Your viewing journal

Lupin III: Part II - ep1

This is the first time I've actually seen part of the red-jacket tv series. What struck me straight away was how badly the art seems to have taken a dive compared with the first series. The character designs in particular are looser and less consistent, although I gather they do get better later on and the animation itself is much smoother as well.

The actual episode was okay though; basically just a refresher on who the characters are and a slightly conventional fight with one of the villains from s1. I'll be interested to see where they go with the tone of the series compared with s1 as, at the moment, it seems like they're trying to strike a balance between Miyazaki & Takahata's lighthearted approach and Osumi's racier, darker edge.

Dracos said:
Eden Of The East. Interesting idea for a show but it felt a little wasted and unrealised.

I recently finished this and felt the same way. Then I got a top tip... watch the two films as well! Really adds to it and they are a direct follow on. I still felt there was more potential but it does help

Stuart-says-yes said:
Ore no Imouto ep 8

I'm loving this

Really? I found this weeks episode a little dull except for the bit Kuroneko talked about Her distain for Kirino's book being a hit when she had worked so hard and never got anywhere

Last edited by a moderator:
Bakemonogatari ep 10-15 - wow I have to say I really enjoyed the end, it was intresting the way they took a diffrent look at the romance genre by using the oddities. The onlyy thing I would have to say about it is, at around ep 10 the animation gets really bad and they use far too many jump cuts.

wertwow said:
Bakemonogatari ep 10-15 - wow I have to say I really enjoyed the end, it was intresting the way they took a diffrent look at the romance genre by using the oddities. The oonlyy thing I would have to say about it is, at around ep 10 the animation gets really bad and they use far too many jump cuts.
You looking at the Blurays not the broadcast version right?

Reaper gI said:
wertwow said:
Bakemonogatari ep 10-15 - wow I have to say I really enjoyed the end, it was intresting the way they took a diffrent look at the romance genre by using the oddities. The oonlyy thing I would have to say about it is, at around ep 10 the animation gets really bad and they use far too many jump cuts.
You looking at the Blurays not the broadcast version right?

Not sure was watching on my ipod so just downloaded whatever I could pick up in avi.

Aogu said:
Dracos said:
Eden Of The East. Interesting idea for a show but it felt a little wasted and unrealised.

I recently finished this and felt the same way. Then I got a top tip... watch the two films as well! Really adds to it and they are a direct follow on. I still felt there was more potential but it does help

I will be grabbing the films as soon the R1 DVDs are released. Unless Funimation put them up on youtube and lets us in the UK access them before then.

wertwow said:
Not sure was watching one my ipod so just downloaded whatever I could pick up in avi.
avi yuck! it's a 1080p show.
The diference may have been it being the TV version. It is directed by Akiyuki Shinbo. Like every other show directed by Akiyuki Shinbo it aired essentialy unfinished and was touched up heavily for the disk releases.

Did it show his arm being bitten, broken with blood splatter etc. when he pulls the snake off at ~ 18 minutes. TV cut has almost no gore. Disk releases are quite graphic.

Reaper gI said:
wertwow said:
Not sure was watching one my ipod so just downloaded whatever I could pick up in avi.
avi yuck! it's a 1080p show.
The diference may have been it being the TV version. It is directed by Akiyuki Shinbo. Like every other show directed by Akiyuki Shinbo it aired essentialy unfinished and was touched up heavily for the disk releases.

Did it show his arm being bitten, broken with blood splatter etc. when he pulls the snake off at ~ 18 minutes. TV cut has almost no gore. Disk releases are quite graphic.
Might want to take a look at rewatching some of it then, are all the episodes worth rewatching or is it really only episode 10

Girls Bravo 4-9

For every great, semi-inspired episode where insanity and outrageous fanservice are thrown in a blender then splattered all over the walls, there's one with far too much gloopy sentimental crap. The rest are somewhere in the middle.

This is not the kind of series that needs melodrama or sappy ********. It doesn't even work because the characterization is paper thin. Just give me the service and crazy, damn it, because that's what I'm here for.

wertwow said:
Might want to take a look at rewatching some of it then, are all the episodes worth rewatching or is it really only episode 10
The entire series is quite different on disk to TV. As said TV has less action sequences and gore in it.
There's other changes too but animating more of the action is the realy noticable one (besides the improved video).

There are so many re-done cuts across all the episodes, not just the ones that were literally missing animated sequences... the broadcast version is the epitome of being an "advert" for buying the real product (ie. the home video version).

Amagami ep 20 - I thought this was a better told story than most of what has come before, Rihocchi should stay cute and cuddly forever.

Soremachi ep 7 - Really enjoyed the scenarios that were used this week, but I didn't quite burst into laughter as much as with some other episodes.

Kuragehime ep 5 - Show is in a nice groove now, with an actual narrative to work on, but I'm still not overly impressed with all the side characters. At least they're pretty unique. Kura was right, though, he still looked cute enough to be a girl even after taking his wig and whathaveyou off. ^^;

MM! ep 8 - Pretty weird this week (as if that's anything new - but especially so), certainly a change-up. Fairly middle-of-the-road, entertainment wise, though.

Bakuman ep 8 - Getting moving a little more now, can't wait to get more of Iwase involved, might give Shujin something else to think about.

Star Driver ep 8 - this show has done quite a good job over the last three weeks of turning my opinion around. Actually using the characters well, and building up towards the big fight in this episode.

Yakumo ep 8 - Mmm, whereas this show has probably gone the other way. The main story isn't as much fun as just having simple one-shots and playful banter between Yakumo and Haruka, imo.

Yosuga no Sora ep 8 - Really shouldn't have bothered, predictably uninteresting. Roll on Sora's arc.

Ika-musume ep 8 - one of the best episodes so far, as they did the sensible thing of giving an Ika-musume outlook on regular things like colds and umbrellas. Very funny.

NuraMago ep 21 - Building up towards the end of the arc nicely, liked the mafia-esque scene sakazuki scene. For some reason I really don't like the background music to this show much, though.

Otome Youkai Zakuro ep 8 - If I was to make an entirely neutral assessment, I would say this is the best show of the season. Just super consistent in every aspect, some amazing characters, and an interesting story building up. Even manages to find time to be really amusing. A nice balance of Susukihotaru and Zakuro this episode, too.

Invincible Steel Man Daitarn 3 - Episodes 13 & 14

Daitarn 3 whilst still being typical episodic super robot is very slowly beginning to build more of a continuous story now.

Fang of the Sun Dougram - Episode 1

A solid start to this mecha classic, plenty of seeds sown for what looks like an interesting story.

Lupin III: Part 2 - ep 2-4

I think only Lupin could, while visiting Rio, manage to use the giant statue of Christ as a makeshift weapon.

Orgun said:
Fang of the Sun Dougram

I really want to see that, but I feel like I ought to finish watching Votoms first.

Back