Your viewing journal

Free! - Dive to the Future - eps 10-12
Right good stuff: art and animation obviously and some nice character moments such as Makotos arc.

Now the stuff I didn’t like: the first arc was a) a rehash of the first season and b) quite stupid with the way they didn't solve the problem by just ignoring the character acting as a block and then the way it wrapped up with hey we raced together and now everyone is friends!
The second arc was mostly tournament stuff, which is also a bit repetitive of the previous seasons (although as a sports show I guess you can't avoid that)
Waaaaaaaay too many characters with loads in different locations which lead to a disjointed feeling. Also so many coincidences here's a new character "oh, your related to X", here's another one "oh, you once lived in Iwatobi and we just happened to be swimming at the same pool at the same time once!"
The final kick in the nuts "oh, you want to know what happened in Harus race? You'll have to wait till 2020! Haha!"
6/10

Oh the films make it make so much more sense. FUNi really really screwed up by not releasing them to Oct and not streaming
Yeah, had a look through MAL for the synopsis'. The middle school relay team that was the focus of the first arc seem to be the main focus of the movie that is a prequel to the first season and also appears in 3 others including the prequel to this season. The first arc would still be a bit repetitive of the first season where 3 members of Hurus elementary school team meet the 4th member who's all pissy because reasons only to reconcile, just with the middle school team instead!

A Certain Magical Index III episode 3 Going green isn’t always wise

Angels of Death episode 15 Psythe-Kun no!!! Also damn that confrontation was intense.

Hinomaru Sumo episode 3 The MC’s “protagonist that stands out” hairstyle always gets me each week. Unfortunately the story seems to be taking an anime only path so I’m unsure whether to persist or just drop this and read the manga.

IRODUKU: The World in Colours episode 3 Interested to see where this story goes.

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure Part 5: Golden Wind episode 3 Keep that flame burning as you wake up feeling so horny.

Ms. Vampire who lives in my Neighbourhood episode 3 More cute vampire SoL.

Muhyo & Roji’s Bureau of Supernatural Investigations episode 12 (Complete. This was a decent little series that has potential if they adapt more of it. There’s plenty of manga to cover so hopefully it gets a second season, as teased at the end.) 3.5/5

31 Days of Halloween Day #19: The Slayer (1982, J.S. Cardone) A very average slasher with a quaint setting. Not much to say really. 2.5/5

Orphen episodes 22-24 (Complete. A decent fantasy anime with some cool story ideas and characters. It’s nothing amazing but is entertaining nonetheless.) 3.5/5

Zombie Land Saga episode 3 - It's no stand-out episode but it's still great fun. At this point I'm thinking that the Producer was written just for Mamoru Miyano. He fits the role so well.

Also pretty unusual how they revealed Densetsu no Yamada Tae's VA in this episode.
Screenshot_20181011-215639_Crunchyroll.jpg
Screenshot_20181019-223833_Crunchyroll.jpg
Was hoping they'd keep her VA a secret for longer but they really weren't joking when they called her legendary considering she's voiced by Kotono Mitsuishi.

BanG Dream! Girls Band Party!☆PICO Episode 16 - Why is every episode filled with such chaotic energy???

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl episode 3 - This really has been a solid series so far. Hopefully the next story arcs can keep this up.

Last edited:
A Certain Magical Index III (Sub) Episode 3
Looks like things are about to get serious.

Bloom Into You (Sub) Episode 3

Boarding School Juliet (Sub) Episode 3
That's what you call a really sadistic princess, poor Inazuka.

IRODUKU: The World in Colors (Sub) Episode 3
Another visually beautiful episode. It will be interesting to see where the rest of the story goes. Tsukishiro really needs to tells the others of her situation otherwise she will never make any progress by herself or with the club.

Ms. Vampire Who Lives in My Neighbourhood (Sub) Episode 3
This series is just to adorable. I really liked how accepting Sakuya and Yuu were of Sophie being a vampire and that they didn't get scared of her or question her.

Senran Kagura Shinovi Master -Tokyo Youma Chapter- (Sub) Episode 2 (Uncensored)
OMG, the fanservice this episode was insane.

UzaMaid! (Sub) Episode 3
Did I hear police sirens in the background this episode, because that maids creepiness levels are getting out of control, she needs stopping pronto.

Steins;Gate 0 eps 20–23 (complete)
I just couldn't quite get into this series, despite being a fan of the initial anime series. Just too many farfetched happenings (outside of the time travel, I mean!) and a convoluted plot with an over-reliance on coincidence put me off before the finish.

The drama never really stuck for me, because any earth-shattering events could be easily undone. I know these events deeply affected Okabe himself, and that that's the whole point of the story, but there was just that sense of inevitably that the story was always going loop right back to where the original series ended. Oh, well.

Crunchyroll viewing continues with Kiss Him, Not Me eps 6+7 and Kiznaiver ep 4.

Food Wars eps 1–7
This I'm really enjoying. It's a very high-quality series that's getting a lot of things right.

Scotland Loves Anime screenings:
Walking Meat
This was an unexpected bonus short shown before Gundam Thunderbolt. An enjoyable action comedy with zombies.

Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt movie 1: December Sky
This was the first Gundam I've ever actually watched. Anime expert Jonathan Clements, who introduced the film, suggested it's something you could jump right into as a newcomer, but I couldn't say I agree with that.

