Your viewing journal

Shy 2nd Season episode 13 Interview.

Spice and Wolf: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf episode 14 Wine.

The Ossan Newbie Adventurer, Trained to Death by the Most Powerful Party, Became Invincible episode 1 Stolen thunder.

Senryu Girl (Rewatch) episodes 1-12 (Complete. A charming series upon rewatch, and the shorter episodes work well.) 4/5

Shadow Skill OVA
, Shadow Skill (1996) OVA, Shadow Skill: Eigi episodes 1-2

Well, the worst of both worlds.
Paid to have my TV repaired and it's lasted 48 hours. Now I'm buying a new one.
So I stuck on the last 3 episodes of Jujutsu Kaisen S1. It's finally over and can't see me continuing unless there's a super sale on.
Watched a bit more of Uzaki-chan and it's now going in to the unfinished box. Although might put it up for sale.
Thank goodness it wasn't a £45 title.

I finished watching Saving 80,000 Gold... last night and battles start in episode 10.

Watched last night:

Highspeed Etoile, episode 1
Astro Note, episode 1
Grandpa and Grandma Turn Young Again, episode 1
A Condition Called Love, episode 1
The Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten, episodes 10-12 (completed)
Tomo-chan Is A Girl!, episodes 10 & 11
Jellyfish Can’t Swim in the Night, episode 1

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Hashira Training Arc Episode 8 (Complete)

Mission: Yozakura Family Episode 13

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation II Part 2 Episode 48 (Complete... for now.)

My Hero Academia Season 7 Episode 9

My Wife Has No Emotion Episode 1

The New Gate Episode 12 (Complete)

My mother and I finished two of the Spring season series over the weekend:

An Archdemon's Dilemma: How to Love Your Elf Bride Episodes 11-12. This was a cute and entertaining series, and my mom especially enjoyed the little dragon girl For, as she reminded her somewhat of Anya from Spy x Family, whom she adores.

Unnamed Memory Episodes 9-12. Wow, this was by far my most favorite anime series of the Spring season, and I'm totally in love now with my official Best Waifu Of All Time, Tinasha. 🥰 Episode 12 was at first an extremely frustrating ending to the series, until I found out that a second season is coming in January 2025, which then turned the ending of this season into a pretty awesome and unique cliffhanger instead. It's going to be a grueling 6 month wait for Season 2 for me, though! 😓

Sound! Euphonium Season 3

After season 1 and 2 being a whole school year, then several movies and an OVA being year 2, it seemed odd to wrap it all up in one season. Still, they cut some of the over the top melodrama from the first two seasons and kept a nice pace for the final season.

A great end to the series if a little predictable, however it still gave me all the feels and sometimes predictable isn’t so bad.

Loved my time with the whole story and one to definitely buy if someone ever released all the other series and movies on bluray.

Space Emperor God Sigma - Episode 1

I finally get to watch this with subtitles! I watched this raw 20 years ago and it's always surprised me that it has never been fansubbed or available in English until this official release from Discotek (which I was so delighted about). The first 10 episodes were directed by one of my favourite mecha directors; the late Takeyuki Kanda. The first episode was a standard late 70's super robot introduction but I'm looking to re-watching it as I remember it looking really interesting and now I'll know what's actually going on.

All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku TV - Episodes 6 - 12 [Final] + Specials 1 & 2

For all it's tropes and lack of any real depth I have enjoyed watching the Nuku Nuku TV series, it was nice easy watch with a good final episode.

Kaiju No. 8 - Episode 12

Kaiju No. 8 has been a recent highlight for me and this was a great episode to end the first season with, really looking forward to more of this.

Was a bit surprised to hear you say that. At worst, I think I’d accuse it of being unambitious and lacking the kitsch charm of the original, but otherwise I thought it was a perfectly fine action series. At least from what I saw of it, never actually finished the show…

All I can remember was that I found it a slog to get through, I still have US ADV DVD set so maybe at some point I'll dig it out and revisit it.

GinRei OVAs

The Giant Robo OVA is an absolute favourite of mine but the GinRei OVA added nothing for me.

Sound! Euphonium 3 episode 13 To the future. (Complete. This ended up being very divisive for me, with the overall central conflict of the season, and how KyoAni changed its outcome from the source material being key reasons.) 3/5
I really loved this myself. What was the outcome in the novels?
After season 1 and 2 being a whole school year, then several movies and an OVA being year 2, it seemed odd to wrap it all up in one season. Still, they cut some of the over the top melodrama from the first two seasons and kept a nice pace for the final season.

A great end to the series if a little predictable, however it still gave me all the feels and sometimes predictable isn’t so bad.
I felt exactly the same on the breakneck speed of the movie and third season. They showed us all the usual festivals so guess didn't feel the need to focus on the music and prep around that, saving their time just for focusing on the characters. Though the music did come back in strong at the end and was also brilliant in that supremely confident intro in the first episode! What a way to come back after such a long gap. I felt overall it was a beautiful way to end the story and such a lovely epilogue to a great series. I need to go back and rewatch it from the start (will someone puuhhleeeassee release physical editions of these in UK?!)

I've been finishing up last season's anime (highlights: Kaiju No.8, Black Butler, Train to the End of the World, Tonari no Youkai-san, Astro Note, the first half of Yatagarasu) which means that it's time to start this season and grumble when the first few shows aren't as good as the stuff that made the cut last time around.

