Your viewing journal

Space Brothers - Episode 48

If I'm honest as much as I love the characters in Space Brothers I'm beginning to find these arcs of training episodes a little tiresome now.

Gunparade March - Episode 7

Bodacious Space Pirates episodes 11-13

I will have to think long and hard about if I will bother getting the second volume. I really hope they bring in a more interesting storyline as this last one has dragged on far too long and has been less than interesting.

Durarara vol 2. Things get crazier....

Obligatory rewatch of Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Although I have seen it umpteen times now, the last five episodes still punch me in the feels. Although my actual fave moment is from the end of episode 7, the Sayaka vs. Elsa Marie fight. The combo of the stark black, white and red visuals, the gorgeous rendition of Sayaka's theme (one of my fave bits of music ever) and the emotional impact of just how mentally screwed up Sayaka is becoming all combine to make it something special.

Mr Vile said:
Durarara vol 2. Things get crazier....

Obligatory rewatch of Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Although I have seen it umpteen times now, the last five episodes still punch me in the feels. Although my actual fave moment is from the end of episode 7, the Sayaka vs. Elsa Marie fight. The combo of the stark black, white and red visuals, the gorgeous rendition of Sayaka's theme (one of my fave bits of music ever) and the emotional impact of just how mentally screwed up Sayaka is becoming all combine to make it something special.
I teared up just being reminded of it...

Madoka feels are feels that will never go away.

MaoYuu e.1 - Having kept the totally bonkers Drama CD cast together, there was at least one level on which the show was guaranteed to deliver and it doesn't disappoint there. It suffers more than most from the original having basically irreplaceable artwork, and it's obviously going to be hard to shoehorn in all the economic side-notes that litter the book, but it's difficult to have expected anything else. I expect this will get passed over somewhat in the manner of Moshidora (which is probably a better comparison than the more obvious Spice and Wolf, but it's obvious why people want to go there), but I also think this should end up as a better anime than that did so who knows (presumably a few of you, since I'm two months behind).

Mondaiji e.1 - This feels like a very "shounen-y" shounen show, probably mainly brought on by Izayoi's characterization and the seemingly obvious potential for the setup to lead down the tournament path at some point. I do like You's character, she has a far more biting edge than I expected, and Black Rabbit is just the cutest thing, but I'm not expecting anything overly deep and meaningful. Looks fun, though.

Joshawott said:

Although Kyoko is my favourite character, Sayaka is the character I was most like at that age. Therefore the end of episode when I first watched made me so sad. And the following episodes don't give you time to recover. I was a sobbing mess by the end first time through. Gen Urobuchi, you did a great job...

robot monkey said:

I will have to think long and hard about if I will bother getting the second volume. I really hope they bring in a more interesting storyline as this last one has dragged on far too long and has been less than interesting.

I'm not sure what happend with Bodacious Space Pirates, a while back there was such a lot of hype on the forums that I almost went for the BD release, what stopped me was somewhat average reviews that I encountered on the net. I was hoping it might pick up after seeing your earlier comments on eps 1-10 but I guess not :(

Mr Vile said:
Joshawott said:

Although Kyoko is my favourite character, Sayaka is the character I was most like at that age. Therefore the end of episode when I first watched made me so sad. And the following episodes don't give you time to recover. I was a sobbing mess by the end first time through. Gen Urobuchi, you did a great job...
Sayaka is my favourite character by far. Gen Urobuchi is both a horrible, horrible person but also a bloody good writer xD

Rosencrantz said:
robot monkey said:

I'm not sure what happend with Bodacious Space Pirates, a while back there was such a lot of hype on the forums that I almost went for the BD release, what stopped me was somewhat average reviews that I encountered on the net. I was hoping it might pick up after seeing your earlier comments on eps 1-10 but I guess not :(

I saw the first 2 episodes when it first got fansubed, I thought the first was ok and the second I had an inkling it wasn't going to be anything special and haven't seen any more of it.

A few American anime podacsts I listen to were parising it (Otakugeneration LOVED it at first. No accounting for taste with them though as they review a series after watching the first 3 episodes (I only listen as its something to listen to at work on boring nights and they think they are really good when in actual fact they are that bad and ametur (after 8 years) that they are actually entertaining) saying things like it's the new Cowboy Bebop until about episode 10 or so, then it was just down hill and as some said became boring and tedious, a couple dropped it before it ended.

I do think that when companies release a series in two halfs they are giving a high chance of a loss in sales if a series is already lacking in the first half. Even more so if you wan't it on bluray and can only get it double play.

Joshawott said:
Mr Vile said:
Joshawott said:

Sayaka is my favourite character by far. Gen Urobuchi is both a horrible, horrible person but also a bloody good writer xD

Heheh, I am tempted now to check out some of Urobuchi's prior work now. Though the fact that I have read that Puella Magi has the "happiest" ending of anything he's done has made me wary lol.

I love the music in the show so much I actually downloaded it from Amazon. I think Sayaka's theme gets to be my next ringtone.

Romeo's Blue Skies episodes 1-5.This is a re-watch as the old fansubs i had were crappy vhs rips so to finally see this classic again with dvd quality makes it even better second time round,mind you,dont really need an excuse to re-watch this classic it is one of the best anime series ever.

I bought the US Madoka BDs for the soundtrack. I listen to it all the time.

Anyways:
Dream Eater Merry 7-13
I have to say, I absolutely LOVE Mistltain and the episodes with the battles against her were fantastic. I'm really conflicted with this series though, I mean it didn't even end with Merry going back to the Dream World, or even concluding the whole deal with Chaser John Doe and Pharos Heracles!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back