What Games Are You Playing?

Just realised I missed Captaaainuniverse's post about Heavenly Sword:
How far did you get before? When you get back to what's shown at the start it does change the game a little bit, it's the worst for having to counter all the time. And a good copy still at your local? Anyone who still has a ps3 should have had it! Though I'd say it's not quite as good as GoW3

Worth bringing up again, as I managed to leave the house long enough for a trip to CEX. It was a 'doing stuff for videos' day today, which included spending a bit of cash on new games.

And I bought a new (well, new used) copy of Heavenly Sword!

I actually can't remember exactly where I got to last time, but I stuck it on today for another look. Really gonna have to punt this one up my review schedule, because I'd forgotten how interesting some aspects of it are. Like firing cannonballs with the motion controls in the PS3 controller.

The focus has been more on looking at simple games on older systems lately, so that I can knock out some reviews without getting bogged down in explanation or criticism of intricate control schemes. So I've actually been looking at some old Atari console games. My Atari 7800 died a couple of days ago, so I can't really do anything with that for a while. But I've been taking a look at some older games for the Atari 2600. (I've got one on loan, which has seen better days. It has the fabled paddle controllers, too, but none of the five cartridges I have here actually work with them!)

This is quite a shock to the system. The games are so simple, and some of them properly stink. But there are a few that are unexpectedly brilliant. I've been playing Beamrider in fits and starts over the weekend. I gather this was originally released on the much fancier Intellivision console and the 2600 version is missing a few features. But dear god, I don't think I've played anything this addictive in years!

You basically control a little spaceship at the bottom of the screen, which can only move to the left and right. You shoot enemies that appear in several 'lanes' on the screen, and once you clear a determined number, a mothership appears, which you have to take down with a torpedo. This cycle repeats, but subsequent waves introduce new objects and enemies to deal with. What keeps it interesting is how these behave, and how they force you to adapt your playing style. It's very cool. And it gets quite frantic.

For the benefit of anyone who's interested, the other cartridges are Space Invaders, Atlantis, Alien and Galaxian.

Maybe I'm showing my age, but these are all pretty fun to fiddle with now that I've finished God of War.

IQs6CXqm.jpg

Completed Game #17:
Far Cry 3
[PlayStation 3]
Back when I bought the console I had PlayStation Plus included and from that I downloaded a couple games to try out, one of them was Far Cry 3. Fast-forward five years later I now finally play the game properly. Due to PS+ I had to start from scratch but I only lost like an hour's worth of progress so it wasn't much.

Far Cry 3 was much better than I was expecting and the gameplay is pretty fun, going hunting for items to craft while also going around the island taking down enemies to secure the map's territories. The story was also great though the game's main feature villain wasn't in as much as I had hoped.

Throughout the 15 hours I've played I managed to finish the story and acquire 80% of the trophies including the amount of collectables needed to get the trophy. There are no missable trophies thanks to the patch released after the game was released that allows players to reset the outposts.

Overall Far Cry 3 is a great game though it does borrow from Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed style approach of 'use the tower to get more of the map!' trope. I would say pick this one even if its very cheap/on sale and heck it's even available on current gen consoles in remastered form thanks to Far Cry 5. Now saying that I don't think I'll go out of my way to get Far Cry 4 & 5 since they're basically the same concept. Blood Dragon I might consider though.

My backlog so far:
Nintendo 3DS:
Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson
Tales of the Abyss

PlayStation 3:
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Catherine
Dragon's Crown
Drakengard 3
Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2
El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
Folklore
Mafia II
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes
Soul Calibur V
Tales of Xillia 2

PlayStation 4:
Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed
Chaos;Child
Dead or Alive 5 Last Round
Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR-
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven
Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash!
Star Ocean V: Integrity and Faithlessness
Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami
Ys Origin

PlayStation Vita:
Demon Gaze
Freedom Wars
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1
Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni

Steam:
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky First Chapter
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter

Completed Games Collection of 2018:
  • #01 | Yakuza: Dead Souls (PS3)
  • #02 | Saints Row 2 (PS3)
  • #03 | Sengoku Basara HD (PS3)
  • #04 | Sengoku Basara 2 HD (PS3)
  • #05 | Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PS4)
  • #06 | Corpse Party: BloodCovered Repeated Fear (Vita)
  • #07 | Corpse Party: Book of Shadows (Vita)
  • #08 | Corpse Party: Blood Drive (Vita)
  • #09 | Soul Sacrifice (Vita)
  • #10 | Persona 5 (PS4)
  • #11 | Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX (3DS)
  • #12 | Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Arcade Future Tone (English Version) (PS4)
  • #13 | Mobile Suit Gundam Side Stories (PS3)
  • #14 | Strider Hiryu (PS3)
  • #15 | God of War Ascension (PS3)
  • #16 | Heavenly Sword (PS3)
  • #17 | Far Cry 3 (PS3)

