Your viewing journal

D2riFdeWkAAyV5O

Boogiepop and Others (Japanese audio) - Episodes 10-13 [Arc 3: Boogiepop at Dawn]
Dororo (Japanese audio) - Episode 12
Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka (Japanese audio) - Episodes 7-9
The Rising of the Shield Hero (Japanese audio) - Episode 12

Playing catch-up on the simulcasts of the Winter season. Here's my backlog thus far:

Autumn 2018:
Goblin Slayer - 12 of 12 Completed
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind - 23 of 39 up-to-date
Senran Kagura Shinovi Master - 2 of 12
Sword Art Online: Alicization (Season 1) - 23 of 24 up-to-date
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime - 16 of 24
ZOMBIE LAND SAGA - 3 of 12

Winter 2018:
Boogiepop & Others - 13 of 18
Domestic Girlfriend - 8 of 12
Dororo - 12 of 24 up-to-date
Kaguya-sama: Love is War - 2 of 12
Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka - 9 of 12
Mob Psycho 100 II - 12 of 13 up-to-date
The Promised Neverland - 11 of 12 up-to-date
The Quintessential Quintuplets - 11 of 12 up-to-date
The Rising of the Shield Hero - 12 of 25 up-to-date

How Clumsy You Are, Miss Ueno ep 12 (complete)
Anti spying hardware and taste sensations.
Closest comparison is with Takagi-san from last year, but Takagi is a much better character. She knew what she wanted, but was subtle about and wasn't afraid when it worked. Ueno is too loud, goes straight for a more lewd outcome (which was a bit awkward sometimes), but when it went her way just couldn't hack it which got very repetitive. So therefore I have to score it less.
6/10

The Magnificent KOTOBUKI ep 11
Lots of action. Maybe too much as it was hard to tell who was who sometimes.

Kemono Friends s2 e11
Everybody comes together to fight the threat.

Mob Psycho 100 ep 12
The meaning of true friendship.

My Roommate is a Cat episode 12 (Complete. Another SoL that deals with mature themes but this time also has an adorable relationship between a tsundere cat and its owner? I was sold from the first few episodes and this was very good fun.) 4/5

The Rising of the Shield Hero episode 12 A cowardly king versus a salty shield.

City Hunter (Film) This film is goofy and ridiculous and revels in a comedic tone that’s consistent throughout, showcasing some great slapstick and action alongside Jackie Chan on top zany form. The only real oddity was a song and dance number partway through the film that ran for ages and didn’t even have subtitles. 4/5

Thief (Film) Michael Mann’s impressive directorial debut, this was a great thriller with a superb Score from Tangerine Dream and the likes of James Caan and James Belushi being on top form. The ending was great too. 4/5

Guy: Double Target (1988 & 1992)

Not sure I would have revisited this, if I weren't sizing it up for my Anime Nasties series, but it's still a passable enough OVA if you're not put off by extreme content. The main thing I take away from it is that Reina gets all the best lines and, honestly, deserves to be in a better show.

Neon Genesis Evangelion ep17-18

Find myself wondering if ep18 might be the last one where the show still manages to crack a joke. One of the biggest things I took away from Eva on seeing it through originally is how hard a shift in tone it goes through in its second half.

Samurai Champloo ep6-7

Liked 6, but 7 felt a little predictable. I'm going to hazard a guess that a lot of tropes from the western genre and the samurai genre are interchangeable, although I wouldn't put it past this series to be aware of that and actively riff on it.

A Certain Magical Index (English Dub) Episode 22

Ikki Tousen: Western Wolves OVA Episode 3 (Complete)
These were a decent bunch of OVA's that had plenty of action with some pretty good fights to go along side the expected fanservice from this show. It was also nice to see the side character's get their chance to shine in the spotlight. 3.5/5

Kemurikusa Episode 12 (Complete)
A post-apocalyptic style series that has got an interesting story plot. Despite the show being all CGI, the CGI actually works well in this case with the art and animation style. The show has some decent battles along the way. 3/5

Meiji Tokyo Renka Episode 12 (Complete)
An intriguing time-travel series that has a nice atmosphere and a decent dose of romance and amnesia. IMO this isn’t a show that once you know the entire setup will make you want to go back and rewatch it again. 2.5/5

