[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

I love Emma, it's a big favorite of mine, so I backed the $95 chipboard box right off the bat - at least for now. I haven't had a chance to read up on the rest of the higher tiers, as I had to pledge from my phone while sitting in the dentist office waiting room while my daughter was getting her teeth drilled out (Internet on a phone is an utterly distasteful thing for me, I try avoid it if at all possible). I do already own the two DVD LE box sets for Emma, but I'm up for a nice BD Box as well.

I assume it going to be another case of Americans trying to sound English, where everybody speaks either posh or mockney!

I could care less about any English dub, I won't be listening to it - it will be horrid-sounding as dubs always are anyway.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of some of Kaoru Mori's other work (A Bride's Story is fantastic), and I've heard the Emma anime is a pretty faithful adaptation, so I'm all for this. Backed for the chipboard box.

The reason I say horrid sounding actually has nothing to do with whether the dub is good or bad, or what kind of English is used - it's simply the fact that it is NOT in the original Japanese language. I have no desire to watch an anime if it's not in Japanese language, because then it is not an anime to me anymore, but just some westernized cartoon. I can force myself to watch English dubbed anime when I am showing it to friends, but I'll pretty much be uncomfortable listening to it the entire time. I never ever watch anime in English when on my own. I have nothing against other people watching dubs, though - just as long as I'm not in the same room, lol. ;)

Last edited:
The reason I say horrid sounding actually has nothing to do with whether the dub is good or bad, or what kind of English is used - it's simply the fact that it is NOT in Japanese language.
The words spoken in said language aren't always by Japanese characters. I can go either way with the sub or dub and respect people's choice on the matter, but if the characters are Japanese then I prefer the sub because it retains a sense of authenticity. Sometimes things are lost in the writing in the first place and the dub fixes that these days - Banana Fish would probably work better dubbed I think.
My favourite example of this is Black Lagoon though. Only one of the main characters is Japanese and he speaks English to the others, except when speaking to Japanese people as a translator for the Russians.

Back