Black - PlayStation 3 / Blue - PlayStation 4 / Red - PlayStation Vita / Purple - Nintendo 3DS

Platinum Trophy Collection:
#01 | 2014 | PS3 - Saints Row: The Third (+ All DLC)
#02 | 2015 | PS3 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle
#03 | 2015 | PS3 - Hyperdimension Neptunia
#04 | 2015 | Vita - Dekamori Senran Kagura
#05 | 2015 | PS3 - Steins;Gate
#06 | 2015 | PS3 - NieR
#07 | 2015 | PS3 - No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise
#08 | 2015 | PS3 - Asura's Wrath (DLC Trophies not acquired)
#09 | 2015 | PS3 - Saints Row IV (DLC Trophies not acquired)
#10 | 2015 | PS3 - The Darkness II
#11 | 2016 | PS3 - Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2
#12 | 2016 | PS3 - Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater HD
#13 | 2016 | Vita - Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus
#14 | 2016 | Vita - Gravity Rush (DLC Trophies not acquired)
#15 | 2016 | PS3 - Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
#16 | 2016 | PS4 - Resogun
#17 | 2016 | Vita - Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls
#18 | 2016 | PS4 - Game of Thrones: A Telltale Game
#19 | 2017 | Vita - Miracle Girls Festival
#20 | 2017 | PS4 - Senran Kagura Estival Versus
#21 | 2017 | PS4 - The Wolf Among Us
#22 | 2017 | PS4 - Final Fantasy XV (DLC Trophies not acquired)
#23 | 2017 | PS4 - Amplitude
#24 | 2017 | PS4 - Root Letter
#25 | 2017 | Vita - IA/VT -Colorful-
#26 | 2017 | Vita - Persona 4: Dancing All Night
#27 | 2017 | PS4 - Gravity Rush Remastered
#28 | 2017 | PS4 - NieR: Automata
#29 | 2017 | PS4 - The Silver Case HD
#30 | 2017 | PS4 - Steins;Gate 0
#31 | 2017 | PS3 - Under Defeat HD
#32 | 2017 | PS4 - Tales from the Borderlands
#33 | 2017 | PS3 - Dragon Ball Z Budokai HD Collection
#34 | 2017 | PS4 - Life is Strange
#35 | 2017 | PS4 - Sword Art Online: Lost Song
#36 | 2017 | PS4 - Crash Bandicoot HD
#37 | 2017 | PS4 - Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back HD
#38 | 2017 | PS4 - Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped HD
#39 | 2017 | PS4 - Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
#40 | 2018 | Vita - Corpse Party: Blood Drive
#41 | 2018 | PS4 - Persona 5

Been playing Dark Souls Remastered and I still love this game so much (ask me again once I reach the tedious later parts though :p ). Just rang the 2nd bell and venturing into Sen's Fortress, running a dex/pyromancy build as always. It's kinda nuts how quickly I feel I'm getting through the game but I guess that's down to knowing where I'm going and what I'm doing there, miss being utterly lost in a Souls game tbh.

Still playing Overwatch too, not entirely sure why as I don't actually enjoy it all that much now, it's just the game me and my friends play together while we talk crap I suppose.

Just completed Persona 4 Golden. (Playtime: Around 120 hours- 106 according to the save file and at least 14 for all my screw ups and reloading etc. Started 30th April-13th May, continued and finished 17th-29th May.)

It's a great game with tons of content, but you need to be good at scheduling (or just use a guide) to really utilise your days and not have any S links left unfulfilled. I ended up getting the true ending, maxing out all the S Links and getting a fair chunk of the trophies, but haven't bothered tackling the secret boss-maybe on NG+

My irks were how finicky the S links could be at times, forcing you to choose the exact dialogue lines in order to get the highest points, especially if you don't romance everyone (which tbf is for the best considering how brutal the outcome is.) On normal, the game was fairly easy, so for anyone looking to play this and wanting a challenge, I'd go hard and beyond.
Now to wait for Yakuza 6 to arrive.

