Your viewing journal

Professor Irony said:
GolGotha said:
Ranma 1/2 Season One
Episodes 10 - 14

How are you getting on with that, as a matter of curiosity? It strikes me as odd that, for a show that used to be so huge, I honestly haven't heard anyone even mention Ranma in years...

It's a rewatch for me, although I first watched them when it was out in Japan so my memory is a little vague, it's just as good as I remembered it.

It's still talked about, in fact it's been mentioned on the walls of Manga/MVM/Anime Limited regarding a release. Would love to own a re mastered version of it.

Have you ever seen it? If so did you enjoy it?

GolGotha said:
Ranma 1/2 Season One

I've seen the movies and OVA's but never any of the TV series, which I have been meaning to watch for years and do actually plan to start watching in the next few months.

I agree, it's still mentioned, but I feel it is more fondly remembered and sought after by 'older' fans rather than people who have got into anime in the last 5 - 10 years.

Dan said:
Vegeta is one of my faves, constantly makes me laugh. I actually hated filler but after watching Kai and a bit if Dragon Ball I want to see it. I also bought the original DBZ for the World Tournament and Buu Sagas, can't wait.

Yeah he's great. I like him because his character actually develops and goes to interesting places. The Vegeta at the start of DBZ is both the same and in many ways quite different from the Vegeta of the end of DBZ/GT. I have an excellent T-shirt with him on in Super Saiyan mode. And a keyring of him too. I am such a geek lol.

Anyway, watched the first couple of discs of the Anime Legends release of Outlaw Star. Watch DBZ got me nostalgic for the CNX era of anime in the UK and I always had a soft spot for Outlaw Star. It's a fun slice of sci-fi hokum that's surprisingly raunchy in places. It's also interesting in that it tells one long story rather than self contained episodes. The first couple of discs cover the formation of the crew and the acquisition of the eponymous ship, while the overarching plotline about the Galactic Leyline only mentioned in passing.

GolGotha said:
It's still talked about, in fact it's been mentioned on the walls of Manga/MVM/Anime Limited regarding a release. Would love to own a re mastered version of it.

Ah, I wasn't aware any of the UK distros were circling. Shows how much attention I've been paying...

Ranma was actually one of the first franchises that seriously interested me in anime, due to some of the games magazines printing artwork from it around the time one of the beat-em-ups was being released. I quite liked what I saw of it (one of the oddest things I own is a Cantonese-dubbed PAL VHS with some early eps), but by the time it became easier to get hold of in English, I think I'd already moved on to other things. As Rumiko Takashi series go, I like it more than Inu Yasha, but I don't think it's as good as Urusei Yatsura.

Gah, sorry I meant to say "mentioned in the requests on the facebook walls..." This is why I shouldn't type on my phone whilst watching anime :(

I haven't finished InuYasha or Urusei yatsura so I can't comment, but I think Ranma would be my favourite mainly because I think it's the strangest lol! Have you ever seen Mason Ikkoku? I've always wanted to see it.

Orgun said:
I agree, it's still mentioned, but I feel it is more fondly remembered and sought after by 'older' fans rather than people who have got into anime in the last 5 - 10 years.

This is probably true...sadly :(

Viewing Journal:

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood 1 - 4

Yeah, I've seen a bit of Maison Ikkoku too - it's something I keep meaning to go back and finish. Some of its societal attitudes have visibly dated (at least by western standards), but it's an endearing series that I think still holds up well. Always nice to see a show like that which isn't about high schoolers.

Professor Irony said:
GolGotha said:
Ranma 1/2 Season One
Episodes 10 - 14

How are you getting on with that, as a matter of curiosity? It strikes me as odd that, for a show that used to be so huge, I honestly haven't heard anyone even mention Ranma in years...
It makes a lot of sense to me. More of these shows that were massively over-rated at the time due to being one of the few big shows around in Western fandom should start to fade from common conversation as time goes by.

I'm surprised you haven't seen or read all of Maison Ikkoku though! The only thing of Takahashi's I haven't read is Urusei Yatsura, and with that exception I can say that Maison Ikkoku is her best work, not close.

My friend owned them, so it was always a case of "We'll watch that someday" and I never ended up getting my own copy or watching hers....but one day I will own them.

Phantom Requiem for the Phantom episodes 1-4

The first three episodes weren't bad but my episode four my interest was starting to wonder.

Has anyone seen this series through is it worth sticking with?

Outlaw Star disc 3: Various one-off episodes as the crew do various jobs for cash. The investigations into the Galactic Ley Line continue as well as the feud with the McDougals.

Psycho Pass - Ep 21
Robotics;Notes - Ep 21
Fate/Zero - Eps 16-18

Neither Psycho Pass nor Robotics;Notes feel like they will be finishing next week. I reckon the Last episodes will most likely be kinda rushed and leave more to be desired.

Professor Irony said:
As Rumiko Takashi series go, I like it more than Inu Yasha, but I don't think it's as good as Urusei Yatsura.

My problem with both series is that they are dragged long and looong and loooooooooong. Ranma was really fun at the beginning, but after a couple dozen of episodes it really becomes boring.

ilmaestro said:
The only thing of Takahashi's I haven't read is Urusei Yatsura

Jarjasha yes, Urusei Yatsura not? This should be considered a good reason for seppuku.

Teo

What can I say, teo? I guess it was a question of availability - I had a roommate in Japan who was a big fan of Takahashi's, but he did not have UY with him in the dorms for some reason. I feel like going back to UY after all this time might be somewhat of a disappointment, and I think I would be taking my life in my hands to come back here with tales of anything less than total enjoyment if I did get around to it.

Back