Your viewing journal

SoreMachi ep 1 - Fantastic start. I'd read the opening chapter or so of the manga a few months ago, so I knew it was amusing enough, but the SHAFT element of course just adds to the quality, and I am growing to love Omigawa Chiaki. In a season full of great female characters already, I still love Hotori to bits.

Tantei Opera Milky Holmes ep 1 - lol, did not see this coming. It's funnier that I thought, because I didn't think it would be a comedy at all. Weird mish-mash of utter crazy, and overly cute detective homage. Presuming (and this could be a stretch) that they do actually do something with the detective side of things, could be as entertaining as I hoped when I first read the bizarre name.

Amagami ep 14 - Good comeback for the show, although I still don't find this arc quite as entertaining as the ones that have come before it. Jun'ichi's confession was great, and we definitely need more Takahashi-sensei!

DenYuuDen ep 15 - Really solid ep, nice mix of a side-story and some underlying main plot. The more Fraude, the better. The more Milk, the better. There's a reason (maybe) they were introduced in the same chapter of the novels, and that's because they're both awesome. Not sure how they're going to cover even the 11 main DenYuuDen novels if this is 26 eps though, if they also want to add in side-story stuff.

fabricatedlunatic said:
The World God Only Knows episode 1

Oh dear. It started so well then suddenly turned into sludgy, mawkish drama. Far too shallow to take seriously and far too sentimental for me to enjoy as a comedy.

The first arc in the manga was easily the least of them, and that's it finished. Much of the entertainment value comes from the ridiculous strategical planning Keima puts into each 'capture' (admittedly not much in evidence here) and the sheer number of girls he has to contend with. Each new girl is his monster of the week (hello, Sigmund Freud).

Of course, how well the anime's going to deal with this remains to be seen, but I'm still optimistic.

Fortune Arterial ep 1 - cool set up (OK, I just like anything remotely to do with vampires, OK?), pretty visuals, definitely going to be following this.

Togainu no Chi ep 1 - I seriously don't even remember a thing about what happened in this episode, and I only watched it a couple of hours ago. Likely to be dropped. Some nice animation, some not so nice, boring and vague narrative.

Panty & Stocking ep 2 - not as funny as the first one, for me. Good energy still, but less optimistic than I was after the first episode.

To Aru Majutsu no Index II ep 1 - Woo-hoo! Index is back to great effect. In fact, just the OP had me nearly boiling over with excitement.

Fun little A-plot that allowed for an easy reintroduction to the lead characters, and some nice action. Did remind me of one reason why I prefer Railgun - Index herself I still find a little bit annoying - and one reason why I prefer Index - Touma is way cooler in "his" series than in Mikoto's. Cute little scene for Mikoto, too. :~

The post-credit section was very much welcom (Kanzaki is always very much welcome as far as I'm concerned), and from the preview I guess the real story will get started next week. Can't wait!

To Aru Majutsu no Index II episode 1

A awesome start to the series, with some scenes really making me laugh especially the one with Mikoto and the OP is brilliant ^_^

Index II 1, damn that was better than season 1.
Fortune Arterial 1, seems ok thus far.
Still waiting on legal squid girl.. 3 hours to go.
MM!, (sod that I'm translating the title) Masocist Masocist! 2, alright seems to be devoping chara ok.

To Love-Ru OVA's episodes 3-6 - The only episode I liked was the Nana and Momo episode, the rest were below average at best, watched these so I can go on to watch...

Motto To Love-Ru episode 1 - ...this, I had to see and believe the bright sun ray blocking all of the ecchiness. Its your usual Harem antics that made the first season so popular. Not an exciting start to be honest.

Bakuman 1 - Nice Death Note reference. Shame about the future sexism. I'm all for women knowing their place... but doing averagely at school is intelligent for a girl so as not distance herself from males?... Ok, then. As long as I get my slice-of-life Team DN otakuism business, I'm down with it.

Imouto 1 - There's no way I can ever enjoy these types like certain undesirables who frequent this message board, but it's good slice-of-life/comedy fun; to begin with, at least. The anime having backgrounds 24/7 and colour making the characters more distinctive pleases me.

Kami 1 - The sexiest looking of the currently airing bunch, up to yet, and probably the series that'll prove to be most amusing, in the long run. A video game girl master using his skillz on real girls = entertainment. A harem with a difference is a harem worth watching.

Yakumo 1 - Ghost Hunt, with more predictably and a shounen-looking main villain. Not a lot was spent on the production, going on my eyes, also. Not bad but not a 100% keeper, either...

The Incest Anime Based on Some Erotic Game - Looks nice, but I ain't so sure about bro-brat tonguing sis-brat, to be perfectly honest. The trolling at the end of the episode ("make me come," or w/e) will lead to lulz in ep2, though, and my rating will increase at a slightly slower rate than Fabio's as the incest gets flowin'.

Stuart-says-yes said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Stuart-says-yes said:
Gundam 00 ep 1-21

Oh noes poor saji

Sad tiems =( Also what's your opinion of Nena? I ****in hate her.

Indeed, I don't mind nena but I don't like any of the gundam trio after that episode.

I don't mind Johan. But Michael annoys me and I outright hate Nena, he has just such an annoying personality and acts like a spoiled brat. Fortunately my man Ali is soon to dish out 'justice' >=P

Last edited by a moderator:
That-Bastard-Bad-Guy-Aion said:
Bakuman 1 - Nice Death Note reference. Shame about the future sexism. I'm all for women knowing their place... but doing averagely at school is intelligent for a girl so as not distance herself from males?... Ok, then. As long as I get my slice-of-life Team DN otakuism business, I'm down with it.

