Your viewing journal

MAYONAKA PUNCH ep1: Another show about streamers, this time featuring a traditional YouTuber who gets cancelled and fired when she assaults her co-hosts (who are, awkwardly, also her housemates). She's a bit of a narcissist so she immediately tries to strike out on her own without so much as an acknowledgement of her past mistakes, but when she finds herself struggling she ends up crossing paths with a thirsty vampire. Which in turn leads to an unlikely team-up to give her new channel a boost in popularity. The vampire girl is good fun but the lead is quite annoying, so I couldn't really get into the story as long as I was supposed to be rooting for her. It's a very lively, dynamic show, though, with a good set of opening credits. My partner is going to continue with it so I guess I'll find out what happens next whether I want to or not!

Plus-Sized Elf ep1: This is exactly the kind of show that all of the promotional materials promised, for better or worse. It's super dumb and it doesn't care. I'm not into this kind of fetishisation or the nascent relationship dynamic so I'm out, but it's honest about what it is and I guess shame-fuelled weight gain comedy is a step above some of the toxic awfulness the isekai genre often falls back upon. Though it's sad that it is.

Pseudo Harem ep1: I don't have any strong feelings about this. It did not hold up well at all against Shoshimin (for being a school series about a boy/girl combo) or Twilight out of Focus (for being a school series with acting themes), and I felt quite bored watching it in spite of how hard one of my favourite female seiyuu was working to carry the story. It always breaks my immersion when a romantic comedy (or regular romance show) has one character who is the perfect fantasy - in this case, it's the female lead, who is an aspiring actress who bounces between archetypal roles to delight her new buddy - while the other is a bland nobody, which is very much the case here. It's really hard to see why she's putting in so much effort for him but at least their dynamic is relatively healthy, with both characters comfortable enough to say no to one another and nothing weird going on. There's no actual plot so the series relies on the central dynamic for its appeal, and unfortunately that isn't really doing anything for me.

The Magical Girl and the Evil Lieutenant Used to Be Archenemies ep1: I watched this right after Pseudo Harem and the central dynamic works so much better; everyone is attractive and the stupid plot is pitched just right to tickle me. It's a parody in a long line of similar shows exploring the idea of a villain falling for one of their enemies; while the magical girl theme is very 'classic Sailor Moon' there are nods to other genres and magical girl tropes along the way. The lovely designs, dorky humour and short runtime (it's a half-length episode) make this a fun diversion rather than a slog so I think I'll keep watching as it airs.

No Longer Allowed in Another World ep1: Another parody, this time of the oversaturated isekai genre - and this one doesn't hold back in some of its snarkier genre commentary. I have mixed feelings about framing all of the jokes around suicide when the central character is an actual person who died in (some people's) living memory; Bungo Stray Dogs has the same schtick but this feels a lot darker because the entire story revolves around the lead's depression. At the same time, having a lead who is intelligent, accomplished, independent - and most of all has actually lived a little - really does wonders for the tired isekai formula, even if he's essentially just a grouch for the bulk of his screentime. The cynicism feels more earned when the lead is older and genuinely world-weary, and I was surprised by how watchable this ended up being.

R

I was Reincarnated as the 7th Prince
What's with that outfit. Just my humour.

7th Time Loop
Wasn't sure about this one but the MC is rather likeable and I want to know how she's going to move forward.

Seirei Gensouki
Good set-up. Angry young man.

All episode 1.
Based on what I've watched, I think I'm going to enjoy these.

Rosario + Vampire (English) - Episode 1 - 13 (Complete)

I've been watching this with a friend for the past few days as she watched this a lot when she was younger and wanted to show it to me. This was a fun ecchi comedy series, very silly but has that 2000's era charm, liked it quite a bit.

We'll start S2 next time we hang out for a few days.