Last edited:
l2pb6RVm.jpg

Completed Game #18:
Mafia II
[PlayStation 3]
Alongside Far Cry 3, Mafia II was among one of the games that I tried out as part of PlayStation Plus and admittedly I barely touched it until I picked it up alongside Far Cry 3 last year. I of course started from scratch since it was no big deal.

Mafia II is a very interesting game to describe. It has open-world gameplay similar to GTA but is more linear with a pretty strong story to go along with it. The combat has two parts; the shooting aspects which is like any other open-world game and the beat em up segments which can be rather satisfying in parts. The campaign is fairly short with at least 11.5 hours worth of gameplay spread across 15 chapters but its pretty investing to watch. I went through the game on Hard Mode simply for trophy reasons and it was a solid challenge with some pretty tough challenges however your AI teammates work pretty well so they help keep the pace going.

The only negatives that I have with the game is the driving segments. It's quite fun at first however you soon realise that you basically have to keep doing it in every chapter and it's essentially padding. Made worse by the game's police system where if you drive over the speed limit, run someone over, have guns out etc. you basically have the cops going after you and it's very tedious to get out of. What's weird is that if you drive through a red light they don't care which is rather random.

Overall Mafia II is a great experience and worth checking out. The trophy list is also fairly easy but due to time constraints I won't be bothering with a Platinum at this current timeframe.

My backlog so far:
Nintendo 3DS:
Tales of the Abyss

PlayStation 3:
Catherine
Dragon's Crown
Drakengard 3
Folklore
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Soul Calibur V
Tales of Xillia 2

PlayStation 4:
Chaos;Child
Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami
Ys Origin

PlayStation Vita:
Demon Gaze
Freedom Wars
Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni

Steam:

• #10 | Persona 5 (PS4)
  • #17 | Far Cry 3 (PS3)
  • #18 | Mafia II (PS3)

Black - PlayStation 3 / Blue - PlayStation 4 / Red - PlayStation Vita / Purple - Nintendo 3DS

#06 | 2015 | PS3 - NieR

I haven't played any games in I don't know how long... I actually just uninstalled an ancient copy of Call of Duty I: United Offensive from my PC moments ago, that I didn't even know was still on it, lol...

Dug my Xbox 360 out (I forgot how loud it is) and I’m playing Tales of Vesperia...it’s the only reason I’ve kept the 360 and I’m determined I’ll finally get to finish it.

Started Yakuza 6 and within less than an hours worth of gameplay I'm roped into a live chat simulator...

well since the warmind expansion came out I've figured out that a few of my raid mates in destiny 2 picked it up again, my brother as well, but they've already done most of it, ah destiny, the series with an embarrassing amount of player fatigue.

*looks around* oh the bloody roar/killing bites haberdashery? I was meant to... ah I'll give it a go this afternoon, I'll have to do some lite research on BR's dev. funnily it makes me want to play bloody roar again.... If only I didn't sell 4 years ago... in fact wheres that gamecube with primal fury?

Completed Yakuza 6. (Playtime: Around 50 hours- 42:37:03 based on the results screen and around 5-7 hours of reloading and retries. Started 31st May and finished 8th June.)

This was a fitting end for Kiryu Kazuma's time in the franchise spotlight. Tightening the story focus on just him really helped the game to feel less flabby and fillerish. Though he only has one fighting style, Kiryu still packs a punch and the upgrade system encourages more encounters and also trying various foods from different restaurants.

The lack of load times when entering buildings etc helped to make Yakuza 6 more immersive, and likely shaved around 2 hours of game time. The side quests were an improvement over 4 and 5, with more wackiness and even bigger stakes like managing a baseball team and the clan simulator (which I cheesed by looking up codes for the strongest fighters.)

The only real frustration I had was with a post game boss that was beyond cheap, and a cat locating sidequest that took a lot of time due to low spawn rates. Overall this was one of the stronger entries, and despite what some have said was a good way to conclude Kiryu's storyline, who knows he may appear in 7 alongside the new main character-but that's up to Sega. 4/5

Now I'm moving onto Persona 5.

Finished the A-route through Nier Automata. The actual ending felt a little anticlimactic, but I enjoyed the journey and I completely understand the story still has more to give in the subsequent playthroughs. Think I might let it rest a little while before continuing though.

The story was also great though the game's main feature villain wasn't in as much as I had hoped.

I had a lot of fun with Far Cry 3 (the 'CIA Agent' was hilarious), but this really bothered me. After Vaas died I just lost interest in the game altogether.