My Roommate is a Cat Episode 12 (Complete)
Another pretty decent SoL series that has some pretty mature themes that I felt are handled quite well, and in this case, the MC's S.A.D that causes him to hardly ever leave his home, and the new found support he has with his new friends through different memes. Overall this was a pretty relaxing series. 3.5/5

Virtual-san Looking Episode 12 (Complete)
This was a rather bland show that was certainly different from the norm, but at least it tried to be different which you can at leat give it credit for trying to do. Overall it was OK but nothing to special. 2/5

Witch Craft Works (rewatch) Episode 8—12 + OVA (Complete)

Shield Hero ep 12
Plot continues to develop with hints of more at work. The battle with Glass displays the overwhelming power difference. Everything proceeding smoothly. I run out of things to say about shows when I know the source material...

Kemurikusa ep 12
Well, this ep did somewhat highlight the weaknesses of the animation. I dunno, this episode wrapped everything up neatly, but I did feel somewhat... unsatisfied with it. Hard to pinpoint why. Maybe because I feel like a lot more could have been done with the setting? Or maybe because even though I don't mind a happy ending, there were a few moments where I felt the group should have taken a bit more of a hit considering what they were up against.
Overall the series gets a 7/10. Individually, some episodes were outstanding, but there were some that were comparatively weak which brings it down a bit. Definitely a very good show but not one that's likely to stick in the memory in the end.

It seems very much like their wheelhouse, yeah. I'll not spoil anything, but I thought it was interesting how much the second episode seems to tone things down - makes me wonder if the first was popular enough that they decided to court a more mainstream audience.

2019-03-28_97.png

Domestic Girlfriend (Japanese audio) - Episodes 9-11
The Promised Neverland (Japanese audio) - Episode 12 (Complete)
The Quintessential Quintuplets (Japanese audio) - Episode 12 (Complete)
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (Japanese audio) - Episodes 17-19

Playing catch-up on the simulcasts of the Winter season. Here's my backlog thus far:

Autumn 2018:
Goblin Slayer - 12 of 12 Completed
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind - 23 of 39 up-to-date
Senran Kagura Shinovi Master - 2 of 12
Sword Art Online: Alicization (Season 1) - 23 of 24 up-to-date
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime - 19 of 24
ZOMBIE LAND SAGA - 3 of 12

Winter 2018:
Boogiepop & Others - 13 of 18
Domestic Girlfriend - 11 of 12 up-to-date
Dororo - 12 of 24 up-to-date
Kaguya-sama: Love is War - 2 of 12
Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka - 9 of 12
Mob Psycho 100 II - 12 of 13 up-to-date
The Promised Neverland - 12 of 12 Completed

The Quintessential Quintuplets - 12 of 12 Completed
The Rising of the Shield Hero - 12 of 25 up-to-date

Last edited:
Girly Air Force ep 12
Pretty good final episode. Not anything exactly unexpected, but good nevertheless.
Overall this gets a 5/10 from me. It's basically just a fairly generic LN adaptation, but it's solid and avoids a lot of the major problems that tend to come with that while having some decent ideas of it's own. Worth the streaming watch, but I definitely won't be going back to it.

The Quintessential Quintuplets ep 12
A pleasure to watch, really. Nothing outrageous or hugely special, but comfortable, enjoyable and the good art and animation make it more than worth it. Good characters, a story that has enough to make it somewhat unique...
Overall it gets a 7/10 from me. Maybe a 7.5. Knowing what was going to happen from the manga was actually a bonus for this one, I think. I just hope it gets a second season because more Nino of these girls would be lovely!
Screen Shot 03-28-19 at 10.11 PM.PNG

The Quintessential Quintuplets ep 12 [END]

7/10 for now, might go up to 8 in a rewatch. Really like it, S2 when.

