Your viewing journal

The next-door neighbor couple and their friend came back for more anime Wednesday night, and we marathoned through the remaining 7 episodes of Ajin Season 1, Episodes 7-13. I'm not sure when they will be available next to start Season 2, as they said they probably won't be home this weekend - but they definitely are chomping at the bit to see more!
thumbsup.gif

2019-03-29_2.png

Boogiepop and Others (Japanese audio) - Episodes 14-18 [Arc 4: Overdrive: The King of Distortion] (Complete)
Domestic Girlfriend (Japanese audio) - Episode 12 (Complete)
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind (Japanese audio) - Episode 24
Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka (Japanese audio) - Episodes 10-12 (Complete)

Playing catch-up on the simulcasts of the Winter season. Here's my backlog thus far:
Autumn 2018:
Goblin Slayer - 12 of 12 Completed
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind - 24 of 39 up-to-date
Senran Kagura Shinovi Master - 2 of 12
Sword Art Online: Alicization (Season 1) - 23 of 24 up-to-date
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime - 19 of 24
ZOMBIE LAND SAGA - 3 of 12

Winter 2018:
Boogiepop & Others - 18 of 18 Completed
Domestic Girlfriend - 12 of 12 Completed
Dororo - 12 of 24 up-to-date
Kaguya-sama: Love is War - 2 of 12
Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka - 12 of 12 Completed
Mob Psycho 100 II - 12 of 13 up-to-date
The Promised Neverland - 12 of 12 Completed

The Quintessential Quintuplets - 12 of 12 Completed
The Rising of the Shield Hero - 12 of 25 up-to-date

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure ep 25
Good ep, a genuinely scary situation and stand battle. I actually genuinely jumped when Notorious BIG hit the window next to Trish near the end. Even though it was obviously coming. And that's not a sentence that makes any sense outside of context...
Looking forward to the reveal next week.

A Certain Magical Index ep 25
Things were happening, speeches were made. It's Index alright, although honestly at times it's kinda hard to follow some of the logic of the characters and magic/ESP involved. Much easier when reading the LNs. I've been expecting Misaka to have a proper part for weeks now and still nothing, so I guess she's just going to do nothing in the end. Oh well.

Spec-Ops Asuka ep 12
Yeah, pretty redundant episode. As I predicted, a weird combination of slice-of-life fluff and torture. Although I will grant there were some meaningful discussions and actual deep musings involved. And then it goes and shows Queen in bed with scissors magical girl. For some reason. Also some relatively meaningless hints at the continuing plot as I'd be amazed if it gets a second season, and I have no interest in getting the manga after that.
In many ways this episode was a microcosm of the entire show. It could have been very good but weird fanservice and fetishistic scenes kinda spoiled it. It certainly has it's moments but in the end it was a bit disappointing. 4/10, maybe pushing a 4.5.

Boogiepop and Others Ep 18

Honestly not exactly sure how I feel about it, it wasn't great, had some cool moments while liking how it sounds and looks. But never felt amazing or anything.. 5/10

Hinomaru Sumo ep 24

Felt rushed, quite rushed. But then again also very average. 5/10

Last edited:
Macross Plus episodes 3-4 [End] - A short followup that delivers on great characters and excellent animation. The main conflict between the main characters was executed pretty well the little glimpse into the world after the Space War was quite interesting. The music was also pretty great with music by Yoko Kanno and some memorable insert songs. 8/10

I would have watched the movie today but Manga's VHS transfer is ridiculously bad so I'm forced to sail the seas for that one... just like the rest of the franchise I suppose.

Super Dimension Fortress Macross
Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love?
Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Flash Back 2012
Macross Plus

Macross Plus Movie Edition
Macross 7
Macross 7 The Movie: The Galaxy is Calling Me!
Macross 7: Encore
Macross Dynamite 7
Macross Zero
Macross Frontier
Macross Frontier Movie: The False Songstress
Macross Frontier Movie: The Wings of Goodbye
Macross FB7 Galaxy Flow Soul: Listen to My Song!
Macross Delta
Macross Delta Movie: Passionate Walküre

A Certain Magical Index III episode 25 The atmosphere seemed somehow calmer this week.

Boogiepop and Others episode 18 Boogiepop ends as it began, fascinating and mysterious. (Complete. A rather oblique anime that makes good use of a non-linear narrative, though I think a rewatch might help me appreciate it all better, as the story was a bit to take in. Great ED too.) 3.5/5

Date A Live III episode 12 A decent finale. (Complete. This season felt rather lightweight for the most part, and the major serious arc wasn’t that impressive to me. I’d still happily watch a fourth season, but hope the stories ahead are better.) 3/5

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure Part 5: Golden Wind episode 24 Not a fan of flying myself.

Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar episodes 6-13
(Complete. Quite different from the other Tenchi entries in that it has a more involving plot and revolves around mecha and the like. The first half is a lot of fun, whilst the second half ramps up the action and drama. It’s a very good series though it does have its trappings at times with the Harem cliches and Kenshi is a bit bland as a lead at times.) 4/5

Date A Live III (English Dub) Episode 10

Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka (English Dub) Episode 10

A Certain Magical Index III Episode 25
The calm before the storm.

Boogiepop and Others Episode 18 (Complete)
An interesting series with a fascinating and mysterious story plot, but other than that I really don't know what to make of this apart from it pretty much being confusing most of the time. Overall it was good but a rewatch will be needed to properly digest all the details. 3.5/5

Date A Live III Episode 12 (Complete)
A very silly final episode but quite entertaining. A decent instalment for the DAL franchise with pretty much more of the same as the previous seasons. Another fun series and an enjoyable watch. 3/5

Domestic Girlfriend Episode 12 (Complete)
A decent series with some very realistic and mature themes. Because of the way it was advertised, when I started the first episode I thought I was getting the next Scum's Wish. This didn't turn out to be the case, however that doesn't mean it was a bad series. The love triangle presented in this situation was kinda realistic, sober, and didn't involve incest, which is a plus I appreciated. Out of the three protagonists, Rui was the best one, being well-balanced and cute. The other two were outright not likeable, being overly dramatic and kinda pathetic in some situations. Animation was decent, and the protagonist development was alright, though I wish other supporting characters like Miu had been better developed. The ending took me by surprise. It wasn't excellent, but it was satisfying, on the right side of things. Overall, it was a good enjoyable watch. 3/5

Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka Episode 12 (Complete)
An anime series with some pretty dark undertones and a decent story. The show itself is pretty average with some decent battle action and generous dose of SoL and fanservice which looks really good with the art and animation. Overall this was a fun series, but I did find that the torture stuff was way to overbearing. 3/5

The Quintessential Quintuplets ep 12 (complete)
So they ducked out on whose hand he was holding by him being sick. There was the odd hint like Itsuki being the first one to hold it and him still having Nino's lucky charm on his wedding day. All this is moot, because Raiha is best girl, especially seeing how cute she is in flash forward scene (just need the OreImo specials ending 😜).
Overall quite a fun ride. Dispite having, obviously, similar looks the girls all are quite different in character (I don't especially like their body type though, the breasts are a bit too big).
The art and animation were good for the most part, but we're a bit off sometimes and it seemed still shots crept in a bit more towards the end.
7/10 (another case of needing a .5 on MAL)

Girly Air Force ep 12 (complete)
Mind-control...sigh.
Not really. Rihno was American made and like a lot of American stuff was poorly made and they cut corners, so she merely went back to being a Xi the moment she was away from them because the safeguards didn't work! I agree it was a bit of a non ending though and I doubt there'll be a second season.
Overall it was OK. The relationship stuff (man with artificial man made entity) was fairly interesting, but nothing new really. The art was average including generic looking male MC #1001. The dogfighting stuff was pretty good though.
6/10

The Promised Neverland ep 12 (complete)
Good finale with all the scheming throughout the series coming to a head. A nice flashback fleshed out Mama a bit more as well.
Overall it did feel a little slow at times and whilst I did like the characters the threat to their wellbeing always felt far off or in the background rather than more immediate which means I wasn't as invested in their plight. The art and animation were fine.
7/10

Hinomaru Sumo ep 24 (complete)
Epic final bout, could have gone either way.
Overall it was fairly enjoyable and I liked most of the characters. Full of the usual sports show clichés and some general anime clichés as well, but I learnt a bit about Sumo as well. Art was good, but animation suffered especially in the fights by using stills a lot.
7/10

A Certain Magical Index III episode 25
I feel like this is all over the place for me. No idea what the LNs are like, but its trying to have too many characters involved and given that its a weekly show certain characters lose focus and are forgotten about for the next few weeks. It probably worked better in the source material but I'm just waiting for it to finish now.

Boogiepop & Others episode 18 (complete)
Enjoyed this one and I do find it comparable to Paranoia Agent (in tone at least) but I think it'll feel a lot more fluid with a re-watch.

