Your viewing journal

Ryo Chan said:
Kanon ep 10, finally forced myself to watching it.

Key really know how to pull at peoples emotional strings
Maeda's a good writer at what he does, they do all come out with the same structure though. Give or take how much forshadowing/ sense of impending doom there is.

Be forewarned it doesn't get happy for an extended strech after this; it covered all the lighthearted stuff already.

Structure for the anime is evil, it covers each route up to resolution, but not the endings, as most are epilogue. So it leaves everything hanging for way too long.

Ryo Chan said:
Kanon ep 10, finally forced myself to watching it.

Key really know how to pull at peoples emotional strings

The way they set it all up before episode 10 was extremely heart wrenching. Wasnt it like an episode before where Makoto could finally say Yuichi's name? I could never do a repeat watch of that scene as it was a real tear jerker. You thought for a minute there would be a bit of redemption for Makoto but it was never to be come the conclusion at the end of episode 10

Excellent series though considering how it was all done, its probably the most depressing series i've ever seen but oh so good for it.

Anyway, anyone seen episode 21 of Amagami yet? I never expected to see that from Tsukasa :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
ilmaestro said:
Reaper gI said:
Be forewarned
Errr, you know what other people sometimes call being "forewarned"? "Spoiled". You could at least use spoiler tags, just in case.
In this context, I think forewarned, "fyi" or whatever are perfectly applicable. Spoilers indicates spoiling something, whereas this is just information. It's like knowing about directors coming and going, it doesn't tell you anything in particular, but might manage your expectations.

Of course, people's definitions of "spoilers" vary wildly. :p

I've just finished the series of Kanon myself. I didn't find it depressing overall (some scenes, granted), in fact in many places I found it hopeful and uplifting.

I think I've watched too many poor series just before hand, so that may have affected my interpretation a little...

Jayme said:
ilmaestro said:
Jayme said:
Of course, people's definitions of "spoilers" vary wildly. :p
*Exactly*
Do you not read reviews/descriptions of films/shows, though? If your getting that far, even looking at an image of a show you haven't seen must drive you insane.
I read reviews that I know evaluate quality, not describe content and tone. I don't consider your second comment particularly related to your first, but yes, for most things I will totally avoid artwork etc. for the show.

Stuart-says-yes said:
Lastly, those chocolate burgers

chocolateburgerthings.png

I've only ever seen these once in the rather posh end of london (during my trip to the expo), near harrods, in a french confectionery shop, and they tasted rather good (they come in all sorted flavours), but for the size of them they were bloomin expensive.

They're called macarons :)

I'm not keen on them but I've seen them in a few continental-style bakeries around.

R

ilmaestro said:
I read reviews that I know evaluate quality, not describe content and tone. I don't consider your second comment particularly related to your first, but yes, for most things I will totally avoid artwork etc. for the show.
Interesting, actually. I'm quite loose with spoilers, with the only thing that makes me a bit "meh" about it is learning if/when someone dies. I still think there's a difference between quality warning and genuinely spoiling events though. To each their own.

Jayme said:
ilmaestro said:
Interesting, actually. I'm quite loose with spoilers, with the only thing that makes me a bit "meh" about it is learning if/when someone dies. I still think there's a difference between quality warning and genuinely spoiling events though. To each their own.
I didn't think he was warning him about quality ("I didn't like the series so much after this point" is kind of ambiguous whether it's a spoiler or not - depends how much you know about why the person liked the series up to that point, or what they likein general), he was telling him how the tone of the show does or doesn't change. Knowing that something does or doesn't have a happy ending is surely somewhere in the category of "potential spoiler"?

eden of the east ep 1-4 -really great so far the only thing I dont like about it
is Ill have to wait ages before the movies come out.

honey and clover ep 1-7 - Reaally loveing this so far great chacaters

machromatic ep 1 - its okay not one of gainaxs best tho.

Darker Than Black - 14 episodes in.

I can see now why this anime gets so much praise, because it's so easy to watch, too bad it's pretty awful otherwise. Most of the characters are garbage (Besides the detectives and Mao, although I kind of liked Havoc) the OST has its moments but it's far from Yoko Kanno's finest (Wolf's Rain and GitS: SAC) and some of the actual events that occur in the show are just plain dumb. The amount of food the lead consumes... if I wanted to see someone do that I'd watch One Piece or Naruto. Jesus Christ.

Also watching the weeklies don't have much to comment on, except Star Driver is starting to get better somehow.

AironicallyHuman said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
it's worth remembering that Kodocha was made for girls of Sana's age
Suggesting 10-year-olds should exclusively be able to relate to Sana >>> suggesting the characterization is at a level fitting for 10-year-old girls >>> insulting manly Aion for 8-10/10ing Kodocha / loving Sana.
Missed this post. I really shouldn't dignify it with a response but, what the hell, I'm in the mood.

Quoting me out of context to support the findings of your bizarre psychological assessment does you no favours, especially when the out of context quote says nothing about my opinions of the show's characterization. For the record I think it's generally very good, but of course you're more interested in concocting your own version of events.

Here's some amateur psychology for you: you're annoyed because you're insecure about enjoying a show made for preteen girls. I acknowledge that preteen girls are Kodocha's target audience and enjoy it regardless, just as I acknowledge that most Ghibli movies are for kids and enjoy those too. But you kick and scream if anyone dares question your manly credentials!

In short: chill out.

Speaking of Kodocha, yesterday I watched the third disc. Even though a combination of comedy and drama is usually not to my liking, in these episodes Kodocha does it exceptionally well, the transition from silly to serious somehow not feeling awkward. But my favourite aspect of the show is its comedy, and it continues to be one of funniest shows I've seen. Sana's raps are consistently hilarious; her mother cracks me up practically every time she's on screen; and much lolling has resulted from either Sana or Rei using their, uh, buzzing communication thing. Most amusing.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu eps 1 & 2 - Time to go once again on this amazing bouken desho desho? Filling up with excitement at the prospect of watching back through it, who knows what I'll be like by the time I finally get to watch the movie.

Bakuman ep 9 - But... but... Iwase is so much hotter. :( You idiot, Shujin. Pretty fun episode, though. Get Eiji involved more than one minute at the end each time. :-/

MM! ep 9 - Yes, this was back to form in many ways. More Mio focus is the key.

Milky Holmes ep 8 - This series is now officially (if it somehow wasn't before) nuttier than a squirrel. I can't help but be entertained, but I honestly don't know who I would recommend the show to.

Back