The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

He wasn't posting the sales figures for all anime though, he was posting it for YOI. Most people can gather that if it sold well at the start, it will continuing selling well though to the end, with slight drops offs each volume. That's not really news worthy. At least post the whole list, not just one show everyone knows is selling well anyway.

He's not an official news poster though so he can do what he likes, even though I agree that a full list would be much nicer. If (to pick a silly example) the sales figures showed a week where a niche title like Keijo sold half a million copies, I would probably be so flabbergasted I might quickly post that fact at the expense of everything else myself ^^;

With YOI there has been a group of people saying the first volume sales figures were a fluke or artificially inflated by the inclusion of a lottery code in the pack which prompts people to buy multiple copies (a common sales tactic which does tend to have an effect), so in that respect them holding pretty steady between volumes is newsworthy to those following the series and praying for its success.

A sports series selling tens of thousands of copies on release is rather unusual in the anime world in general, as is a series with a homosexual couple (strangely enough, given the buying power of fujoshi and the success of the BL genre overall). It's also topical given the fan rage over how YOI could only possibly have won Crunchyroll's popularity contest by artificially inflating its numbers, which is why I slung Buzz's on-point commentary a Like ;p

Feel free to highlight other noteworthy observations from the sales figures too!

R

Its a free thread you can post the full list if you like.

Sure, but it would've made more sense for you to post them all whilst you had the information in front of you rather than making someone else do it.

He's not an official news poster though so he can do what he likes, even though I agree that a full list would be much nicer. If (to pick a silly example) the sales figures showed a week where a niche title like Keijo sold half a million copies, I would probably be so flabbergasted I might quickly post that fact at the expense of everything else myself ^^;

With YOI there has been a group of people saying the first volume sales figures were a fluke or artificially inflated by the inclusion of a lottery code in the pack which prompts people to buy multiple copies (a common sales tactic which does tend to have an effect), so in that respect them holding pretty steady between volumes is newsworthy to those following the series and praying for its success.

A sports series selling tens of thousands of copies on release is rather unusual in the anime world in general, as is a series with a homosexual couple (strangely enough, given the buying power of fujoshi and the success of the BL genre overall). It's also topical given the fan rage over how YOI could only possibly have won Crunchyroll's popularity contest by artificially inflating its numbers, which is why I slung Buzz's on-point commentary a Like ;p

Feel free to highlight other noteworthy observations from the sales figures too!

R

If YOI was worthy of being flabbergasted fine, but after we already knew sales were strong, it's not really shocking enough to where you have to jump on and only post that. I also think Japanese sales and the whole CR Awards debacle are pretty far removed from each other given the CR Awards weren't aimed at, nor voted on by, the Japanese. There are tons of shows that aren't popular in Japan but are in the West or vice versa, so it's kind of irrelevant.

If YOI was worthy of being flabbergasted fine, but after we already knew sales were strong, it's not really shocking enough to where you have to jump on and only post that. I also think Japanese sales and the whole CR Awards debacle are pretty far removed from each other given the CR Awards weren't aimed at, nor voted on by, the Japanese. There are tons of shows that aren't popular in Japan but are in the West or vice versa, so it's kind of irrelevant.

Going to have to agree to disagree there. YOI is similarly popular in both regions from everything I have seen, so while UtaPri being popular in Japan and irrelevant in the UK is an example of why that is always going to be snubbed in popularity conversations, the fact that tens of thousands of Japanese fans are so impassioned that they will run out and buy very expensive discs (even BDs, which are traditionally a male-dominated market while women dominate the DVD sales) provides a nice backing to the claims that YOI is really, really popular online (and doing well in the CR regional rankings too, it would seem).

I'm afraid that in both the west and Japan, YOI is the current Big News. We'll move on when something better arrives which captures a new season's zeitgeist, but there's nothing else coming close to doing that right now.

R

You sure? Western fans were voting on the Tokyo Anime Festival (I think it was) awards. I know, because I saw tweets encouraging me to do it for YOI. I voted, but for World Trigger instead. Voting for anime awards in a foreign language is very easy, especially with Google Translate.

I suspect there's a very deliberate reason Crunchyroll didn't make it members only. But that's not a discussion for here.

Going to have to agree to disagree there. YOI is similarly popular in both regions from everything I have seen, so while UtaPri being popular in Japan and irrelevant in the UK is an example of why that is always going to be snubbed in popularity conversations, the fact that tens of thousands of Japanese fans are so impassioned that they will run out and buy very expensive discs (even BDs, which are traditionally a male-dominated market while women dominate the DVD sales) provides a nice backing to the claims that YOI is really, really popular online (and doing well in the CR regional rankings too, it would seem).

I'm afraid that in both the west and Japan, YOI is the current Big News. We'll move on when something better arrives which captures a new season's zeitgeist, but there's nothing else coming close to doing that right now.

