Your viewing journal

teonzo said:
Doraemon666 said:
Cooking Master Boy episodes 1-10.This is just lots of fun,it follows the adventures of Mao who is a top chef just like his late mother but to step into her shoes and become head chef at his late mothers restaurant he first must prove his worth,now begins his journey around China meeting new friends,learning new cooking skills and competing in various championships against other top chefs.

Damn, I really need to watch this!

Doraemon666 said:
Alps no Shōjo Heidi episodes 20-27,just over the half way point of this total classic and caught up with the fansubs,now i just have to sit back and eagerly wait for following episodes to get donee/quote]]/quote]]/quote]

This is strange, I thought that classic series like this would have been fansubbed ages ago. Did you fall in love with miss Rottenmeier?

Great choice for your new avatar!

Teoo/quote]]/quote]
Thanks Teo,yeah it is strange most of the WMT has not been fansubbed and it is just recent years it seems fansub groups are now getting round to it,but as you mentioned why it took this long for Heidi to get fansubbed it beyond me especially regarding the talent involved in making it(Hayo Miyazaki,Yoshiyuki Tomino,Toyoo Ashida,Yōichi Kotabe)and even more so that is was directed it by Isao Takahata,thought that would have been subbed years ago,i,m going to re-watch Romeo's Blue Skies soon,having only seen the old vhs quality fansubs before but its finally been done again this time dvd-rips which is very cool as it is one of my all time fave shows,just really wish one day at least some of the WMT gets released in the UK or U.S. would be great to have official domestic versions of these shows in my collection.

Doraemon666 said:
Thanks Teo,yeah it is strange most of the WMT has not been fansubbed and it is just recent years it seems fansub groups are now getting round to it,but as you mentioned why it took this long for Heidi to get fansubbed it beyond me especially regarding the talent involved in making it(Hayo Miyazaki,Yoshiyuki Tomino,Toyoo Ashida,Yōichi Kotabe)and even more so that is was directed it by Isao Takahata,thought that would have been subbed years ago,i,m going to re-watch Romeo's Blue Skies soon,having only seen the old vhs quality fansubs before but its finally been done again this time dvd-rips which is very cool as it is one of my all time fave shows,just really wish one day at least some of the WMT gets released in the UK or U.S. would be great to have official domestic versions of these shows in my collection../quote]

The biggest mistery for me is why Future Boy Conan has never been released in any English speaking market. It's simply the best anime from the 70's, better than Nausicaa and Laputa (done before, obviously), it's by Miyazaki (this would help a lot sales wise), it got a great BD remastering... I don't think the copyrights cost a fortune, so I really don't understand why the companies that are releasing old anime still haven't picked it up, if you look at anime before the 80's that should be in the top 5 whatever criteria you use.
It's nice to see some old series being rediscovered for the English speaking markets, since you did not have the luck to get them in real time (as we had in Italy or France). But I really wonder about the criteria behind some choices. Like Princess Knight, ok it's by Tezuka, but it's really far from being his best work. Most of the WMT are better than that. I don't follow the fansub scene, but I hope those groups will wake up and realize it's better to fansub a quality old series than a crappy recent one.

Teo

teonzo said:
Doraemon666 said:
Thanks Teo,yeah it is strange most of the WMT has not been fansubbed and it is just recent years it seems fansub groups are now getting round to it,but as you mentioned why it took this long for Heidi to get fansubbed it beyond me especially regarding the talent involved in making it(Hayo Miyazaki,Yoshiyuki Tomino,Toyoo Ashida,Yōichi Kotabe)and even more so that is was directed it by Isao Takahata,thought that would have been subbed years ago,i,m going to re-watch Romeo's Blue Skies soon,having only seen the old vhs quality fansubs before but its finally been done again this time dvd-rips which is very cool as it is one of my all time fave shows,just really wish one day at least some of the WMT gets released in the UK or U.S. would be great to have official domestic versions of these shows in my collection../quote]]/quote]

The biggest mistery for me is why Future Boy Conan has never been released in any English speaking market. It's simply the best anime from the 70's, better than Nausicaa and Laputa (done before, obviously), it's by Miyazaki (this would help a lot sales wise), it got a great BD remastering... I don't think the copyrights cost a fortune, so I really don't understand why the companies that are releasing old anime still haven't picked it up, if you look at anime before the 80's that should be in the top 5 whatever criteria you use.
It's nice to see some old series being rediscovered for the English speaking markets, since you did not have the luck to get them in real time (as we had in Italy or France). But I really wonder about the criteria behind some choices. Like Princess Knight, ok it's by Tezuka, but it's really far from being his best work. Most of the WMT are better than that. I don't follow the fansub scene, but I hope those groups will wake up and realize it's better to fansub a quality old series than a crappy recent one.

Teo
Your not wrong there,Future Boy Conan is beyond classic but even with the Miyazaki tag related to it,its one of those shows that gets over looked for some reason,its one of the best pieces of work Miyazaki has ever done and in this day and age with Ghibli being more widespread in the western world they could market the hell out of a Future Boy Conan release,not really the hardest title to promote considering the big names behind it and yeah the BD release was simply beautiful,it made re-watching it again such an experience,i never tire of watching it.

