Your viewing journal

This was the first episode I ever watched and it impressed me greatly. Almost makes me want to go back and watch it all again (still waiting for the remastered version, even though I know it'll never come).

They have done an HD version but apparently it has major problems, you prob already know that though tbf. I do hope they do that remake that's been floating around as a possible thing at some point, I'd be really interested to see one (and I'm not the biggest remake/reboot person, but a new Buffy for a new generation could be something really special if done right) :)

Shy Season 2 Episode 15

Spice and Wolf: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 16

The Ossan Newbie Adventurer, Trained to Death by the Most Powerful Party, Became Invincible Episode 2

Goku: Midnight Eye OVA

I think it might have become apparent that I love the 80/90s OVA cheese. I watched this one with the Manga Entertainment UK dub because I’m compelled to by nostalgia.

I think this is the first one where I didn’t enjoy it all that much. It felt like the hero Goku just given cheat codes and then all the mysteries were there to solve with no real effort as he essentially Googles the answers.

On the positive side, the first OVA had a cyborg that’s half stripper and half motorcycle being rode around by a small chap in techno knights armour… so there’s that. Oh, and the actual visuals are pretty cool.

IMG_9646.jpeg

It was really hard to find a frame that was safe for work of this 🤣

Ayla Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian episode 3 Work together.

Oshi no Ko 2nd Season episode 14 Assistance.

Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World Season 2 episode 2 Agitated.

Sengoku Youko episode 14 A fresh start.

The Strongest Magician in the Demon Lord’s Army Was a Human episode 4 Build.

Summer Time Rendering episodes 15-25 (Complete. I thought this was quite an impressive watch - I’d like to add a boxset to my collection one day if anyone can get it licensed.) 4/5

My Deer Friend Nokotan ep1

Seen some quite divided opinions on this one, but having gone into it with no great expectations, I thought it was endearingly (sorry) daft. There’s not much else this season that appeals to me, so I’ll likely stick with it.

Cleopatra DC (1989)

Not to be confused with Blaxploitation favourite Cleopatra Jones (as I keep doing for some reason), this 3-part adaptation of a Kaoru Shintani manga sees the jetsetting young head of a multinational corporation using her power and influence to tackle various criminal misdeeds, all of which seem suspiciously linked to a rival company. Now that we have reached the terrifying future of 2024, it’s a little hard not to think that Cleo’s immense wealth and apparent sway with world powers puts her in much the same position as the baddies in a Call of Duty game, but this is all quite genteel, and seems heavily influenced by glossy American adventure shows of the late 70s. The overall effect is a bit like someone spun Hideo Kojima around until he was dizzy, then got him to watch Charlie’s Angels and Hart to Hart on repeat.

It’s a little hard to know how seriously the show wants you to take it at times (attempts to build tension towards the high stakes finale in episode 3 are undercut by an admittedly very funny running gag, for example) and, in the pantheon of Shintani things which are not Area 88, I liked this a little less than the grittier, tighter focused Desert Rose, but it’s an appealing bit of escapist nonsense that doesn’t outstay its welcome.

Goku: Midnight Eye OVA

I think this is the first one where I didn’t enjoy it all that much.
I get that. Considering that it’s Kawajiri adapting a Buichi Terasawa manga, I was surprised at how middling the end result was. I did get a laugh out of the villains’ nefarious plan boiling down to ‘let’s give everyone bird flu’ though, and I think there’s a cheeky reference to what else was in production at Madhouse at the time, given that ‘808’ is displayed very prominently on a container in one shot…

@Professor Irony i forgot about the swans 🤣 Jesus Christ! Yeah it was no space cobra for sure. It’s the creative team is 2+2 but came out with 3 which wasn’t the magic number in this case. I just wish it was more camp or more 80/90s bonkers ova or more something but it seemed to sit in the middle and not really do any of them well.

I’d watch it again but maybe at the start of an OVA watch day so it’s not outshined by more bonkers stuff.

Kawajiri does excellent colour work though.

IMG_9662.jpeg

Isekai Quartet season 1 & 2 episodes 1-12.

Latest title from my backlog with the short episode series involving characters from various titles thrown together in a school setting.

Explosion!

I was never really that fussed who won tbh :)
I couldn't agree more - it would be like a parent being asked who their favourite child is😂
Summer Time Rendering episodes 15-25 (Complete. I thought this was quite an impressive watch - I’d like to add a boxset to my collection one day if anyone can get it licensed.) 4/5
I'd second that, I quite enjoyed it as well and it felt like an effective sci-fi take/cross of Higurashi and Re:zero to me.

Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feeling's in Russian Episode 3

Love Is Invisible by Twins Episode 2

Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World Season 2 Episode 14

The Strongest Magician in the Demon Lord's Army was a Human Episode 4

Back