Imouto 1 - There's no way I can ever enjoy these types like certain undesirables who frequent this message board, but it's good slice-of-life/comedy fun; to begin with, at least. The anime having backgrounds 24/7 and colour making the characters more distinctive pleases me.

The Incest Anime Based on Some Erotic Game - Looks nice, but I ain't so sure about bro-brat tonguing sis-brat, to be perfectly honest. The trolling at the end of the episode ("make me come," or w/e) will lead to lulz in ep2, though, and my rating will increase at a slightly slower rate than Fabio's as the incest gets flowin'.
Bakuman- It's shounen, it's going to be socialy conservative.
OreImo- there's brocon, that's it, no incest anywhere at least to the 5th novel. It's a comedy about a seemingly perfect little sister who likes little sister eroge, that's all.
YoSora- why are you watching this if you don't want to see incest, it's the main selling point of the show. I hate everything they added to the anime version so far (all the fanservice). The make me come to school (suspected she's undressing to take measurements for her unifrom) scene was probably the worst of that.

Finaly out.
Squid girl 1- was squidtastic, the subs did squiding surprise me at first though. She speaks like a smurf.

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit off-topic, but if you read novels about cute little sisters, and know about the source material incest anime are based on, make sure you watch/read these two:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/819
http://myanimelist.net/anime/634

The female view on Bakuman: http://jphinano.wordpress.com/2010/01/1 ... clubhouse/

As a male, I don't really care a great deal. I noticed the sexism but didn't cry myself to sleep over it. However, what does bother me is the romance aspect being damaged by Miho remained as the empty, agreeable prize. That ain't on, man...

My comment about Imouto was finger-in-cheek - I've read the first volume of manga and know no smut was present. It's definitely more Genshiken than "YoSora", or whatever the **** it's called.

I'm watching YoSora in an effort to better understand the mind of an individual who lusts after school girls and his sister; that's all. And I knew next to nothing about it besides the whole incest thing, going in.

What bothered me about the first episode wasn't the potential/probable anime team trolling: it was the bit where the pre-teen bro surprise-tongued his little sis. Either brothers are far more advanced these days as 2D brats or something was very wrong with that scene..,

Is the squid anime Seto Mermaid/Yatsura stupid or Azumanga stupid?

Jayme said:
Reaper gI said:
Bakuman- It's shounen, it's going to be socialy conservative.
Well, that a lie. One Piece does good women. Naruto features pretty great ones. Fullmetal Alchemist is outright brilliant at them.

Really? I mean, really? A psychopathic lady in skin-tight black clothes, a bland girl mechanic who barely gets any screen time, and a slavishly devoted female soldier sidekick who... barely gets any screen time?

For marginally decent women characters in shounen, you need:

Gundam SEED
MS Gundam
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Robotech: The Macross Saga
Er...

As for me, I'm currently watching:

Kemono no Souja Erin - one of the best family shows in ages
Robotech: The Macross Saga - fun but flimsy
New Getter Robo - this show appeals to those with a penis, and tries to grow new ones for those who don't!
Blazing Transfer Student - minimally entertaining spoof of the shounen genre and Gainax obscurity. Interesting to watch in that sort of 'wow, I can't believe how powerfully it makes me realise just how stupid shounen really is! ****, have I been taking this **** seriously all my life???' way.

I haven't seen the Bakuman anime but have read volume one of the manga and it sounds identical, so I feel like joining in. I profess to be a female and didn't think that it was terrifically sexist; the things mentioned certainly are sexist, however the main characters are young, manga-loving boys. Young boys aren't exactly known for their realistic knowledge of girls, so saying ridiculously manly things is appropriate. The entire thing was presented in what I took to be a self-referential tongue in cheek look at how things look to an insecure schoolboy. The treatment of Miho as little more than a prize is completely normal for shounen manga. The lead's hero worship of his uncle is similarly over the top, and I thought it was cool. It's a throwback to a lot of classic, manly shounen stuff.

In other words, I didn't take it terrifically seriously, so I wasn't offended at all. I do however enjoy Queen's Blade so my credentials as a feminist may be questionable. My husband once said that the most realistic girls in Shounen Jump are the ones in Gintama, because they're all selfish, odd and aggressive, exactly like the men in Gintama.

The female love interest in Bakuman really did remind me of a Katsura character though (which is about as far as I got through that blog before closing it in fear of spoilers). In my case it was Iori from I"s though I really do think that Obata was channelling Katsura somewhere in the delicate, too-good-to-be-true way she was drawn. Not a complaint.

R

VivisQueen said:
Really? I mean, really? A psychopathic lady in skin-tight black clothes, a bland girl mechanic who barely gets any screen time, and a slavishly devoted female soldier sidekick who... barely gets any screen time?
Indeed, the women were there to feature the men, but I thought they all still had fully realised story arcs. Winry definitely got shafted, but I thought a lot of the others were strong. The entire journey of FMA has people dropping out left, right and centre, no matter whether they were male or female. I will say "brilliant" is probably a bit of hyperbole, and its simply "good/better-than-average" at them.

I only read the first chapter of Bakuman and I didn't get anything hugely sexist from it. It all seemed dorky and fine, like Rui said. I think the comments mainly come from how horrible Light (and the Death Note story, overall) is to them.

Back