Your viewing journal

Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai episode 1

I always have time for anime about otaku, and this one has a rather unique twist. Main character Kyosuke discovers that his younger sister Kirino, with whom he doesn't get along, is an otaku with a large collection of DVDs and merchandise... and a particular interest in little sister/big brother romance eroge.

I know what you're thinking. I was thinking it too. And so was Kyosuke. But much to the relief of all, Kirino leaves everyone in no doubt that she is able to distinguish between the worlds of 2D and 3D, and it's obvious the series is being played for laughs. Good, clean(ish) fun.

Yay!! Every positive impression that comes in for OreImo will makes my smile wider and wider. ^__^ Haven't actually watched the first ep still because I'm a bit nervous that I won't like what they've done with it, but it might be my most anticipated anime adaptation EVER, so that will do for now.

Agree with Reevo about IRONOMAN basically, music was horrible also, although it did look OK.

Liked MM! a bit more, but that's because I'm crazy like that.

Also the bakumen (there's two of them, right?) started off really well.

Panty & Stocking was pretty ****** for the first ten minutes (see what I did there?) but I thought from the ridiculously over-sexed transformation scene onwards it was pretty entertaining. Comparisons at anything above a superficial level with American stuff don't fly for me though, this is clearly a Gainax series at heart.

Professor Irony said:
Originally, I was going to do the honourable thing and wait for the free stream on crunchyroll
Surely the honorable thing is to subscribe to CR? ;)

edit: that said, there is no way I'm waiting until Saturday to watch Ika-musume, which has gone up to being about my third or fourth most anticipated show this season. I don't understand what the point of having such a close tie to TV Tokyo is, and then showing your "simul"cast five days later.

OreImo 1, first reactions:
So Otaku also import R1 DVDs,
My, that's a lot of eroge,
Hang on those are all real ones,
pauses, checks who the lead seiyuu is,
oh wait they changed the odd letter,
They're still all using real cover art,
Sees how many he can recognise,
spends 10 minutes frame by frameing through trying to work out what AIRs title got changed to,
Restarts scene,
watches rest of ep,
she's got vested interests in giving her bro siscon games hasn't she...,

Ayana Taketatsu is a bloody good seiyuu
KIRINO IS MAI WAIFU!!!

It's between this and Bakuman as to what's best so far this season.

Iron Man 7/10

Not a bad start, but being a first ep not much happens. The Zodiac villain concept is quite interesting (no doubt one per each of the episodes) though Scorpio was defeated with ridiculous ease. And I mean ridiculous. All it took was a pair of repulsor blasts to totally ANNIHILATE HIM. A uni beam maybe but JUST repulsors? Weak. Hopefully the next round will feature more action and be more of a challenge

Overall the Stark in Japan plot works pretty well, the reporter's a pretty fun character and judging by the OP it seems to be an alternative sequel to the first Iron Man movie (which should please haters of IM2). The cgi also blended better than initially thought, but still more obtrusive than 2d which I would have massively preferred after the glorius first teaser *sigh* the road not taken...

Nonetheless I'll be back for another.

Last edited by a moderator:
Linebarrels of Iron - Episodes 4 & 5

Barefoot Gen

There is something about the way only animation, especially how the Japanese do it, that can truly portray the horror and emotion of events such as the Hiroshima bombing. Like with 'When the wind blows' it is impossible not feel to something about this film.

memorium said:
Stuart-says-yes said:
code geass ep 14 - 21, oh dear oh dear, good job using your geass lelouch, all those poor japs

also code geass 22-25 mother flipping cliffhangers, curses and its another 29 days to the expo too( I assume I'll be able to get R2 cheaper than it is online)
R2 is very confusing at first, trust me :)

It's not too bad and I agree the payoff is worth it. Noticably more fanservicey though, with loli princesses galore =P

Ore no Imouto Episode 1 - Very good start, I really liked it how Kirino starts to really open up to her otaku habit to her brother. Laughed at plenty of moments and the art style is great.

Bakuman episode 1 - What can I say really, I was already looking forward to watching this when i bought the first manga volume, character introducions are great and Mashiro reaction when he blurts out a marriage proposal , Priceless!

Much better offering's here.

Yosuga no Sora, I need to gouge out my eyes now.
That ED.
No censor, masive fanservice in pre ED comedy skit
BROCON INCEST, no ******** about it, INCEST.

That was actual moe cancer, I mangaed to watch all 3 series of bloody Koihime Musou okay. That was the most applaing shite I have ever watched.

Moved post over from the other thread:

I didn't dislike Yosuga at all. It was like a fairly innocuous, standard show for 90% of it, and then just had three or four bits that made me take my glasses off and clean them to make sure I was really seeing what I thought I was seeing. ^^; And I thought that visually it was particularly above average, really not sure what there was to dislike there. Those three or four bits were pretty... abrupt, though, so I totally understand not liking the show overall.

I dislike the character designs, they look like the ones in Shana, which looks fairly weak. Grey pallet for everything as well, scenery looks washed out.
The characters themselves are mostly cookie cutter; childhood freind-miko ,meganeko-childhood frend-oneesan, ero-maid, ojousama, deredere and sickly-little sister-twincest. Plot is already predictable for most girls, too many steroetype elements.
The music was fairly bland, standard faire, Apart from the OP, which was okay but didn't stand out much and the ED which I think is cancer. Think that's the worst song I've ever heard by the OP artist as well.
Didn't much like it, then absolutely despised the last 5-6 minutes.

Ah yeah, very wishy-washy colors, but I think that's just what they're going for in terms of tone and atmosphere. I thought the art and animation was fairly strong, overall.

Maxon's probably going to say something about you complaining about the show using a bunch of stereotypes, btw. :p

Some more ep 1s:

--

SHINRYAKU!
SHINRYAKU!
SHINRYAKU!
SHINRYAKU!
SHINRYAKU!
SHINRYAKU!

IKA-MUSUME!

Absolutely fantastic de geso. Ika-musume herself is just too entertaining. The other characters... maybe not so much, but you don't need them to do anything other than be foils for Ika. Need some avatars of her, can see her being my favorite newly-discovered character of the season.

SRW OG - I for some reason thought that this was a new, stand alone story, which it clearly isn't after watching literally 11 seconds of it, so I'm going to try to watch the first season before I carry on. Mechs and women look great, though, so I will come back to it.

Star Driver - Ludicrous. Spectacular. Brilliant.

Shinrei Tantei Yakumo - The A-plot wasn't exactly the riddliest of riddles, but Yakumo is a pretty cool character, show definitely has some potential.

Samurai Girls - watched the first ep of this a while ago actually, but yeah, this is the kind of guilty pleasure show that I can never quite bring myself to leave alone.

Otome Youkai Zakuro - Beautiful, beautiful show. Wonderfully well made. Only moderately entertaining so far, but you can't expect everything to have a Star Driver-esque balls-to-the-wall first episode, especially not something like this.

I finished off Occult Academy. Not a bad show but it did fall flat at times and I spotted what the Nostradamus Key was well before the end. Also with the ending I had a "I don't think time travel would work like that moment".

Also finished off Mitsudomoe. Not the beast anime but a very funny attempt at a Japanese version of the Carry On movies with preteens as the cast.

Dracos said:
Also finished off Mitsudomoe. Not the beast anime but a very funny attempt at a Japanese version of the Carry On movies with preteens as the cast.
Heh, an interesting way of looking at it. I think I had blocked that from my mind as I absolutely hate the Carry On movies with a passion.

Back