R

I just don't get the logic that popularity in another country somehow demonstrates that it's popular in other countries. It won the CR awards and they had their ''anti cheating'' stuff in place, so we already know it's popular here, you don't need Japanese numbers to back it up. Also, I thought YOI would have stopped being news worthy when it finished, but I guess I was wrong. I'll give it another month or so...

You sure? Western fans were voting on the Tokyo Anime Festival (I think it was) awards. I know, because I saw tweets encouraging me to do it for YOI. I voted, but for World Trigger instead. Voting for anime awards in a foreign language is very easy, especially with Google Translate.

I suspect there's a very deliberate reason Crunchyroll didn't make it members only. But that's not a discussion for here.

Alright, if you want to be pedantic, it wasn't primarily voted on by Japanese people.

I just don't get the logic that popularity in another country somehow demonstrates that it's popular in other countries. It won the CR awards and they had their ''anti cheating'' stuff in place, so we already know it's popular here, you don't need Japanese numbers to back it up. Also, I thought YOI would have stopped being news worthy when it finished, but I guess I was wrong. I'll give it another month or so...

It's objectively popular in other countries (insert all of the tweets of actual ice skating celebrities raving about it here too). Japanese people are, like us, people, and it being popular in Japan as well as popular overseas shows that it's broken out of the 'too niche' category and become a bona fide hit.

I suspect it will fall in newsworthiness when something else comes along and smashes expectations in another way. I wonder what it will be?

R

To kill this boring "debate", how did everyone miss this Metro article over the week encouraging people to watch Attack on Titan on Netflix?

Amazingly, not once during the entire article does it mention the show is animated. It's nice to see anime treated as serious as larger budget Western franchises.

That's sort of weird, but cool. Especially from Metro who have been on my List for years after they got an intern to write articles telling everyone to torrent anime for free and never posted a satisfactory retraction or apology of any kind.

I hate Netflix's strategy but pushing big titles out to casual viewers is definitely one of the few benefits of the model.

R

It's objectively popular in other countries (insert all of the tweets of actual ice skating celebrities raving about it here too). Japanese people are, like us, people, and it being popular in Japan as well as popular overseas shows that it's broken out of the 'too niche' category and become a bona fide hit.

I suspect it will fall in newsworthiness when something else comes along and smashes expectations in another way. I wonder what it will be?

R

No one is arguing it isn't popular though? That's my whole point. That it being popular isn't news worthy. As much disdain I have for it, I'm not a nutcase who's going to sit here and tell you it isn't popular.

No one is arguing it isn't popular though? That's my whole point. That it being popular isn't news worthy. As much disdain I have for it, I'm not a nutcase who's going to sit here and tell you it isn't popular.

Well, this is a thread where we just spent a dozen posts or so complaining that anime didn't get into the Oscars again, which happens pretty much every year. As fans we're not known for our incredible ability to move on :D

R

R
I was not aware they had done that, otherwise I certainly wouldn't have continued reading them.

The other articles from the author are certainly interesting. It's a mix of seriousness news and more general entertainment, which speaks volumes about the reach of Attack on Titan. I'm mostly happy, but part of me is sad that something a little less crap isn't this well liked instead...

I wonder whether any of us originally got into anime while avoiding series which aren't regarded as somewhat terrible (though I like Attack On Titan). A lot of the younger generation was probably originally converted by dubbed, censored card/monster collection stuff that everyone else cringes at (in public, at least) :D

To be fair to Metro's current editors, it was probably a very long time ago that they were stupidly promoting torrenting and avoiding taking responsibility and they might be better now. I remember bitterly fighting with them on Manga UK's behalf (they were using some Manga show in the article, pathetically) back before I dropped Manga like a hot potato myself.

R

I wonder whether any of us originally got into anime while avoiding series which aren't regarded as somewhat terrible (though I like Attack On Titan). A lot of the younger generation was probably originally converted by dubbed, censored card/monster collection stuff that everyone else cringes at (in public, at least) :D

I got into anime with DBZ, Pokemon, Yugioh and ofc Cardcaptors! (that butchered english opening, and show is still forever in my memory)

In terms of hating popular shows I'd prob be king here, but I keep my opinions to myself mostly. I think AoT is trash, I think YOI is overrated, and I honestly can't understand how things like Haruhi ever got popular, but I'm in the minority in most cases, and accept that fact. I atleast can sit in a quiet dark room watching anime knowing I can watch what I enjoy and atleast somewhere on the internet exists someone who shares my opinions.

(Also Chaos Dragon isn't as bad as people make it out to be)

Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, January 23-29
There is the list Glad Zaregoto is still selling

Thank god that Lion's sales don't matter too much cause those sales hurt.

I'm partially triggered by Izetta Vol 2 selling more than Lion Vol 1 tho :|

tumblr_ofgthcEDHc1rd6sdio1_540.gif

Back