Your viewing journal

Oshi No Ko s2 ep1: It's back and this first episode was a real treat, full of lavish animation which really showed off the shoujo-style artwork to its full. It was visually engrossing from start to finish! The subject matter is really interesting too; I've seen anime-based stage plays like this live and they really captured everything that makes them so engrossing, while using the theatrical backdrop to continue to frame the 'real life' dramas playing out amongst the characters. Objectively not much really happened here; the ongoing mystery has yet to advance and there were a lot of new characters taking screen time away from the regular cast. Nonetheless, I was fully engaged throughout and am greatly looking forward to the next episode.

Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian ep1: Our everyman nerdy schoolboy has befriended the stuck-up half-Japanese girl who sits next to him, supposedly unaware that beneath her frosty exterior she's constantly joking with herself about how much she likes him in Russian. Unfortunately, the hero happens to be (implausibly) good at Russian himself thanks to the influence of a Mysterious Childhood Friend Whose Name He Has Forgotten, so he can understand every embarrassing remark she makes. Not my cup of tea, but if you're into romantic school hijinks with tsundere this will definitely scratch that itch. The artwork is slick and attractive. And thank goodness that the hero is at least moderately likeable; he should really tell her that he can understand but since the situation is her fault I can see why he hasn't.

R

Ayla Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian episode 1 Peek.

Oshi no Ko 2nd Season episode 12 Easy to grasp.

The Misfit of Demon King Academy II Part 2 episode 50 Heavy load.

The Strongest Magician in the Demon Lord’s Army Was a Human episode 2 Spying and sparring.

Shadow Skill: Eigi episodes 17-26 & Shadow Skill - Kurdan Style: The Secret of the Lethal Martial Art OVA (Complete. The OVAs were decidedly more serious than Eigi, and despite the numerous adaptations this was a series I likely wouldn’t have discovered without an MAL suggestion.) 3/5, 3/5, 3.5/5, 2.5/5

The Garden of Words (REWATCH, English dubbed) - Still a lovely movie, with a solid English dub as well, I kind of like the shorter length for this one also and it makes a nice put on in the background kinda thing, beautiful visuals and music (Greenery Rain is amazing). I didn't mind the age gap romance too much here as they never consummate it while he's underage, also I'm not a foot fetishist but I appreciate good shoes and the effort put into mastering a craft, so that was nice to see portrayed, without the overly glacial pacing of some SOL series yet you still get a real sense of his skills improving over time :)

Fruits Basket 2019 COMPLETE (Seasons 1-3 and Prelude movie) (REWATCH, English dubbed) - Yep I still absolutely love this. It's a profoundly moving emotional drama and I get a lot out of it every time I revisit it, and I love how it emphasises the value of all sorts of different people as regards personality :)

Kokoro Connect COMPLETE (English dubbed) - Def glad I finally watched this show, I really enjoyed it and almost wish there was more, very good dub too IMO (I picked it up cheap on US import Blu-ray on Amazon UK coming from Amazon US), the arcs were really interesting in their conceits and execution, and the cast of characters were varied and complex, without meaning to bash K-ON! I would like to say to people who didn't like K-ON!, and are put off by the shared character designer, that this is not a moe series and the female characters are pretty multi-dimensional and not just balls of overly innocent for their age childish cuteness, so even if you're not a moe person Kokoro Connect is def worth a look :)

My Love Story!! Episodes 1-9 (REWATCH, English dubbed) - So cute, sweet and funny! XD

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 4 Episodes 2-5 (REWATCH) - With Friend B, continues to be amazing and Beer Bad isn't as rubbish as everyone says IMO :)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 2 Episode 2 (REWATCH) - With Friend C, Spike and Drusilla are such fascinating characters :)

Lupin the Third Part 5 Episodes 14-15 (English dubbed) - Kinda with Friend D but mostly watched these two eps on my own, will prob save the rest for viewing with them though, still a lot of fun :)

Cardcaptor Sakura Episodes 5-9 (REWATCH, English subbed) - Awwwwww! This show continues to delight me :)

Also rewatched the first few episodes of The Irresponsible Captain Tylor TV (English dubbed) with someone new (let's call them Friend E :p ), but we were uhhh "busy" so didn't pay that much attention to it tbh, great show though! :)

I really wish I were better at these write ups lol it's mostly just a series of positive-adjective gushing on my part XP

Days with My Stepsister Episode 1

Shy Season 2 Episode 13

Spice and Wolf: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 14

The Ossan Newbie Adventurer, Trained to Death by the Most Powerful Party, Became Invincible Episode 1

Pseudo Harem episode 1 Acting up.

