The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

I was just going to chime in on this. Funimation seems to getting better (?) in the last two years since I've become an Anime fan.

If it did go ahead, would they merge the services together or keep them separate? And would be better in a way since acquiring the licenses will be lower (?) since the two companies aren't competing anymore.

I was just going to chime in on this. Funimation seems to getting better (?) in the last two years since I've become an Anime fan.

If it did go ahead, would they merge the services together or keep them separate? And would be better in a way since acquiring the licenses will be lower (?) since the two companies aren't competing anymore.
The licenses being lower won't necessarily be a good thing since international licensing is a major source of money for the industry.

Not sure I would agree that they've gotten better. They've released Tsugumomo twice, the last time as an essentials line in 2020, and both releases claimed it to be uncut and both versions contained censored content from the broadcast version of the anime.

The very first line at the top of the back of the blu-ray case reads 'Watch the whole series, completely uncut!'.

I thought they stopped making PS3 games?
I think that's being generous. It reminds me of nothing so much as TANK S.W.A.T 01, which was released a whole six months before the PS3. Those empty, lifeless low poly repeating environments. Terrible lighting that makes no sense and has the characters about ten times brighter than the environments they're in. Those sodding explosion "effects" that look like they're from a YouTube poop (also from around 2006). Even if this had been made 15 years ago, it still would have looked disappointing.

I don't like to be too harsh on fellow 3D creatives' work especially if they were low on budget and time, and I don't know the full details in this instance, but frankly whoever the art director is for this series (if indeed it had one) has done a terrible job. One of the first things that should be done on any 3D project is the development of a unified art style to make sure all the artists are on the same page. Characters should look like they belong in the environments - They don't. Lighting should be uniform - It isn't. Look at any of the Star Wars 3D animated shows to see this done well, even though Rebels and Resistance obviously had progressively lower budgets than The Clone Wars (which for me remains a high water mark for 3D TV shows) the art styles were consistent and as such, they still looked good despite being more cheaply made. This looks like the character team and environment team were working towards two completely different styles, with harshly lit cel-shaded characters in dim, softly lit semi-realistic environments. It's quite a feat to make entirely 3D animation look like it was filmed in front of a greenscreen, but somehow they've managed it.

I don't like to be too harsh on fellow 3D creatives' work especially if they were low on budget and time, and I don't know the full details in this instance, but frankly whoever the art director is for this series (if indeed it had one) has done a terrible job. One of the first things that should be done on any 3D project is the development of a unified art style to make sure all the artists are on the same page. Characters should look like they belong in the environments - They don't. Lighting should be uniform - It isn't. Look at any of the Star Wars 3D animated shows to see this done well, even though Rebels and Resistance obviously had progressively lower budgets than The Clone Wars (which for me remains a high water mark for 3D TV shows) the art styles were consistent and as such, they still looked good despite being more cheaply made. This looks like the character team and environment team were working towards two completely different styles, with harshly lit cel-shaded characters in dim, softly lit semi-realistic environments. It's quite a feat to make entirely 3D animation look like it was filmed in front of a greenscreen, but somehow they've managed it.
Thing is I really don't think this is an issue of budget at all (just like every other anime these days). This project was dead on arrival as soon as they hired a team with no experience making anime. It's incredibly bizarre and I can only imagine how confusing this must be for the marketing team lol

Back