Your viewing journal

fabricatedlunatic said:
I really shouldn't dignify it with a response but, what the hell, I'm in the mood.

Translation: Aion isn't giving me any attention, and my MAL tactic have failed. Maybe this will earn me the honour of a message?

fabricatedlunatic said:
especially when the out of context quote says nothing about my opinions of the show's characterization.

Dumbo, before you get all electronically violent on me again, take a few deep breaths and understand the following: when you suggest something is made for kids, you are, by default, attacking its story and characterization. You're saying it's dumbed down for kids to better understand. There's nothing for me to "quote out of context," you will not win an argument with me, etc etc.

Give me some examples how Sana and Akito's ages make the issues dealt with, and their growth as characters that result, lesser than those in other shows with older characters? Kodocha is, at heart, a coming of age tale, and the characters have to deal with the pressure of fame/a working life from an early age and a family so dysfunctional that a younger brother has to deal with his older sister blaming him for their mother's death (plus some hard-hitting Sana drama that's right around the corner, for you). Where as most other titles tread lightly around such issues, Kodocha's story touches upon these adult issues without hesitation.

The ONLY childish aspect of Kodocha is the romance. And even then, how often in romance stories do main parings fanny about before even kissing? Remember how long it took Godai and Kyoko to get it on in MI? At least in titles aimed at young girls the male lead's are more ballsy than those in seinen series loved by 30+ pensioners, eh?

fabricatedlunatic said:
Here's some amateur psychology for you: you're annoyed because you're insecure about enjoying a show made for preteen girls.

And you're annoyed because you lack the manliness to ever win an argument with me; crying over virtual slaps.

Content > Characters' ages.

just as I acknowledge that most Ghibli movies are for kids and enjoy those too.

It isn't even possible to watch most Miyazaki flicks and not realized they're aimed at brats/females. For one, the movies run-times prevent any significant depth, and the lack of adult content/progression pretty much seals the deal.

Anyone who watches Ponyo and honestly believes an adult can praise anything other than the pretty colours is kind of retarded, tbh.

In short: chill out.

Correction: chill out, dickwad.

Fruits Basket and Kodocha have the same director. It's only natural that the blend of comedy and drama in both is seamless.

I plan on reading the manga after xmas, then giving the anime another try. I lack the motivation to push-on beyond 24, knowing I'll most likely encounter lots of filler and would soon hear the last of Bailey. :(

ilmaestro said:
SoreMachi ep 8 - one of the most enjoyable episodes of any show this season, for me. Kon-sempai is amazing, and the comedy is just the perfect tone for my taste.

Pretty much my exact feeling towards this episode, music at the end was also very enjoyable.

Oh!-Edo Rocket. Quite a fun with a fair amount self referential humour. However for what is pretty much a comedy show there is quite a bit of violence and death.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu eps 3-6 - The blend of high-concept sci-fi, drama, and light comedy really marks this show out as something that could have succeeded in any era, imo, despite the bright streaks of modernity that threaten to date it in time - something that you really can't say about all the best shows from the last few years. Sugita Tomokazu as Kyon is one of the great modern seiyuu performances.

Stuart-says-yes said:
ilmaestro said:
Bakuman ep 9 - But... but... Iwase is so much hotter. :( You idiot, Shujin. Pretty fun episode, though. Get Eiji involved more than one minute at the end each time. :-/
Women aren't allowed to have opinions in this show, and they get punished/ignored if they do. The problem with Eiji is, as I am sure you know, if the show didn't cover the plot at such an unbelievably slow pace (about as bad as the start of shippuden) then we could be at the serialization arc, where Eiji is a big focus.
Yeah, I guess I do know what you're saying, I just felt like moaning. ^^;

Star Driver ep 9 - If the series had started at the quality it hit around episode 6 or so, it would maybe have a squeak at being imported, as I really think they've found their feet eventually. I didn't like this episode quite as much as the last three or so, it was still a little too "monster of the week" in large parts, but there was once again progression, with the new character(s) introduced actually serving to further the plot. Mizuno is fantastic, and sometimes I love my ability to not overthink potential plot points or to "preempt" twists - I was still caught a little on the hop by the final revelation, even though it couldn't actually have been more obvious if she'd been wearing a badge saying that the whole way through the ep.

Zakuro ep 9 - Another top-drawer episode, 'shipping in this show is so much fun, really nice to see them working on giving us alternative pairings to think about. There's just enough action woven in the keep the tempo absolutely perfect, too.

Stuart-says-yes said:
Otome Yokai Zakuro ep 9 - Who'd a thunk that the bad guy was the good guy
Don't you mean that the other way around? Maybe that's just me reading your emphasis wrong. ^^;

Yakumo ep 9 - What did I just watch. Why do I not understand anything that is happening. Maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention, or maybe the main storyline really has been this badly handled. It feels like there is something worth looking harder into somewhere there, maybe I should read the books. Anyway, props for a truly disturbing version of a popular children's song.

Fairy Tail ep 56 - Kind of standard ep, I guess. Which for this show is still not bad, to be fair.

Last edited by a moderator:
NuraMago ep 22 - Great build up for the end of the arc, villain actually being a bit villainous, and the titular character himself really coming into his own.

Ika-musume ep 9 - Absolutely hilarious, maybe the best episode yet. Didn't love the last, short, segment, but the rest of the episode was laugh-out-loud funny. Really looking forward to the baseball segment next week.

Amagami ep 21 - Ahaha, wonderful direction to take this arc in. Really looking forward to the last few episodes now. ^_^

Paranoia Agent ep. 8 - 10
Well, the first two episodes in this volume tread perilously close to being comedy filler, as much as the topics covered could ever be comedy. Part-way through this I was also sharply reminded that this was the region 2 release with a somewhat confusing cut in it (time for the internet!). Episode 10 is right back on joyously unsettling form though, which saves this volume from mediocrity.

7/10 - good. Also: curse you, BBFC!

Uta-Kata. Bit of an odd show this a girl tested by mirror people ending with the question whether they want to destroy themselves or the rest of humanity. There are some interesting characters the parents who don't batter an eyelid when the "pen pal" turns up to stay and the friend with the "sight" are some of the more memorable. Even though it appears that it should be comedy it is actually quite serious but things don't seem to carry much gravity and Ichika seems to use the powers she is given frivolously.

Last edited by a moderator:
Star Driver - Episode 9

I found this episode rather dull and repetitive especially the first half of it, unless it pulls something spectacular out of the bag, Star Driver is destined for mediocrity.

Just started watching Durarara! on Crunchyroll. Watched episode 1 last night, and thought it was pretty interesting, starting off as a general normal show, but then going into the odd story about the black rider. Not sure what to expect as I keep watching, but am gonna watch #2 now.

Kurokami 7-12

Becoming increasingly messy. The manga content used is already done with, halfway through, and Sunrise paid little attention to it. Instead of remaining faithful to the little manga content they had to work with, they instead cut and altered it until it edged closer to becoming unrecognizable. Keita's emo/nice guy routine damaged the series from an early point, and rushing through key points of the plot (Kuro's past, Keita's mother's death) only further hurt it.

At the start I hoped Sunrise would take it an interesting original story direction. Now, with Reiishin having been shoved down a worm hole following a cliche shounen battle with Steiner, I only expect it to get painfully bad, from my source material loving perspective.

At least Kuro and Akane are the same as in the manga and Bailey's voicing Kuro...

Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspector - Episode 9

Still Brilliant!

Fang of the Sun Dougram - Episodes 4 & 5

This gets more and more interesting with every episode!

Back