Your viewing journal

Stuart-says-yes said:
Ore no imouto ep 10

Another good episode, not the best but it was pretty funny, I also rather liked the OP change (the battle between Ruri and Kirino). Also poor Bridget-chan, I hope she appears again before the end of the anime
Not specifically in reply to this, but I just read your comment on MAL about the way they're handling the rest of the series and wanted to say I fully agree. :)

Although I suspect I could guess what they're going to do, based on the novels, overall it sounds like a terrible idea in theory.

I haven't really posted about the show in a couple of weeks as I have been getting slightly more and more disappointed with it as it has gone on - not to any killer extent, but the pacing had started to go slightly against what I was hoping for by the half way point, and I wasn't overly impressed by episode 8 as expected, and now I really think they've mis-judged what makes the novels so great in an attempt to garner a few more sales from a slightly different fan base.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grenadier: 1-4

It really is Trigun with shallower characters and boobs. Killing is wrong, and a boob-huggle / suffocation is what people need - NOT POWER! The cleavage unlimited ammo trick is unique. Easy to watch and has appealing art, along with much stupidity.

Tide-Line Blue: 1-4

These short anime move FAST! A post-apoc world, a rogue submarine declaring war against the new UN, an underage girl giving birth, and twins reuniting... ALL IN EP1. The immature lead has TONS of potential, alongside Isla - the young mother he loves.

ilmaestro said:
Dracos said:
[Endless Eight] is the only really new content in the whole season.
Hmm? What do you mean? Glad to see someone else on here who likes E8, though. :)
Maybe it is because I am also reading the manga that I may be confused but apart from the endless eight I felt like I had seen it before. The time traveling I am not sure on but the making of the film was in the first season.

I watched Vampire Knight and while I enjoyed it I think the manga is probably better. The only real problem I had with it though is no satisfying conclusion as it leads into a second season.

Dracos said:
ilmaestro said:
Dracos said:
Hmm? What do you mean? Glad to see someone else on here who likes E8, though. :)
Maybe it is because I am also reading the manga that I may be confused but apart from the endless eight I felt like I had seen it before. The time traveling I am not sure on but the making of the film was in the first season.
The film making (The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya 1-5) and Endless Eight was season 2 (and Bamboo Leaf Rapsody). They only showed the finished film in season 1, not the production.

Durarararararara! 1-9

Like the same writer's Baccano, Durarara doesn't have one protagonist. Rather, its story is that of every cast member, a colourful bunch of weird and not-so-weird characters who either inhabit or frequent Ikebukuro. Some of them are already acquainted, and those who aren't soon become acquainted or cross paths at some point. Little by little connections are made and details revealed, and though it's hard to discern where Durarara is going after the first nine episodes, somehow it works.

Actually, it could be said that Ikebukuro itself is the main character, because it's more than just a setting. Durarara's Ikebukuro is a vivid place, teeming with life and mystery and adventure, and it's integral to the show's flavour and character.

It doesn't hurt that the character designs and music and direction are top class, which is nothing less than I expected from the director and studio behind Baccano. Both shows have flair in abundance and a spark of genius. In all honesty I didn't expect Durarara to live up to Baccano, and as yet it hasn't quite, but right now I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually did.

Dracos said:
ilmaestro said:
Dracos said:
Yeah, I think the combination of reading the manga and having all the episodes together in chronological order might be throwing you off. E8 only makes up 8/14 new episodes, as Reaper says.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Actually, it could be said that Ikebukuro itself is the main character
Too deep, man. ;)

But totally true. And, sadly, the main reason why I chose to stay in Ikebukuro when I went to Japan this past Summer. ^^;

Oh yeah, actually on-topic post (I really need to go back and work out which episodes I haven't posted about the last week or so):

Fairy Tail ep 57 - Far more interesting episode than the silly thing with the bikes... DESU NE! This show just has an underlying feeling of fun that you can't deny.

Otome Youkai Zakuro ep 10 - For a show that feels like it relies on its characters and presentation for a lot of its charm, they aren't really dropping the ball too badly when it comes to actual plot. I don't know if I would call things "jaw dropping" in the revelation department, but certainly it made for compelling viewing.

Yosuga no Sora ep 10 - Well, if anyone else has watched this far, you pretty much knew what you were getting... apart from maybe the censorship. Will need to watch the last couple of eps before deciding if it was worth sticking this out until the end.

NuraMago ep 23 - Bad-ass episode, Rikuo + Yuki-onna ftw!

Ika-musume ep 10 - In the last few weeks, this show really has started to live up to its potential. The baseball story was sweet and funny, Sanae's descent into madness was hilarious, and the opening segment was one of the best so far. Ika + normal everyday life = massive win.