The Strongest Magician in the Demon Lord's Army was a Human ep1: This is exactly as generic as it sounds, and unfortunately its animation is pretty rubbish too. The main character is CG whenever he's in public because he wears a mask, which makes for lots of boring scenes of people thinking and narrating without anything happening visually other than slow camera pans over bland, cheap-looking art. Every aspect of the core plot has been done before in multiple different ways and seeing them all done again worse isn't very compelling; I have better uses for my time. There's a slave girl too, for those keeping count. Not a strong start to the season.

My Wife Has No Emotion ep1: A socially-awkward (understatement) guy gets so lonely that he tells his pet robot chef to be his wife. She acquiesces because she's effectively his slave and then he spends the rest of the episode working himself up into a horny frenzy over nothing. They're not actually married and she doesn't seem capable of any naughty stuff, so it's more a comedy based around some guy's uneventful non-marriage to a humanoid dishwasher, showing him making magnanimous concessions like offering to do half of the cooking when he's the only one who can eat and cooking for him is her literal purpose. The 'unemotional' passive aggressive attitude of the 'wife' is moderately amusing (the show could be quite funny if she just hated him), and if they'd lent into the marriage thing rather than the one-sided creepiness then it might even have been sweet. However, in the context of everything else going on in anime there are some awkward undertones. She kind of consented to their marriage but ultimately she has absolutely no agency in her life; either she's an appliance and the male lead is deranged, or she secretly has feelings yet is forced to be an outlet for his fantasises. Neither makes for the best viewing experience. The art style is a lot nicer than the last show but for some reason the android lady was given a fully realistic head and hair, but her mouth cannot move even though her eyes are fully detailed, which makes this a similarly static affair whenever she's the only thing on screen.

The Ossan Newbie Adventurer, Trained to Death by the Most Powerful Party, Became Invincible ep1: This series was much better than the last two, which isn't a huge compliment. It started off well with the Kushida Akira OP and decent animation, which even has a discernible style of its own, but even the best efforts of the animation team couldn't do much with the lacklustre source material. The 'ancient' newbie hero (he's in his early 30s) spends the whole episode being sad that everyone thinks he's too old to start out as an adventurer even though it's blindingly obvious that he's the most powerful person in the Generic RPG Adventurer's Guild, and the strongest party in the world have apparently had so little to do that they personally trained him for two years. Given that he used to work in the guild, you would imagine that he would have an inkling that he's a bit overpowered too, but despite some early signs of self-awareness it seems that he's a super-strong passenger in his own life after all. It's a bit sad that his oldness is used as a gag (incessantly) but he never actually acts like a middle-aged man or thinks middle-aged man thoughts at all, which makes the whole series come across as though it was written by a teenager imagining how it might feel to be old. Weird.

TASUKETSU -Fate of the Majority- ep1: Finally, some (ridiculously high) stakes! This is Squid Game (or any of its inspirations) with the presentation of something like Yu-Gi-Oh! and if I was younger I think I would be all over it. Unfortunately, because I've seen a ton of these 'death game' shows before, it's obvious that all of the twists and turns are cribbed from earlier works and I never found myself swept away by its intentionally bonkers premise, about a population being rapidly whittled down to one person by way of an all-powerful person (?) with full control over technology and people's lives. The storytelling is quite natural without the lazy expository monologues of recent LN adaptations but the characters are a boring bunch who haven't really established themselves (or remained especially internally consistent), which is unfortunate. There are occasional glimmers of inspiration, though, which is why I think it would be a good entry point for someone less jaded. It's not fine art but it might serve to entertain.

I'm going to treat myself with Oshi no Ko s2 next, which I expect will be awesome, but aside from a few surefire hits I'm honestly not sure what's going to end up on my viewing schedule this time around.

R

Awesome,
@Geriatric hedgehog I found a synopsis of the novels on Reddit. Looks like there are some small changes from the novel (they are under the spoiler tag)
Thank you very much for saving me the trouble of looking for this!! My subjective and kyoani-biased view is more in preference of the anime. I definitely preferred that Mayu retained the solo, especially as it was completely in keeping with Reina's character, and as it also held back on an even more saccharine ending than what we got - though this is one of those anime which is so well developed and likeable that I honestly would not have minded the most Hollywoodily positive ending either heh; in terms of romances, it didn't really matter to me that they went more Yuri, as romance didn't really ever seem a focus of this series and also it gave us the amazing Liz & The Bluebird; it certainly made for comedy with Shuichi's confession eliciting shock and horror 😅; also I assume it really added to the Kumiko and Reina dynamic; I liked the open ended nature, especially as I felt the yuri-ness was a tad bit closeted anyway with the implication of neither party ever likely to commit.

@Geriatric hedgehog oh I did see something else that gives a hint to the end romantic situation. Look at the last scene again and check out what is on her binder/notepad. Someone mentioned on Reddit and I would have never put 2 and 2 together but it’s clear as day if you know to look 🤣
Oh yeeeeaaah, you're right!! Perseverance pays off eh? To be fair I never would've remembered that until after being reminded when reading that link you posted heh

New Cutey Honey OVAs

I feel like Cutey/Cutie Honey is the perfect popcorn eating series. Just bonkers over the top action with comedy all in an OTT package. Somehow this was even more fan service heavy than Re:Cutie Honey but somehow my mind just accepts it as Go Nagai being Go Nagai where if it was a modern series my eyes would be rolling so hard.

Anyway, it’s a total shame that the series just ends and it does not finish it’s plot… I guess it works out well that each episode works alone anyway so it doesn’t feel like a massive disappointment (just a little blue).

IMG_9468.jpeg

Back