Your viewing journal

Dan said:
Mr Vile said:
Dan said:
Dragon Ball: Tien Shinhan Saga. Fantastic, the show keeps getting better and better. King Piccollo Saga next 8)

Once I have my flat to myself again I think I may have a Dragonball marathon. I've only fully seen the entire show through once, last year when I picked up the import dvds. Having been a huge DBZ fan since it first aired on UK telly back in 2000 I found Dragonball quite.. different. It's much more fantasy and comedy based than I was expecting. But that's good. I can sorta see that DB:GT was going for a similar tone during the Black Star Dragonball's arc, but then they got freaked out by the DBZ fandumb and we got lolSSJ4 hijinks.

That said, I do still really like GT. It has some pretty badass Vegeta/Bulma stuff. My second anime OTP.

Yeah Dragon Ball is very different, took me a while to get used to it but I think it's starting to get more like DBZ anyway. Tbh though I haven't seen the original DBZ, I've only seen the Kai version. So can't wait to watch the original version, then I'll check GT out.

I found the first season of Dragon Ball to be a bit of a slog, but it picked up a bit in the 2nd season and only got better from there. The Tien/World Tournament Saga is one of my all time favourite (maybe 2nd favourite) arcs in the whole Dragon Ball franchise and the fight between Goku and Tien is the best fight of the franchise. It ends so perfectly
Goku doesn't win! Hooray!
, even if they do retcon the result in DBZ. King Piccolo wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be...but Piccolo Jnr. (AKA the Piccolo we all know and love), now there's an epic!

GT started out okay I thought, going back to Dragon Ball roots of an adventure story and relying more on comedy (the robot planet episode was great!). Then it just loses itself completely and becomes a total mess and for me became almost unbearable to watch, I really struggled to get through it.

animefreak17 said:
prepare for a big disappointment for GT

The Bulma and Vegeta team-up from HELL keeps me watching GT. Though I admit it's not brilliant I do still harbour a fondness for it. But yeah, go in with lowered expectations after the previous two series of awesome. And SSJ4 is kind of badass, gives you an instant "I WIN" button in all the spin-off videogames though...

20thCenturyBoy said:
I found the first season of Dragon Ball to be a bit of a slog, but it picked up a bit in the 2nd season and only got better from there. The Tien/World Tournament Saga is one of my all time favourite (maybe 2nd favourite) arcs in the whole Dragon Ball franchise and the fight between Goku and Tien is the best fight of the franchise. It ends so perfectly
Goku doesn't win! Hooray!
, even if they do retcon the result in DBZ. King Piccolo wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be...but Piccolo Jnr. (AKA the Piccolo we all know and love), now there's an epic!

Yeah season 1 was tough going, the Emporer Pilaf Saga has been my least favourite so far. But agree about World Tournament and Tien sagas, very entertaining, I loved the fight between Goku and Krillin aswell. Can't wait for Piccolo Jr. Definitely one of my favourite characters along with Vegeta, I must like angry, obnoctious characters :lol:

theres a lot of things wrong with gt e.g.

where the hell does ssj4 clothes come from
why doesn't gohan go mistic
the only villain that doesn't suck is baby aside from his name
pan sucks
theres loads of things wrong with it

animefreak17 said:
theres a lot of things wrong with gt e.g.

where the hell does ssj4 clothes come from
why doesn't gohan go mistic
the only villain that doesn't suck is baby aside from his name
pan sucks
theres loads of things wrong with it

Actually I thought Pan was one of the better things about GT. DBZ was severely lacking in female characters and I thought she was rather sweet.

Yah know, I'm kind of thinking of having a GT marathon starting later today now. :D

Dan said:
Can't wait for Piccolo Jr. Definitely one of my favourite characters along with Vegeta, I must like angry, obnoctious characters :lol:

I think you mean badass, awesomely manly and honourable characters :) . Seriously, my list of favourite Dragon Ball franchise characters goes: Piccolo, Vegeta, Tien.

Mr Vile said:
Actually I thought Pan was one of the better things about GT. DBZ was severely lacking in female characters and I thought she was rather sweet.

Agreed. I thought Pan could've been that for GT, but she was just far too whiny and annoying. She was like how Gohan started out but didn't get the natural character evolution like Gohan did.

Fair enough. Although I was sad that we never got to see if she could go Super Saiyan. The thing that bugged me about GT was that stupid comedy robot. Now THAT was very poor.

Shows I've been keeping up to date with:
Hunter x Hunter has been excellent the story and characters are so enjoyable not to mention the animation level has been really high throughout, someone needs to license this.
Chihayafuru 2 has continued the greatness of the first season, I pray that NIS pick this up as they would probably be the only company to give it blu ray (siren is dvd in australia) treatment not to mention the premium sets would be beautiful.
The recent one piece episodes have been exciting especially with a certain shichibukai being awesome.
Magi, gosick (episode 1-8) and sasami@gambaranai have been enjoyable so far
Detective Inaba is a show I'm happy I streamed as it has funny moments but if I had bought it I would be disappointed.
Oreshura has been enjoyable enough nothing special but it gets pass marks.
Vividred operation is terrible so boring.
Amnesia is pish.
If it wasn't for the completionist in me these last two would have been dropped.

Orgun said:
Mobile Suit Gundam - Episode 7

Doraemon666 said:
Vampire Princess Miyu ova,s 1-4

A long time favourite of mine and interesting to see Hirano do something other than mecha.
Yeah very true considering when you look at his cv Miyu does stand out from all the mecha stuff he has worked on but he also directed Devil Lady and Angel Heart and a few other things but as you said his cv is about 99% mecha and 1% non mecha lol.It,s been a long time since i,ve watched this classic and it still holds up pretty well especially the third and fourth ova,s which tells you the background stroy of Miyu and Larva those episodes are awesome but all four episodes are very good,i love the ova,s and even the tv series but i always thought a Miyu movie would have been fantastic.

Psycho Pass - Episode 22 [Final]

I thought it came to a pretty decent conclusion and left things open for a sequel, not a masterpiece but an enjoyable show nonetheless.

Mobile Suit Gundam - Episodes 8 - 10

It's been a few years since I last watched MSG and I had kinda forgotten just how good it is.

Doraemon666 said:

It,s been a long time since i,ve watched this classic and it still holds up pretty well especially the third and fourth ova,s which tells you the background stroy of Miyu and Larva those episodes are awesome but all four episodes are very good.

I watched VPM again last year and I agree, it does still hold up well and those last two episodes are awesome. I've never seen the TV series but I'm going to pick up MVM re-release this year and finally get round to seeing it.

Orgun said:
Psycho Pass - Episode 22 [Final]

I thought it came to a pretty decent conclusion and left things open for a sequel, not a masterpiece but an enjoyable show nonetheless.

Mobile Suit Gundam - Episodes 8 - 10

It's been a few years since I last watched MSG and I had kinda forgotten just how good it is.

Doraemon666 said:

It,s been a long time since i,ve watched this classic and it still holds up pretty well especially the third and fourth ova,s which tells you the background stroy of Miyu and Larva those episodes are awesome but all four episodes are very good.

I watched VPM again last year and I agree, it does still hold up well and those last two episodes are awesome. I've never seen the TV series but I'm going to pick up MVM re-release this year and finally get round to seeing it.
yeah i saw the tv series ages ago cant really remember that much about it but i,ll be picking up the MVM release as you said,i was tempted to buy the region 1 release that has just been released by Maiden Japan but with the UK release just around the corner might as well hold off for that and its always good to support the UK companies when i can.

Back