The World God Only Knows ep 10 - Arigaron, KamiNomi, you have actually managed to entertain me pretty consistently with these last two arcs (only one sloppy filler ep as a let-down). Shiori = best girl yet.

ilmaestro said:
Too deep, man. ;)
As I wrote the post I did ponder whether that might make me sound like a wanker. but then I realized it's far too late to worry about that. Plus I couldn't find a better way to convey how important the setting is. When in doubt, uh, be pretentious!

Bleach : The diamond Dust Rebellion

It was ok. Never surpasses the feeling of being average throughout. The story was thin and the movie spent too much time dragging out what little there was to the back story.

3/5

Fullmetal Alchemist: Conqueror of Shamballa

Though often cliched and transparent, Shamballa is still a gripping story. It manages to expertly mix the notion of brotherly love and redemption with the political agenda of those on the other side, and never finds itself dropping the ball. Fullmetal Alchemist:Conqueror of Shamballa left a wide smile on my face upon its conclusion and with a sense that the story told in the anime had come to a strong and fitting end.

5/5

Divergence Eve ep. 1-11
This anime is awesome. At least it is in my mind, when I imagine keeping the story concept and changing everything else about the way it was executed. Just describing the general set-up you'd think it could be a claustrophobic sci-fi noir type of show, but it quickly becomes clear this has been thwarted (jiggle! boing!). With only two episodes to go, it's quite clear we're in "wasted potential" territory here. It also sports one of the most out-of-place ending themes I've seen in a while.

5/10 - so-so, as there are flashes of something more on occasion.

britguy said:
Fullmetal Alchemist: Conqueror of Shamballa

Though often cliched and transparent, Shamballa is still a gripping story. It manages to expertly mix the notion of brotherly love and redemption with the political agenda of those on the other side, and never finds itself dropping the ball. Fullmetal Alchemist:Conqueror of Shamballa left a wide smile on my face upon its conclusion and with a sense that the story told in the anime had come to a strong and fitting end.

5/5

Good to see this get a positive reaction. I also enjoyed the film but it would appear not too many hardcore FMA fans give it particularly good reviews.

I watched Canaan. Some real F'ed Up girls and guns in this show. Some nice action and a half tidy storyline make this pretty enjoyable, also the 13 episode run help stop it getting too stale. The only thing that really bugged me is the usual inability or unwillingness on the part of the protagonist and antagonist to kill each other even when it is actually harder not to kill than to kill.

Overall I liked the show but I still think Noir is favourite girls with guns show.

Guyver Episode 26 Aptome is getting beaten by Neo ZX-Tole when Sho (Guyver 1) appears from out the cocoon. The now powered up Guyver 1 easily beats Neo ZX-Tole thus saving his friends. Aptome, after absorbing a spy, retreats. The show ends leaving scope for a second series.

Witchblade Episodes 1 - 4 The first four episodes see single mum Masane and her young daughter Rihoko move back to Tokyo to start a new life. A child welfare organisation called the NSWF tries to separate them but Masane finds a job using the witchblade to defeat monsters called Ex-cons.

sic vita est said:

Given that we're talking about Divergence Eve here, that is possibly THE most unintentionally funny remark I've seen all week. ;)

mangaman74 said:
Guyver Episode 26 Aptome is getting beaten by Neo ZX-Tole when Sho (Guyver 1) appears from out the cocoon. The now powered up Guyver 1 easily beats Neo ZX-Tole thus saving his friends. Aptome, after absorbing a spy, retreats. The show ends leaving scope for a second series.

A second series it doesn't get though.

If you enjoyed it though try looking at the manga some time, since i can't remember precisely the volume where the anime story ends it would be best if you started from the beginning. There's quite a few changes as well that you may find intresting.

Amagami ep 23 - Ayatsuji is k-k-k-krazy, serious problems. On one hand, shame the show can't deal with them properly, especially not in this short time frame, on the other hand, who cares because they still made it totally hilarious.

Shiki ep 19 - Another contender for best ep of the season so far, real shift in narrative and atmosphere. This show is amazing.

SoreMachi ep 10 - Oh yes, right back to the awesomeness of Kon-sempai. Last week had too much non-main girls content that was stretched out, so whilst funny wasn't entirely satisfying. This week more than made up for it.

Kuragehime ep 8 - This series has really surpassed my expectations. It is amusing at times, which was what I was initially looking for, but the nature of the content, and the prominance of characters like Shu, has really surprised me, in a good way.

HdE said:
sic vita est said:

Given that we're talking about Divergence Eve here, that is possibly THE most unintentionally funny remark I've seen all week. ;)
lol

Back