The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

I'm having trouble keeping up with the forum this week - really, really busy - so forgive me for dredging up a post, but I've got to comment on this:

I think there's a store called Otaku.co.uk, who occasionally post here, but I couldn't comment on their legitimacy.

They're great. And totally legit.

I had a bit of a flase start concerning my first order with them, which took much longer than expected to arrive. Turned out this was due to circumstances beyond their control, and they jumped on the issue as soon as I raised it with them - also overlooking some incredibly knobbish behaviour on my part at the time. [DISCLAIMER: I had not had my morning coffee.]

Since then, I've ordered a few region 1 items from them, and they've all turned up in good time, all 100% official releases, and Jonathan Weeks even bent over backwards to get a full set of Revolutionary Girl Utena DVDs to me literally the day before packing his bags to go and sell stuff at a major convention. So Otaku.co.uk is one of my preferred outlets now. I won't claim that I spend a lot of cash on their site, but they're definitely one of my go-to options now for pricier R1 releases if I know they're never coming to the UK.

Thank god that Lion's sales don't matter too much cause those sales hurt.

I'm partially triggered by Izetta Vol 2 selling more than Lion Vol 1 tho :|

tumblr_ofgthcEDHc1rd6sdio1_540.gif

I must admit, I thought March would have sold better than it has. It's a very Japanese series (I am very curious how many people in the west are watching it and actually understand shogi, as I know I don't ^^; )but I guess as anime goes it's a very different series to the norm. I hope the sales pick up for it later, but that seems unlikely.

I'm not sure who would buy March Comes In Like A Lion though. At Japanese prices, I mean; pretty sure quite a few of us have plans to buy a local release at some point since it's smashing.

It's a very popular manga, but as with many more 'serious' shows (and almost every shoujo series ever) it's not exactly brimming with must-own commercial incentives pitched at the cash-rich otaku demographic. I'd like to think it will sell slowly but surely and help broaden the audience for the manga and live action films, unlike must-have otaku shows which peak early.

I'd say that the overseas sales might help more than usual except that I think the shogi theme is a high hurdle for a lot of western buyers to overcome. That and the fact that it takes a while to build up to the emotional payoff in later episodes.

R

What, Attack of Titan is considered bad?? I thought it was considered an anime darling, I had westerners and Japanese alike recommending that show first to me when I'd ask for recommendations for about two straight years. I watched half of it and thought it was excellent but CR took the second half off the site for some reason before I could finish. I'll think I'll just move on to Yui now though, because I'm loving the sound of it, and take that conservative pricks, gender free/non-traditional orientations aren't what the government really want to see blowing up, but what can they do now this is the coolest thing in cool Japan? Let's try and see them ban this beauty from public libraries. Rotten girls and boys taking over. Hope it keeps smashing sales records, I haven't seen it yet but am considering buying just to be part of this movement.

Honestly, who gives a **** whether something is 'considered' good or bad?

Never forget, folks - this fandom is as all over the place with its ideas about what constitutes quality as any other. And the internet is full of obnoxious twats who want to state their opinion as fact.

Watch what you want, check out what you feel is interesting to you personally, and don't be scared to form your own opinions. Because that's what keeps it interesting, baby.

Oh my god. 'Baby' has started entering into my non Space Dandy posts! What can this mean?!

I dropped March Comes In Like A Lion fairly early on because frankly, I found it boring and due to not understanding Shogi, hard to follow. At the time, we had plenty of debates on the Discord about the series' relationship with shogi. Well...

So i see To Love Ru Darkness is ending.

If it finishes as its going with a Haruna ending i'll lose all faith in harem manga from now on
Oh snap, I'd better catch up (I must have fallen behind circa August 2015?)

Otaku were always very much legitimate back when I used them and Alex was the boss. I haven't really heard anything from them in ages though, and I believe they switched owners at least once.
The only time I've used then in years was for Dennou Coil (indeed my first import in years other than the Monogatari and SAO CDs from TRSI). Wasn't even aware that Alex McLaren had left the Japan office, but Jonathan Weeks is still there in the UK and has been for a long time now (I was offered what was probably the same position he got at the time)

I dropped March Comes In Like A Lion fairly early on because frankly, I found it boring and due to not understanding Shogi, hard to follow. At the time, we had plenty of debates on the Discord about the series' relationship with shogi. Well...
I had a pretty bad spell of depression over last year and I wouldn't feel too uncomfortable to call that series "Clinical Depression: the animated series." so I have a bad relationship with it.

It's beautiful, no doubt but after a point you wonder if Japan outlawed therapists just for the fun of it.

Also, we had a discord server?

Last edited:
I had a pretty bad spell of depression over last year and I wouldn't feel too uncomfortable to call that series "Clinical Depression: the animated series." so I have a bad relationship with it.

It's beautiful, no doubt but after a point you wonder if Japan outlawed therapists just for the fun of it.

Also, we had a discord server?
Yeah it's pretty great. I don't really use the forum anymore because of it at least. Also yeah the ones instigating the shogi arguments were me as I really love the show.

With Rei's mental state in 'Lion we are slowly seeing progress there, especially in the latest episodes. Tis nice to watch but I can understand that aspect putting people off, as well as the Shogi aspect. I don't really understand it myself :p

Not exactly anime related or manga related, but Manga Entertainment related. Manga Entertainment will release the X Japan documentary "We Are X" on DVD and Blu-Ray on 1st May.

Not exactly anime related or manga related, but Manga Entertainment related. Manga Entertainment will release the X Japan documentary "We Are X" on DVD and Blu-Ray on 1st May.

Never heard of the band, but the plot synopsis is quite something...

However, I shan't be paying the £30 Amazon are asking for. I shall wait for something more reasonable.

Cineworld aren't listing We Are X at all, and I can't afford to travel. Especially for a music doc about a band I know nothing of.
I think it's just a case of Picturehouse and Showcase listing things early this time. Do Cineworld, Vue or Odeon even have A Silent Voice up yet?

Back