Zavvi Lists ‘Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex’ Blu-ray Exclusive Deluxe Release

Haha. I f**kin' knew it!

Right any DVDs people want me to buy so the Blu-Ray will be announced, what (checks another thread), a month later?

WELL NOW, ISN'T THIS INTERESTING!

I'll be watching for news on this like a hawk, rest assured. That's a nice package, but I'm not paying £100 for it.*

(Anyone responding to that with a 'that's what she said' message is getting Judge-whacked!)

Last edited:
So presumably as Manga have done some sort of deal with AL for the packaging, we can presume they won't be touching anything from Wanchor Bay's release? What an unusually pleasant surprise.

So presumably as Manga have done some sort of deal with AL for the packaging, we can presume they won't be touching anything from Wanchor Bay's release? What an unusually pleasant surprise.
Yeah this is four discs per season for a start. Also, I'm glad the Wanchor Bay name is catching on

That Anchor Bay release ranks as one of the most tragic misfires in anime history. If this is brand new, re-authored HD collection, I'll be over the moon.

It does need - and indeed deserve - a wider release, though. Anyway - resuming hawk-like watching stance!

That Anchor Bay release ranks as one of the most tragic misfires in anime history. If this is brand new, re-authored HD collection, I'll be over the moon.

It does need - and indeed deserve - a wider release, though. Anyway - resuming hawk-like watching stance!
It's probably the worst anime release in recent memory. Little to no effort was put into it, and the backlash was quite severe. I have no idea how many copies they sold but I imagine it wasn't many.

WELL NOW, ISN'T THIS INTERESTING!

I'll be watching for news on this like a hawk, rest assured. That's a nice package, but I'm not paying £100 for it.

Interesting, I see the £100 as a bargain really. Most bog standard, 12 episode anime on Blu Ray can cost you £25, so to get 52 episodes on Blu Ray, plus 3 films, plus a nice artbook, plus collectors packing for £100 is a bit of a steal, honestly, especially since you obviously are quite the GitS fan.

Interesting, I see the £100 as a bargain really. Most bog standard, 12 episode anime on Blu Ray can cost you £25, so to get 52 episodes on Blu Ray, plus 3 films, plus a nice artbook, plus collectors packing for £100 is a bit of a steal, honestly, especially since you obviously are quite the GitS fan.
Yeah it's honestly quite the package, wasn't even expecting the three films to be included

It's really my age and circumstances talking here. Unwritten law of the universe: When you're over 40, EVERYTHING is overpriced. I'm also facing an unexpectedly MASSIVE tax bill this year (I lettered too many comics for my own good!) so anime has been punted off the bottom of the shopping list for a while until I course correct with my finances.

The real thing is, it's the Zavvi exclusive status that puts the bigger downer on it for me. Plus the UE style package. As big a GITS fanboy as I am, and as much as this is the definitive version of it for me, there's some stuff in that package I just couldn't care less about, like the compilation movies. If £20 were shaved off it, I might be looking at it, stroking my chin and wondering if I *really* need to eat next month.

BUT, the bigger thing here is that the news has made me raise an eyebrow. GITS: SAC really deserves to get a good quality HD standard edition release, if only to potentially get it into more people's hands. So, let's see what we shall see, I guess!

It's really my age and circumstances talking here. Unwritten law of the universe: When you're over 40, EVERYTHING is overpriced. I'm also facing an unexpectedly MASSIVE tax bill this year (I lettered too many comics for my own good!) so anime has been punted off the bottom of the shopping list for a while until I course correct with my finances.

The real thing is, it's the Zavvi exclusive status that puts the bigger downer on it for me. Plus the UE style package. As big a GITS fanboy as I am, and as much as this is the definitive version of it for me, there's some stuff in that package I just couldn't care less about, like the compilation movies. If £20 were shaved off it, I might be looking at it, stroking my chin and wondering if I *really* need to eat next month.

BUT, the bigger thing here is that the news has made me raise an eyebrow. GITS: SAC really deserves to get a good quality HD standard edition release, if only to potentially get it into more people's hands. So, let's see what we shall see, I guess!

Fair enough! Being an adult sounds terrible, I'm sure I'll be the same when I get there :p

Fair enough! Being an adult sounds terrible, I'm sure I'll be the same when I get there :p

God no, it's awful. Nothing's affordable, everything gets taxed, you end up paying out vast sums of money for no immediately appreciable benefit, everything young people say to you sounds stupid, the music isn't as good as you remember, and you spend ages looking at everyone else your age wondering if they ever really grew up.

When I'm Prime Minister, I'll oversee the euthanisation of everybody at the age of 30. Just like in Logan's Run. Which is a film everyone else on this forum is too young to remember. (It had Jenny Agutter in it - Google her. Apparently it's mandatory for old men to fancy her.) But it'll be for everyone's benefit! You'll see! You'll all thank me for it when Donald Trump's kids aren't allowed to get old and crazy like he is. Not that I'll have much say over how non-UK citizens do things. But I can at least see about booting him in the happy sacks when I go over to the USA on a diplomatic wotsit thingy. What are they called?

Eh. Never mind. Anyway - VOTE FOR MEEEEEEEE!

What was this thread about, again?

wondering if I *really* need to eat next month.
Nah, I'm sure you can do 2 months with a just a little here and there 😜
Which is a film everyone else on this forum is too young to remember
Mmmm
jenny-agutter-in-logans-run-1976.jpg
😍

I'm actually super-interested in the authoring of this set. The FR set has 12 discs to the UK one's (at the moment anyway) 11, with the latter including an extra movie to boot. I'm not sure how everything was distributed on the discs in France, but I'm interested in how ours will be. Some screenshots I've seen of the French set shows some pretty bad colour-banding issues and the like, so will wonder if our set will make use of French's masters or if a full re-author and just using the same packaging will be what happens.

Pff. Real women have purple hair, mass manufactured prosthetic bodies and know how to handle an assault rifle.

I'm going now. If anyone needs me, I'll be licking the condensation from my windows and trying to decide if I can live like that for the next six weeks.

French discs for those wondering were laid out like this:
Disc 01 - SAC Season 1 episodes 1-6
Disc 02 - SAC Season 1 episodes 7-12
Disc 03 - SAC Season 1 episodes 13-18
Disc 04 - SAC Season 1 episodes 19-24
Disc 05 - SAC Season 1 episodes 25-26 + Extras

Disc 06 - SAC Season 2 episodes 1-6
Disc 07 - SAC Season 2 episodes 7-12
Disc 08 - SAC Season 2 episodes 13-18
Disc 09 - SAC Season 2 episodes 19-24
Disc 10 - SAC Season 2 episodes 25-26 + Extras

Disc 11 - SAC Season 1 Individual Eleven compilation film
Disc 12 - SAC Season 2 Laughing Man compilation film

I'll be interested in picking this considering the amount of content in the set. I think the price is fine, though would love if a voucher comes out to knock 15-20% off.

And this is me eating crow since I was probably one of the ones many, many years ago when Manga first suggested a BR SAC set (round about the start of the BR era) that would've told ya this was FAR too expensive.

I've never seen the ghost in the Shell TV series, I've only seen the movie's, I've got the DVD set, might give it a try this weekend and if I like it I'll pick up this set.

Back