Your viewing journal

Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feeling's in Russian Episode 1 Glimpse.

Failure Frame: I Became the Strongest and Annihilated Everything with Low-Level Spells Episode 1

I Will Parry Everything Episode 1 Determination.

Pseudo Harem Episode 1 Joining the Club.

Senpai is an Otokonoko Episode 1

The Café Terrace and It's Goddesses Season 2 Episode 13

The Strongest Magician in the Demon Lord's Army was a Human Episode 2

High School DXD season 1: I'm getting a lot of flashbacks to other anime, from Testament of Sister New Devil to Riddle Story of Devil. Entertaining, especially if you love fan service and boobs and boobs and more boobs. I get very bored by training montages. Some of the jokes are funny, but the puerile sneaking into the girls locker at school, when he's living with naked hot chicks seems a bit silly. Can't work out why Issei is in love with Rias, when he's been lusting after that blonde fallen angel all series. Probably should pay more attention. On to season two...

Monogatari Series: OFF & Monster Season ONA 1 A solid sense.

My Wife Has No Emotion episode 2 Good vibrations.

Plus-Sized Elf episode 1 Fluctuation.

SHOSHIMIN: How to Become Ordinary episode 1 Lost and found.

The Elusive Samurai episode 1 Shelter.

The Fable episode 14 Into the mountains.

Sister Princess episodes 1-22

Kaiju No. 8 ep12 [end]

Wasn’t quite as engaged with this one overall as I would have hoped (would have appreciated a stronger sense of what was at stake, given that the civilian population never seems to be in much actual danger), but a solid and well made action series nonetheless.

Urusei Yatsura (1981) ep7-8

Recognising a few more stories that also cropped up in the remake version, although nothing I remember clearly enough to really say what’s changed. Don’t like the one where Cherry gives Ataru the ribbon that will block Lum’s powers if she wears it, the way she puts it on with such genuine affection for the gift he‘s given her is just too sad.

Plus-Sized Elf ep1

It’s certainly refreshing to see some more variation of body shapes in anime character design, but make no mistake, the show does spend quite a bit of its short runtime ogling larger ladies (occasionally to a more explicit extent than I’d expected). Still, much as you could accuse it of trivialising the health problems associated with weight gain or loss, broadly speaking, this seems pretty harmless.

Plus-Sized Elf ep1

It’s certainly refreshing to see some more variation of body shapes in anime character design, but make no mistake, the show does spend quite a bit of its short runtime ogling larger ladies (occasionally to a more explicit extent than I’d expected). Still, much as you could accuse it of trivialising the health problems associated with weight gain or loss, broadly speaking, this seems pretty harmless.
We are only getting half of the episodes outside of Japan. In Japan the episodes are split in half where the second half is dedicated to a work out routine that is simply missing from the international version.

The second half as aired is an omake-style workout guide you can join along with, featuring Naoe and the girl of the day, in this case Elfuda. In the spoiler section below are screenshots from the second missing half.
bXY9a00.jpeg
lZrqWft.jpeg
4EpcUA5.jpeg
13QKfkr.jpeg

2.5 Dimensional Seduction Episode 1

A Nobody's Way Up to an Exploration Hero Episode 1-2

Dahlia in Bloom: Crafting a Fresh Start with Magical Tools Episode 1

Plus-Sized Elf (Uncensored) Episode 1

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 3 Episode 62

The Misfit at Demon King Academy II Part 2 Episode 36

We are only getting half of the episodes outside of Japan. In Japan the episodes are split in half where the second half is dedicated to a work out routine that is simply missing from the international version.

The second half as aired is an omake-style workout guide you can join along with, featuring Naoe and the girl of the day, in this case Elfuda. In the spoiler section below are screenshots from the second missing half.

Ah, I see - that’s interesting, the show did remind me a bit of How Heavy Are the Dumbells You Lift? but without the fitness advice, so it kind of makes sense that there was a component like that to it as well.

Failure Frame: I Became the Strongest and Annihilated Everything With Low-Level Spells ep1: Yet another copy-paste 'revenge' story about a guy who leads the Worst Life Ever until he (and his entire class) is dragged to another world, where they discover that while they all have cool new powers, his new powers are considered so lame that he's abandoned in a dungeon (because outright killing him would lower the group's morale, even though everyone other than one swooning girl seems to hate him). It's bizarre and makes no internal sense, and everyone in it is so cartoonishly evil that I can't take the supposedly tragic story setup even slightly seriously. The rubbish-looking monsters were just the final nail in the coffin.

Quality Assurance in Another World ep1: I appreciate that this series had more intelligent world-building and detail in its setting than all of the braindead pseudo-fantasy nonsense we've had lately - and in spite of that, it's literally about a world where that world-building would have every reason to suck! Our villager heroine meets a suspicious guy who seems to be trying to save everyone from a monster attack, except that the big reveal at the end (which is already given away by the title) is that he's actually just a bug tester and the entire world is a glitchy RPG. It's all been done before but my only real complaint here is that the story could have got to the point much faster without the need to save the 'twist' until the end; the designs are distinctive and there's been a lot more thought put into the storytelling than usual, so it ended up being a decently satisfying watch in spite of the tiredness of the premise. A standout in an overcrowded genre.

Red Cat Ramen ep1: A newcomer looking for work visits a novelty ramen shop entirely staffed by talking cats, who take their jobs very seriously and hire her to sit in the back room and brush their coats in between shifts. She keeps making mistakes which annoy some of the highly strung workers but her efforts earn her the trust of the others, and she seems to be settling in well as various cat-related gags play out in the sitcom setting. The visuals aren't great; I didn't entirely like the cats' designs and for a series which zooms in lustily on the noodles as though it's Food Wars or Delicious in Dungeon, rendering those noodles (and their toppings) as blocky, undetailed CG assets was a questionable artistic decision. And I think I'd have enjoyed the series more in bite-sized chunks rather than as a full-length episode full of noodles and cats.