Domestic Girlfriend episode 12 (complete)
Now I really enjoyed this series up until the end but it sort of didn't feel like they put much thought into the ending. More like they just wrapped it up the same as any other episode and crossed their fingers for another season.

Date-A-Live III episode 12 (complete)
I thought this season was really mediocre and was just a bit of downtime for the brain on a Friday night for me.

Magical Girls Spec-Ops Asuka episode 12 (complete)
Was a bit rubbish but didn't hold back on the gory moments which was fun. A lot of it came across as an attempt to shock the audience though and that felt a bit stupid.
It could have been very good but weird fanservice and fetishistic scenes kinda spoiled it.
I do agree with that statement, but that's what'll get it another season

The Quintessential Quintuplets ep 12 (complete)
So they ducked out on whose hand he was holding by him being sick. There was the odd hint like Itsuki being the first one to hold it and him still having Nino's lucky charm on his wedding day. All this is moot, because Raiha is best girl, especially seeing how cute she is in flash forward scene (just need the OreImo specials ending 😜).
Overall quite a fun ride. Dispite having, obviously, similar looks the girls all are quite different in character (I don't especially like their body type though, the breasts are a bit too big).
The art and animation were good for the most part, but we're a bit off sometimes and it seemed still shots crept in a bit more towards the end.
7/10 (another case of needing a .5 on MAL)

Girly Air Force ep 12 (complete)

Not really. Rihno was American made and like a lot of American stuff was poorly made and they cut corners, so she merely went back to being a Xi the moment she was away from them because the safeguards didn't work! I agree it was a bit of a non ending though and I doubt there'll be a second season.
Overall it was OK. The relationship stuff (man with artificial man made entity) was fairly interesting, but nothing new really. The art was average including generic looking male MC #1001. The dogfighting stuff was pretty good though.
6/10

The Promised Neverland ep 12 (complete)
Good finale with all the scheming throughout the series coming to a head. A nice flashback fleshed out Mama a bit more as well.
Overall it did feel a little slow at times and whilst I did like the characters the threat to their wellbeing always felt far off or in the background rather than more immediate which means I wasn't as invested in their plight. The art and animation were fine.
7/10

Hinomaru Sumo ep 24 (complete)
Epic final bout, could have gone either way.
Overall it was fairly enjoyable and I liked most of the characters. Full of the usual sports show clichés and some general anime clichés as well, but I learnt a bit about Sumo as well. Art was good, but animation suffered especially in the fights by using stills a lot.
7/10
You’re probably right. I missed that bit of commentary when I watched the episode it seems. Good observation there!

Last edited:
Sword Art Online: Alicization [Season 1] (Japanese audio) - Episode 24 (Complete)
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (Japanese audio) - Episodes 20-24 (Complete)

Playing catch-up on the simulcasts of the Winter season. Here's my backlog thus far:
Autumn 2018:
Sword Art Online: Alicization (Season 1) - 24 of 24 Completed
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime - 24 of 24 Completed
ZOMBIE LAND SAGA - 3 of 12

Winter 2018:
Kaguya-sama: Love is War - 2 of 12

2019-03-30_33.png

Golden Kamuy [Season 2] (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-4
Kaguya-sama: Love is War (Japanese audio) - Episodes 3-4
ZOMBIE LAND SAGA (Japanese audio) - Episodes 4-6

Autumn 2018:
Golden Kamuy (Season 2) - 4 of 12
Sword Art Online: Alicization (Season 1) - 24 of 24 Completed
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime - 24 of 24 Completed
ZOMBIE LAND SAGA - 6 of 12

Winter 2018:
Kaguya-sama: Love is War - 4 of 12

Endro! (English Dub) Episode 9

Bermuda Triangle: Colorful Pastrale Episode 12 (Complete)
A decent enough SoL show with a very unusual premise. For a decent endeavour that unfortunately didn't quite work because of the poor animation quality, it was still a good attempt at doing something different regardless. At least the characters are likeable an the concept is unique. 3/5

Endro! Episode 12 (Complete)
A pretty lightweight series with a nice atmosphere but other than that, very silly but fun and that's what made it to be a good enough watch. 3/5

Fairy Tail Episode 302
The fighting rages on.

