Your viewing journal

fabricatedlunatic said:

City Hunter 1

This show jumps the shark half-way through the first episode, which must be some kind of record.

If you did not like this episode for these reasons, then it's better to drop the series. All the other episodes are more of the same, sometimes being even more excessive than the scene you wrote in the spoiler.

Teo

Actually, I'd argue that first five episodes of City Hunter were largely crap and the show doesn't hit its stride until the dynamic between Ryo and Kaori is properly established.

Nevertheless, there is some pretty ridiculous stuff in the show when it comes to gunplay (there is more than one OP that shows Ryo shooting down a helicopter with nought but his .357) and if that scene really turns you off, you might find the series a struggle. It's an inherently silly show, but I'd say it works on much the same level as the A-Team.

Idolm@ster eps 24-25

I will finish this event....Oh!

For a minute there I actually thought they were going to bump off producer-san which would have been...overly dramatic to say the least. Still, that was one mighty big hole for him to be messed up that badly. I didn't feel that the live was as good as the one in episode 13, but it was still something special. Putting Ready and Change together was pretty good. I did get a bit teary in ep 24 though. I do love a nice bit of melodrama like that...

Not quite sure what I'd say is my fave episode. Probably between 13, 17 or 20.

Jormungand eps 1 and 2

I quite like the manga and am enjoying this adaptation! Her name is Koko, She is Loco, I said Oh No.

Last edited by a moderator:
MercenaryRaiden said:
For a minute there I actually thought they were going to bump off producer-san
Hahahahaha, as insane as this would have been, I would have given them unlimited +rep for going through with it.

Jormungand eps 1 and 2

I quite like the manga and am enjoying this adaptation! Her name is Koko, She is Loco, I said Oh No.
Indeed! Except the only thing I can say to the show is "Oh Yes!".

Kore wa Zombie desu ka? OF THE DEAD e.3 - A bit of a let down after an excellent first couple of episodes, I thought. That said, the payoff for essentially a one-gag episode was pretty good.

Mine Anime Called Fujiko e.3 - This show continues to ooze effortless cool, from the OP to the eyecatch to most other things. A relatively high-concept episode, I guess you could say, and it worked well. Long train journeys on old trains and hot home tutors are definitely awesome.

Did someone licence it yet? Urge to import... rising...

teonzo said:
If you did not like this episode for these reasons, then it's better to drop the series. All the other episodes are more of the same, sometimes being even more excessive than the scene you wrote in the spoiler.
That what I feared. City Hunter doesn't strike me as the type of show that will radically change. It is what it is.

Professor Irony said:
Nevertheless, there is some pretty ridiculous stuff in the show when it comes to gunplay (there is more than one OP that shows Ryo shooting down a helicopter with nought but his .357) and if that scene really turns you off, you might find the series a struggle. It's an inherently silly show, but I'd say it works on much the same level as the A-Team.
I'm fine with implausibility for the sake of entertainment, so the chopper shooting wouldn't have bothered me so much, but the scene I talked about? It just flipped a switch for me. Forget what's possible for a moment: who in the world would do that for a stranger? When he could have shot the guy in the foot instead?

I suppose we all have our own suspension of disbelief threshold that varies depending on context. For some people it's pole-dancing mecha pilots. For me, it's... that :p

fabricatedlunatic said:
That what I feared. City Hunter doesn't strike me as the type of show that will radically change. It is what it is.

Plus there is the problem that it's a loooong series. Each episode has almost the identical structure: Ryo saves the beauty of the week with his cool impossible skills. If you can laugh at those excessive scenes then its a fun series (except the last season, in my opinion they jumped the shark there), otherwise better keep far.

fabricatedlunatic said:
For some people it's pole-dancing mecha pilots.

Uh, I missed this! Where?

Teo

Last night I watched Polar Bear Café 1.

I can't help but hate Panda. Although both Polar Bear and Penguin are badass - I mean, when Polar Bear says you should work on a tuna fishing boat, you better fecking work on a tuna fishing boat.

EDIT:
Lupin III: 'Dat Fujiko

It's official: Goemon eating ice cream makes children cry.
Also, I might want to go to "Poris".

Another fantastic episode.

fabricatedlunatic said:
I'm fine with implausibility for the sake of entertainment, so the chopper shooting wouldn't have bothered me so much, but the scene I talked about? It just flipped a switch for me.

Yeah, I wouldn't leap to the defence of that one. Even for the bad episodes, ep1's a particular stinker and I can only imagine it was hastily shoved in as a demonstration of Ryo's determination to avoid unnecessary killing.

Ep2 (the manga's original opening chapter), by contrast, is about the only story I can think of in which Ryo effectively kills a man in cold blood.

One of these days, I'll make a video about City Hunter, but, as Teo said, it's a long show. I was always holding off in hope of acquiring some of the later box sets first.

ilmaestro said:
Mine Anime Called Fujiko e.3 - This show continues to ooze effortless cool, from the OP to the eyecatch to most other things. A relatively high-concept episode, I guess you could say, and it worked well. Long train journeys on old trains and hot home tutors are definitely awesome.

Did someone licence it yet? Urge to import... rising...

Funimation have the license, so unless you want to wait for a release in the far distant future, you can decide.

Speaking of which, as a total Lupin III newbie, i'm really enjoying this series as well.

Funi... mation... ;_; I shall meditate on this further.

Joshawott said:
I very nearly said the same thing. :lol:

--

Surprised Fabby didn't like City Hunter, would have thought he would be all over it!

ilmaestro said:
Funi... mation... ;_; I shall meditate on this further.

Joshawott said:
I very nearly said the same thing. :lol:
The Engrish on that map was hilarious. When FUNimaton get around to dubbing the series, I hope they fix that xD

And yeah, FUNi take their sweet time sometimes. *Is surprised I haven't succumb to the urge to watch the Shana movie online yet*.

I really hope they don't fix it at all, lol. :p

And yeah, Funi... what is their average time for sitting on something? A quick google says they announced the following nearly two years ago at AX:

Darker than BLACK - Ryuusei no Gemini
Shakugan no Shana II
Shakugan no Shana Movie
Shakugan no Shana S
Toaru Majutsu no Index
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun
Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail
Hellsing Ultimate vol.5 - 7
Trigun: Badlands Rumble

Have they got release dates for any of those?

edit: OK, so I own Darker Than Black and know that Trigun is out.

Back