Knowing as little about Gundam as I do, I didn't realise until someone else mentioned it the following day that this is a highlights film. That explains a lot, as it suffers from the typically rushed pacing and lack of coherent characterisation.

The soundtrack was very interesting. I appreciate what the intention was, but I found it kinda jarring, especially with it being cranked up too loud for my hearing at Glasgow Film Theatre.

The animation was excellent, though. Out of curiosity, is this the first time in the franchise that a Gundam pilot has been portrayed as the villain of the piece?

Then onto the day's main event...
Cyber City OEDO 808
Now this was entertainment! Best shown late in the day in the company of a knowledgeable and enthusiastic audience. Manga Entertainment's classic sweary dub brought the house down at points. Particularly this point:

Penguin Highway
Fellow festival-goer @Professor Irony already summed this up perfectly in a recent post. I very much enjoyed this film, despite it falling short of really managing to bring things full circle come the end.

I Want to Eat Your Pancreas
There are so many things I could say about this film, but I really wouldn't know where to even begin. A girl walking ahead of me on the way out of the cinema probably summed it up in the most concise way you could hope to. The audience were invited to give the film a score as they left; she suggested it deserved "Ten out of five."

Really classy stuff, and instantly one of the very best anime films I have ever seen.

Ms. Vampire... ep 3
Totally tubular! Apparently that's from "ancient times"! *feels old* 😞

Hinamaru Sumo ep 3
Training bouts.

Bloom into You ep 3
Meeting the parents, sort of. Wonder if the dads line was used just for a comedy moment or something that he'll stick to.
Beautiful scene between the MCs just before their speeches.

Release the Spyce ep 3
Momos first week on the job doesn't go too well.

Goblin Slayer episode 3 A nice little episode that develops some new characters (though I wonder how long they’ll last.)

Radiant episode 3 A fairly generic backstory for the MC. The series in general feels like it’s retreading tired ground but I’ll give it a chance to display its more unique traits.

SSSS.Gridman episode 3 Akane is getting a bit grating, otherwise a decent episode. This has passed the three episode rule for now.

31 Days of Halloween Day #20: Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992, Francis Ford Coppola) A truly visually stunning film with some suitably hammy acting and creative visual prowess. It feels like an ode to the older Dracula films whilst utilising a more modern style of filmmaking and taking advantage of great sets and mostly great actors (Reeves and Ryder are wooden enough to be staked through a vampires’ heart.) 4/5

Persona 3 Movie #1: Spring of Birth (Film), Persona 3 Movie #2: Midsummer Knight’s Dream (Film), Persona 3 Movie #3: Falling Down (Film), Persona 3 Movie #4: Winter of Rebirth (Film) (Watched these back to back)
These act as a solid way to experience the story of Persona 3 without wading through 100 odd hours of repetitive gameplay (especially the grinding/levelling which is absolute ass).

As is the norm with these adaptations they couldn’t fit all of the S. Links in there so the game is still worth playing for those (they did adapt one of the best parts with the Elizabeth date though.) All of the films were decent overall though I’d say the fourth was my personal favourite as it sold the most emotional parts of the plot fairly well. Shame they never dubbed them though, I grew attached to the English VAs. 3.5/5, 3.5/5, 3.5/5, 4/5

Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars episodes 1-7

Last edited:
Goblin Slayer (Sub) Episode 3
A rather somewhat chill episode this week considering what's happened so far. New characters get some development (but I do wonder how long they're going to last.)

Radiant (Sub) Episode 3
Trying to prove that not all magicians are bad. Flashbacks of Seth's and Alma's past.

Release the Spyce (Sub) Episode 3
Momo first lot of missions out in the field don't quite go according to plan.

SSSS.Gridman (Sub) Episode 3
Pretty good episode. Seriously how is this not taking the p*ss out of Power Rangers with all these extra weapons. Another impressive fight.

Sword Art Online Alicization (Sub) Episode 3
A really good episode. I'm definitely liking the pacing of this arc better than the previous ones.

At Scotland Loves Anime Edinburgh:

Blame!

Really enjoyed the film and it was followed by a fascinating Q&A with the producer afterwards.

Penguin Highway

Great character development but I wasn't really that taken with the story.

My Hero Academia - Two Heroes

My first foray into MHA as it was Lewis who really wanted to see it, but I had good fun with it so will definitely delve into the TV series at some point.

Cyber City Oedo 808

Something I've watched loads of times but haven't seen it in a good 6 or 7 years. I haven't heard the Manga dub in 20 years and today it's hilarious but despite that Cyber City's action and thrills have aged very well.

Angels of Death ONA e3 (15)
An thrilling escape attempt.

Goblin Slayer ep 3
The gang from the OP are together. The new members appear to be a lively bunch.

SAO: Alicization ep 3
So basically the last 2 episodes have re-trode most of the first part of episode 1 with only the odd difference and made longer by lots of exposition 😴
That ending might mean some action soon though (they need to call the Goblin Slayer
!)

Boarding School Juliet ep 3
A love rival appears.

IRODUKU: The World in Colors ep 3
Still beautiful although there was one scene that seemed a bit... different. Hitomi is starting to find her feet with her new surroundings.

Back