She and Her Cat Everything Flows OVAs 1-4 (Complete. A short but emotional story from Makoto Shinkai.) 3.5/5

She, The Ultimate Weapon
episodes 1-13 (Complete. A tragic, albeit at times repetitive, story that served as a solid drama.) 3.5/5

Shounen Onmyouji
episode 1

Last edited:
I've been out drinking and playing darts.
Now staying at my mum and dad's.
They've got netflix.
I'm watching Overlord S2. Previously watched S1.
Has the subtitles by netflix calmed down the language and the intent?? Right word??
It doesn't seem to have the impact I remember from the DVDs. I'm at the Sebas saves Tuarte and storms the Eight Fingers brothel.
I'm also thinking of the S1 bit when Momo is fighting the mad lassie during the skeleton dragon bit.
I am rather drunk but I did finish 63 with 13 and the bull. 🥳

Twilight Out of Focus ep1: I've been following Sarah's reviews of the original BL manga here on AUKN so I was looking forward to the anime adaptation, and so far I'm enjoying it. The characters are presented quite maturely (despite being dorks at times) which is a refreshing change from the usual 'teenagers behaving like preteens' formula of most school shows. The character dynamics in the film club are a bit reminiscent of the game Jack Jeanne, even though that's more about acting than production, and their shared enthusiasm for working on their intriguing new project (a BL film) is charming. The roommates who are central to the main story are interesting too, and while not much has happened yet I'll be tuning in for the next episode to see how things develop.

Senpai is an Otokonoko ep1: A boy who has always loved girly things attends school dressed as a girl, and one day a younger student mistakenly confesses her love to her beautiful senpai. Much to his surprise, she isn't put off at all when he explains that he's actually a boy. He turns her down for a multitude of reasons - not least of which is his lack of attraction - but she sticks around and proves herself to be plucky, loyal and unafraid of the risk of being bullied, and in spite of initially clashing with the lead's protective childhood friend a genuine friendship seems to be budding in all directions. While I have used male pronouns for the lead as he identifies as an otokonoko, the final scene implied that his cross-dressing during the school day is the only way he can express his yearning to be his true self, so perhaps we'll see him accepting that and getting past the issues his gender essentialist mother seems to have tried to instil. I had initially worried that the show might be awkward but it's actually rather sweet! It's a mess visually, though, alternating (literally) between its normal, attractive designs and super deformed caricatures - except the SD parts are very sloppily animated and they cut between the styles so rapidly that it looks rough. It's the first time in many years of anime watching where I've found SD scenes aggressively distracting; I'd probably keep watching if the show looked a bit better but if the very first episode is already taking so many shortcuts, it doesn't bode well for the rest.

R

The Comic Artist And His Assistants complete series and OVAs: very silly show. The artist is the typical panties obsessed creep lusting after all the girls around him (if he's so creepy, why is he always surrounded by sexy ladies?). Sometimes I worry about the people who draw manga. Occasionally entertaining, over the top fan service and constant thoughts of "what a bunch of idiots. Why would they do that!?".

Now on to High School DXD, which I am sure will be a classy and sophisticated series with a solid plot and mature characters ....

I've finished the Grimm Variations.
Episodes 1-3 were excellent.
Cinderella nicely unsettling.
Red Riding Hood has action.
Hansel and Gretel 🤫

The last 3 episodes were poor, although I did really like the ending of the Pied Piper.

I've given up on
Golden Kamuy and City Hunter Live Action.
Will try again with Godzilla Minus One.
My Mum came into the living room after Godzilla's first appearance but before his second.
She says "Oh this looks quite good"
Me It's not what you think
Her What Zombies?
Me Godzilla
Her That's just as bad. 😁

Yowamushi Pedel: Grande Road aka Season 2

24 episodes in 3 days to finish off the Inter High race. Another fantastic season of the series, it was cool to see some new foils for the heroes as well as rounding out more background on the existing antagonists.

I’m having to stop myself from going straight into season 3 right now 🤣

Dungeon People episode 1 Safe zone.

Quality Assurance in Another World episode 1 To protect.

That Time I Got Reincarnated As a Slime Season 3 episode 62 King.

Shounen Onmyouji episodes 2-26 (Complete. Another solid fantasy anime from the backlog.) 3.5/5

Last edited:
Code Geass: Rozé of the Recapture [English Audio] - Episode 3:
perhaps starting to position the story into an interesting direction, but unsure with how light it has been in the details. this marks the end of the first 'film' too. introduction of sorts to some of the 'Neo-Britannians' including the char clone (voiced by Dan Green, which I found funny). spoilers for the episode with Sakuya also have seemingly given the geass by L.L. (Lelouch's name after the events of Re;surrection), I wonder how standalone this will be in the end.
Also noticed that (not a spoiler directly but could well be a spoiler by observation) in the English credits, Kate Higgins is in the additional voices, playing a reporter. quite possibly there because she will maybe make a small appearance as C.C. too (not uncommon for smaller roles to be doubled up for various reasons)

Yes that's generally how I felt about it, although I did like the character design in the Town Musicians episode.
Yes but I've seen so many Westerns that the story didn't have much impact on me. Funnily enough one of my favourites is on now.
Ride the High Country.
I wish I could shout from the rooftops about Hansel and Gretel. Anything would be a spoiler though.

Kamikatsu Working with God in a Godless World
Disappointed. I'm trying to be careful with choices but it doesn't always work.
This should have been me all over.

Back