil is a Part-Timer. Also as the years go buy I found that I was consuming so much anime through simulcasts on Crunchyroll, Funimation and Netflix that I didn't have the time to even consider titles that aren't streaming or have uncensored versions elsewhere with the exception of Interspecies Reviewers due to Funimation removing the simulcast from its service (they still have the rights btw).