BanG Dream! S2 ep 12 [END]

Aside from the Tae arc which I didn't like, it was pretty good. I survived a CG anime! that's saying a lot... 6/10

The Promised Neverland ep 12 [END]

Let's just say I wasn't a fan of this one, first ep was the high point. 3/10

Last edited:
Girly Air Force episode 12 A bit of a non-end for the series really. (Complete. A decent endeavour that sadly couldn’t quite reach greater heights despite some interesting concepts. This was fine overall.) 3/5

The Promised Neverland episode 12 Where will the story go from here? (Complete. A tense slow-burner of a series that, whilst a fun watch each week did feel a little slow and methodic at times in regards to the pacing. That being said it was very good, and I’m tempted to continue via the manga or wait for the upcoming second season.) 4/5

Steins;Gate: The Movie- Load Region of Dèjá Vu (Film) A film that revolves around Okabe and Kurisu’s relationship, whilst exploring what ifs with some of the world lines. It’s a good film though I didn’t care for the ending with Okabe’s childhood as it gave me Clara Oswald-style retconning vibes. This film is solid but offers little overall to the series.) 3.5/5

Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar episodes 1-4

Last edited:
The Quintessential Quintuplets episode 12 [End] - Really enjoyed this one. For a harem series it's played pretty straight and the characters are all really likable. Looking forward to a possible season 2. 8/10

BanG Dream Season 2 episode 13 [End] - This is in the running for seasonal favourite tbh. Despite CG anime having a bad reputation I'd say this is definitely up there with Land of the Lustrous as one of the better looking series and this also gives it the benefit of not having to change animation styles for performance scenes as seen in series such as Love Live and BanG Dream Season 1. This series is a massive improvement over season 1 in story and direction with decent focus given to side characters and occasional humour reminiscent of the Garupa PICO short series. The new characters from Raise a Suilen were good fun for what little screen time they had and I look forward to seeing them again in Season 3. 9/10

The Quintessential Quintuplets (English Dub) Episode 9

The Rising of the Shield Hero (English Dub) Episode 12
A sorry excuse of a King vs a crusty shield hero.

Circlet Princess Episode 9
Retrieving a sulking runaway.

Dimension High School Episode 12 (Complete)
A unique puzzle solving series that blends the real world with 3D animation. The show does have an interesting story and some really challenging puzzles. 2.5/5

Fight League: Gear Gadget Generators Episode 7
Revenge never tasted so sweet.

Girly Air Force Episode 12 (Complete)
This was a pretty decent military/sci-fi series with its high speed octane aerial fights and story line, but I also found the relationship between the MC and Gripen to be an intriguing one. I also really liked how this doesn't just focus on the fighting, but also on the characters and their relationships with each other. 3/5

Kakegurui×× Episode 12 (Complete)
A very good second season that had pretty much everything I expected it would and more. I really liked how this 2nd season took the gambling to the absolute extreme. 3.5/5

My Sister、My Writer OVA 2 (Uncensored)

The Promised Neverland Episode 12 (Complete)
A dystopian anime series about a group of children who must escape from their orphanage no matter what in order to stay alive. This is a well executed series but definitely not for the faint hearted. This has been one of the better anime's of the past few years, and definitely not one to pass up. 4/5

The Quintessential Quintuplets Episode 12 (Complete)
A pretty standard but comfortable romantic comedy with a decent story behind it. The characters are likeable, the art and animation is good which made the a pleasing watch. All in all, it was generally a well-balanced and fun series. 3.5/5

Mobile Fighter G Gundam - Episodes 4 & 5 (Blu-ray)

These early episodes, while slightly formulaic in structure, set the scene and drop clues in really well.

WATATEN: An Angel Flew Down to Me ep 12 (complete)
A great final episode. The play/musical would work on it's own as a one off short. Hana's entrance gave me major Anthem of the Heart vibes (this shows manga started a year after it was released, so maybe it was an influence). The ending shows that Miyako has grown a little bit.
Overall it had its weird moments, but I think the sweeter ones just about made up for it. The art and animation were very good and the OP/ED are both excellent.
7/10

Ekoda-chan ep 12 (complete)
Just a standard day at home for Ekoda-chan. I realised when re-watching the series that the stuff on the TV she was watching had appeared in a previous episode.
An interesting experimental series of shorts by different directors. Most were pretty good, with the odd one or two not that great including the first one which might have turned people off if they didn't realise how the series worked. My favourites were episodes 2, 8, 9 and 11.
6/10

Dororo ep 12
Spells out what I've been thinking for a while, that Hyakkimaru is unwittingly the bad guy! Obviously what his father did was wrong, but it brought about peace and prosperity to his land, but Hyakkimaru is undoing that with his actions.

Karakuri Circus ep 23
The fight to keep the ZONAPHA cure away from the automata continues.

Last edited:
Back