Grimms Notes The Animation Episode 12 (Complete)
This was some pretty decent stuff with its interesting story premise. I really liked how this took classic children's stories and re-imagined it while staying faithful to the original story. The animation is good and the with a fun cast of characters made this an enjoyable watch. 3/5

Kaguya-Sama: Love is War Episode 12 (Complete)
A very good romantic comedy anime with a decent plot. This was such a fun show with its hilarious witty comedy and the the Shirogane-Kaguya relationship is pretty fascinating. The best girl award for this has got to go to Chika, because she brought so much life to the series. Overall this was fun and enjoyable and the animation is very good. Hopefully we get a season 2. 3.5/5

Sword Art Online Alicization Episode 24
An absolutely brilliant episode. That was one hell of a fight. That ending tho... now that's a cliffhanger. And so begins the 6 month wait.

W'z Episode 13 (Complete)

Bermuda Triangle: Colourful Pastrale episode 12 A fine final outing with some superb moments for the OST. (Complete. This is a series that sort of slipped by the wayside. It’s not amazing by any means but was an enjoyable enough watch each week to consider decent. Just don’t expect the animation to be that impressive-those eyes-or for the laws of physics to apply most of the time.) 3/5

ENDRO! episode 12 Dealing with the demon King. (Complete. Mu mu mu, mu mu mu...For real though I do like a bit of fantasy, especially when it’s fun and a bit silly like Endro was. I’d take another season happily.) 3.5/5

Fairy Tail: Final Season episode 302 Some signature lewd FT material as the fight marches on.

Grimms Notes: The Animation episode 12 The final tale. (Complete. With series’ like this that comprise of smaller arcs my overall score tends to reflect the balance between them, in the case of Grimms notes they were middling to decent, which sums up my overall thoughts: this was fine, it had some very fun ideas here and there but didn’t really leave much of an impression on me as a whole.) 3/5

Kaguya-Sama: Love is War episode 12 A bit of drama to close things off. (Complete. Though I didn’t love this quite as much as others have I did find the series to be good fun with plenty of humour and “will they won’t they?” antics.) 3.5/5

The Familiar of Zero: Knight of the Twin Moons episodes 1-12 (Complete. This was a bit of a disappointment. The core romance saw little progression from the tsundere stereotypes and misunderstandings of the first season, whilst the story switched between throwaway plots and story arcs for new characters who weren’t that engaging, whilst the established supporting cast barely appear for the most part. So far the Zero franchise has been very average but maybe Season 3 can improve the franchise for me.) 3/5

Last edited:
Sword Art Online: Alicization Ep 24 [END]

Nice end, looking forward to S2. 6/10

Kaguya-Sama: Love is War ep 12 [End]

In my mind it was slighly better than Quintuplets, but top 2 for sure. 8/10

Last edited:
Arakawa Under the Bridge episodes 10-13 [End] - I'm honestly quite surprised by how much I loved this series. It's absolutely absurd but in between these comedic moments the series has a certain quality to it that's just so lovable and sincere. Shaft have done a great job on this series with their usual style and presentation totally fitting the tone of the story. The characters were all great fun and Recruit's development through the series as he gets used to life under the bridge was nice to see. The OP is also a good bop. Wholesome surrealism is in. 9/10

Macross Plus Movie Edition [Film] - An big improvement over the OVA series, expanding on some scenes and trimming away unneeded stuff. A fantastic movie in all areas and my favourite instalment in the franchise so far. 9/10
Super Dimension Fortress Macross
Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love?
Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Flash Back 2012
Macross Plus
Macross Plus Movie Edition

Macross 7
Macross 7 The Movie: The Galaxy is Calling Me!
Macross 7: Encore
Macross Dynamite 7
Macross Zero
Macross Frontier
Macross Frontier Movie: The False Songstress
Macross Frontier Movie: The Wings of Goodbye
Macross FB7 Galaxy Flow Soul: Listen to My Song!
Macross Delta
Macross Delta Movie: Passionate Walküre

Kaguya-Sama: Love is War episode 12 [End] - This was a big favourite this season purely just for seeing these two helpless idiots and their shenanigans. The over the top animation reminiscent of Studio Shaft was an unexpected surprise and added to the humour with great effect. This series also provides a good contender for OP of the season. Overall a well executed romantic comedy with great over the top comedy, superb animation and a fun cast. Looking forward to a potential season 2. 9/10

(I really am getting generous with scores lately lol)

Kaguya-Sama: Love is War episode 12 (complete)
Endro! episode 12 (complete)
The Saga of Tanya The Evil episode 12 (complete)
Sword Art Online: Alicization episode 1 (made a start seeing as there's nothing on for a while now)

Back