The Elusive Samurai ep1: A refreshing, lively historical adventure story. This is a fairly typical tale of a young heir whose life is forever turned upside down by a bloody rebellion, but the combination of lovely animation, energetic scripting and larger-than-life characters made it an engaging watch from start to finish. The end of the Kamakura period and what came next is often passed over in favour of the courtly antics which came before it or the well-trodden drama of the Sengoku era, so I'm looking forward to seeing a less popular setting get its time to shine this season. It's always good to see a show which lived up to the promise of its promotional artwork.

Narenare -Cheer for You!- ep1: None of this really gelled for me; I didn't love the coloured outlines that made all of the artwork look indistinct, nor could I get into the introduction sequence where lots of girls with identical CG models and different heads woodenly performed a cheer routine. It felt too robotic to convey the excitement of the sport, which came through much better in the story itself. This first episode was quite slow overall, introducing several girls who will presumably eventually come together as a cheer squad but initially spending more time exploring streaming, parkour and foreigners non-consensually kissing people. There's a lightness to the physics which is obviously intentional (the girls leap ridiculous distances without a wobble) but at the same time, the Traumatic Past Event which haunts the narrative feels as though there's supposed to be a sense of controlled danger to the sport, so I'm struggling a little with how far to adjust my level of immersion. The girls themselves were fine but I think this show might earn more appreciation from genre fans than from me.

(I don't write things off entirely just because of CG - there was even a little in The Elusive Samurai - but when it's used to make set pieces or important moments pop and instead makes them look lame, it really takes me out of the moment!)

R

Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest episode 1 Whereabouts.

Mission: Yozakura Family episode 14 Out to sea.

My Deer Friend Nokotan episode 1 Crackers and cleaning.

Narenare -Cheer for You!- episode 1 Leap.

One Piece episode 1111 High maintenance.

Tower of God Season 2 episode 1 Five against one.

Sister Princess episodes 23-26 (Complete. Though not a bad anime it was on the dull side in places - hopefully the sequel can be more consistently engaging.) 3/5

Sister Princess Re Pure
episodes 1-13 (Complete. I found this to be in line with the first series, so still on the dull side but also fairly inoffensive.) 3/5

Special A
episode 1

Last edited:
A Nobody's Way Up to an Exploration Hero ep1: Well, the show itself was as uninspired as its title. The scenario is largely cribbed from Solo Levelling; the hero is an ordinary, modern day boy who delves into a real-world dungeon with limited success, killing the same weak slimes over and over for a small income while staff monitor his progress via security cameras. His friends wisely gave up on the dungeon part of the 'dungeon theme park' in the middle of town two years ago but the hero persisted, apparently for honourable reasons which have only been hinted at so far. Anyway, eventually he finds a magic card which lets him summon a female Servant, who is a cute super-powered dungeon pet girl who calls him her master and relies on him to order her around so that he can level up faster. He'll get a second pet girl in the next episode, it seems, but the show hasn't given me any real reason to want to continue; it's not offensively terrible, just lacking in imagination in pretty much every aspect of its setup.

VTuber Legend: How I Went Viral after Forgetting to Turn Off My Stream ep1: As advertised, the cute-as-a-button heroine is a streamer with an agency contract and a virtual avatar, but she isn't really popular until she accidentally broadcasts a night of drunken, horny ranting to her audience without realising. I found it disorientating that all of the VTubers apparently look (and dress) exactly like their avatars; presumably it's just to make the show easier to follow but it also made it weird when the anonymity is part of the appeal. On the plus side, there's a lot of bouncy energy and attention to detail in the show and I can see fans of the idol streamer industry getting a lot out of the ridiculousness on display. There's a lot of referential humour here covering online culture, drinking, anime and gaming, but I found the in-world streams just as tedious as watching real VTubers (sorry) so I won't be continuing to watch.

Wistoria: Wand and Sword ep1: A Harry Potter 'inspired' tale of a talented swordsman at a magic school where non-mages are considered to be subhuman. There's no trace of originality anywhere in sight - every single character feels as though they've been imported from another show - but it's so well-produced and handsome that I can forgive Wistoria a lot of its creative sins, including an over-reliance on characters awkwardly reminding one another how their own world works and people picking on the lead for absolutely no reason. It's unoriginal but it's capably made unoriginality, and for that reason I'd say that the fantasy/school crowd will probably enjoy this good-looking romp. Coming so soon after Failure Frame it almost felt like high art.

SHOSHIMIN: How to Become Ordinary ep1: The incoherent description on Crunchyroll didn't set my hopes high but this everyday school mystery-solving show - which is very reminiscent of Hyouka - was a good watch. I still find the leads' aspiration to be thoroughly normal quite dull but I'm sure there's a backstory there which will come out later, and the animation direction, while massively overblown for the amount of story on show, is very impressive. I think I felt more emotional resonance from the extremely simple destruction of food at the end of the episode than I have from all of the melodramatic magic-hurling nonsense this season so far; sometimes, simple things done well can be effective enough on their own.

R

Mayonaka Punch episode 1 Out of this world.

Shy 2nd Season episode 14 Runaway.

Spice and Wolf: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf episode 15 Stories of old.

The Ossan Newbie Adventurer, Trained to Death by the Most Powerful Party, Became Invincible episode 2 Teleported.

Special A episodes 2-13

Last edited:
Back