Finished the A-route through Nier Automata. The actual ending felt a little anticlimactic, but I enjoyed the journey and I completely understand the story still has more to give in the subsequent playthroughs. Think I might let it rest a little while before continuing though.
Not spoiling it for you, but it's the subsequent playthroughs that actually complete the story. Go ahead, if you want a philosophy that makes you feel awful and some existential dread

Just got the Platinum on Final Fantasy 9 and whoever thought up the trophy list is a total @£#! I mean 10000 kills... playing through the game in full and getting all to 99 with maxed skills takes barely 2000....

Not fun, let me tell you...

Then there was the skipping.... oh God the skipping...

urgh... managed to get back in touch with the discord group for Destiny 2, on that way too many hours of the day, just wait for it, next week I won't have the rarer weapons, I'll be on shift and they'll stop playing. ah well, just got the midweek steam sale for tales of berseria so I'll have that in that case

In anticipation of the third game, I'm trying to play through the Kingdom Hearts series in time to get caught up with the series, and I'm currently playing through the third game. 27 hours in, and I'm right at the final boss, but man, I am struggling. Getting to this boss was really tough but the boss itself is trouncing me, and it's kind of cheap. There is a move the boss can do that does constant damage to do almost for about a minute straight. It's just aggravating, and I'll admit, I rage quit. I shall try again tomorrow, hopefully I can beat the game! Either that, or the PS4 is going out the window.

Last edited:
Df1OhAXX4AE8MVs.jpg

Completed Game #19:
Kingdom Hearts Final Mix
[PlayStation 4]
Back to games once again, thanks to the hype of Kingdom Hearts III coming this January getting me back into the franchise once again. The plan was to go through all of the titles regardless but I decided now was a good time to do so. While I have completed the PlayStation 3 version, I decided to go through the PlayStation 4 version also due to the 60fps addition which makes a big difference in both progress and enjoyment.

Thanks to the 60fps (or uncapped framerate as some call it), the game is actually faster than the previous instalments so the combat feels much smoother than before. In addition I managed to breeze through the story in about 15-16 hours, but I decided to go the extra mile once again by spending an additional 30 hours going through a majority of the trophies; level 100, completing Jiminy's Journal, defeating the secret bosses, acquiring all weapons for each character, the gummi ship trophies, the time trial trophies, and also beating the game without using a continue. The PlayStation 4 version's trophy list is also modified so that the difficulty trophies are now stacked and the gummi ship blueprint only requires at least 30 instead of all of them.

Overall Kingdom Hearts Final Mix is great fun, though the game is pretty dated compared to the later instalments. As Lemon has stated on Discord, you can easily lose track on where to go unless you literally check everything including character interactions or puzzles lying around. I'm also not a big fan of the UI for the Scan, which thankfully got improved in the later instalments. The special heartless are also tedious especially the Sniper Wilds in Traverse Town which require stealth. Luck is also a factor for the Synthesis item hunting since they don't always appear.

I've started Re:Chain of Memories, however I'll only be focusing on the main story in both Sora & Riku's campaign modes.

My backlog so far:
Nintendo 3DS:
Tales of the Abyss

PlayStation 3:
Catherine
Dragon's Crown
Drakengard 3
Folklore
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Soul Calibur V
Tales of Xillia 2
White Knight Chronicles
White Knight Chronicles II

PlayStation 4:
Chaos;Child
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix
Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix
Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception
Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami
Ys Origin

PlayStation Vita:
Demon Gaze
Freedom Wars
Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni

Steam:

• #10 | Persona 5 (PS4)
  • #17 | Far Cry 3 (PS3)
  • #18 | Mafia II (PS3)
  • #19 | Kingdom Hearts Final Mix (PS4)

#06 | 2015 | PS3 - NieR

I recall my rage at KH I trying to beat the secret boss Kurt Zisa which to this date I still haven't succeeded in defeating.

I recall my rage at KH I trying to beat the secret boss Kurt Zisa which to this date I still haven't succeeded in defeating.
I would argue it's not as bad as not being able to defeat Chernabog for almost a decade. Yep that Fantasia boss is why I never managed to finish the PS2 version, no idea why.

I would argue it's not as bad as not being able to defeat Chernabog for almost a decade. Yep that Fantasia boss is why I never managed to finish the PS2 version, no idea why.
I can't recall if he was difficult or not, but that does sound frustrating.

Back