Martian Successor Nadesico (episodes 1-4)

Holy crap is this a stupid series! With the most stupid death ever in anime (RIP Kamina's uncle). Still can't decide if it's so stupid to be total crap or so stupid to turn around and become good... I'm quite tempted to drop it.

Teo

Last edited by a moderator:
teonzo said:
Martian Successor Nadesico

Holy crap is this a stupid series! ... Still can't decide if it's so stupid to be total crap or so stupid to turn around and become good... I'm quite tempted to drop it.
I quite agree and indeed I did drop it, but never actually got rid of the DVDs so I might give it another chance some day.

Nadesico is another one of those shows time does not appear to have been kind to. Seems as though it was almost universally loved at the time, but the reaction of people watching it for the first time now often seems similar to yours. All I can remember now is its poorly executed manic-depressive tone (think Futurama M.A.S.H parody where the Hawkeye robot keeps flipping a switch to turn from "irreverent" to "maudlin") and that Ruri was kinda amusing.

ayase said:
I quite agree and indeed I did drop it, but never actually got rid of the DVDs so I might give it another chance some day.

Nadesico is another one of those shows time does not appear to have been kind to. Seems as though it was almost universally loved at the time, but the reaction of people watching it for the first time now often seems similar to yours. All I can remember now is its poorly executed manic-depressive tone (think Futurama M.A.S.H parody where the Hawkeye robot keeps flipping a switch to turn from "irreverent" to "maudlin") and that Ruri was kinda amusing.g/quote]

I don't know if the whole show is a mecha parody, first episodes totally seem one. So I suppose that it could have been funny at the time, especially the anime in the anime is a nice joke on all the super robots (don't know if it will continue after episode 4). But if someone has watched Gurren Lagann before this one, well... there's just an abyss.
I'm a donkey, because when I buy something I always try to finish it and never sells it even if totally sucks (Kai Doh Maruuuuuuuu). But I'm leaning on dropping it, I don't think I can stand other 20 episodes of this. The only thing I liked (Kamina's uncle) decided to die. At least I spent really few money for this, I bought the Italian release on a sale for about 12 euro, so I did not waste that much.

Teo

Last edited by a moderator:
Steins;Gate - Eps 1 & 2(Re-watch again subbed)
Bakemonogatari - Ep1 (Character Commentary)
Durarara - Eps 23-25
Canaan - Ep1

Allow me to be THAT guy who complains about everything for a second, but with Canaan, the sub timing appears to be all over the place.
Subs most of the time show up before a character speaks and go just before they finish. Sometimes during a conversation between two people, the subtitles are constantly on screen, others they appear and disappear when a person speaks like I would expect. Others the timing is completely wrong and the character will say a block of text whilst one single line shows on screen, and then the next line shows when they have finished. Quite annoying.

Also the Japanese audio seems to be lower quality than usual and is only 2.0(?).

I'm hoping this is only a one off for this episode as the show itself seems interesting so far.

Mangaranga said:
Allow me to be THAT guy who complains about everything for a second, but with Canaan, the sub timing appears to be all over the place.
Subs most of the time show up before a character speaks and go just before they finish. Sometimes during a conversation between two people, the subtitles are constantly on screen, others they appear and disappear when a person speaks like I would expect. Others the timing is completely wrong and the character will say a block of text whilst one single line shows on screen, and then the next line shows when they have finished. Quite annoying.

Also the Japanese audio seems to be lower quality than usual and is only 2.0(?).

I'm hoping this is only a one off for this episode as the show itself seems interesting so far.

Shiki episode 1 from Manga Uk was a mess with the subtitles too, starting a bit before someone speaks and ending a bit before it was supposed. But it was just episode 1 to my relief eheh

Anyway, thats not good news, im quite looking foward to that series since im wanna watch it again cause i did enjou when it aired. Let me know when you see the second episode.

The big difference for me is that TTGL was so OTT I never took it seriously (and revelled in its self-aware parody nature - Though I know some didn't I'd argue that's what Gainax have *always* done). I could never tell if I was supposed to be taking Nadesico seriously or not.

The mix of comedy and melodrama never really bothered me in Nadesico, rather I think what brought it down for me was the attempt to blend a vague harem element into the story. I just didn't think it added anything, feeling instead like a lazy way of developing the support cast.

TTGL, I just couldn't be bothered with. I didn't like the mech designs and, even by Gainax standards, that was a ridiculous amount of fan service. Saying that, I did like the music and it did spawn the brilliant fan comic, Double K.

Regarding Nadesico,i personally adore the show,maybe it seems dated now and it is a product of its time but i think its aged quiet well and i can still enjoy it as much now as i did back in the old days,and even for those who don,t dig the actual show,no one can deny the show within a show Gekiganger III is just awesome.

Gunparade March - Episodes 4 - 6

GM got much better from episode 5.

I really like Nadesico, I've seen it 4 times in the last 10 years (most recently about 3 years ago) and have enjoyed it the same everytime.

Back