Day's with My Stepsister Episode 2-3

Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest Episode 1

Mission: Yozakura Family Episode 14

Shy Season 2 Episode 14

Spice and Wolf: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 15

The Ossan Newbie Adventurer, Trained to Death by the Most Powerful Party, Became Invincible Episode 2

Wistoria: Wand and Sword Episode 1

Angel Cop - Episodes 1 - 6 [Final]

I last saw this on VHS in the 90's and while I remember liking it my memory of it was a little hazy. I really enjoyed watching it again, it's a solid violent action anime with a decent plot. I watched the uncensored subtitles because I've read so much about it and I'll admit that premise is kinda odd! Discotek have done an amazing remaster and each of the episodes looks fantastic, there is also a very informative extra that explains the background to the original context of the OVA.

Grendizer U - Episode 1

Well, this was very dull and looked horrible with it.

Space Emperor God Sigma - Episodes 2 - 4

Angel Cop - Episodes 1 - 6 [Final]

I last saw this on VHS in the 90's and while I remember liking it my memory of it was a little hazy. I really enjoyed watching it again, it's a solid violent action anime with a decent plot. I watched the uncensored subtitles because I've read so much about it and I'll admit that premise is kinda odd! Discotek have done an amazing remaster and each of the episodes looks fantastic, there is also a very informative extra that explains the background to the original context of the OVA.

Grendizer U - Episode 1

Well, this was very dull and looked horrible with it.

Space Emperor God Sigma - Episodes 2 - 4
I’m looking forward to going back and watching those subs. On the day I watched it, I was feeling more in the mood for manga 90s dub with all the stupid swearing. Great series dubbed even if the OG sub has its issues.

A bit of Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs for relaxin, then Chillin' in My 30s After Getting Fired from the Demon King's Army after getting fired. I enjoyed it, but I have some serious questions about what Malika is, and how strong their kid is going to be. My pet theory is she is half-demon and little Gran is destined to take over the world.

Ayla Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian episode 2 Super spicy.

Oshi no Ko 2nd Season episode 13 Give and take.

Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World Season 2 episode 1 The indirect route.

The Strongest Magician in the Demon Lord’s Army Was a Human episode 3 Two choices.

Stars Align episodes 5-12 (Complete. It’s a damn shame the production got cut short as this anime ends very abruptly and showed promise.) 3.5/5

STRAIN: Strategic Armored Infantry
episodes 1-4

Last edited:
7th Time Loop
Episodes 2-4
I am absolutely loving this. Missed the start of the football to squeeze another episode in.
What a dance.

7th Time loop is really good, enjoy it! In a similar vein of storytelling are Why Raeliana Ended Up at the Duke's Mansion, and Doctor Elise: The Royal Lady with the Lamp, if you haven't seen those series yet - although, 7th Time loop is probably my favorite of the three.

7th Time loop is really good, enjoy it! In a similar vein of storytelling are Why Raeliana Ended Up at the Duke's Mansion, and Doctor Elise: The Royal Lady with the Lamp, if you haven't seen those series yet - although, 7th Time loop is probably my favorite of the three.
Not sure why she's the Villainess.
Hopefully there will be a scene like this.

Attachments

• thevillainess-movie-stills-jungbyeonggil.jpeg
    thevillainess-movie-stills-jungbyeonggil.jpeg
    719.1 KB · Views: 2
Reincarnated as a Sword complete season 1: I must admit I was getting a bit bored by episode 5, what with the masses of plot exposition and the constant "kill monster, take crystal, get stronger, repeat". It got much better after Fran found there were some people and monsters that she was weaker than. Cruel and heartless cliffhanger ending, although who knows, I may have got through my backlog by the time season 2 is available,

Some stuff from the last week that I’ve not had a chance to update on…

Okkino’s Inn Film
Great little film that I watched with my daughter. Hindsight, it was prolly a little too heavy for a 4 year old but she enjoyed it. Some great emotional scenes, a part of me would have preferred this to become a series as it seemed to be divided up into mini arcs for each guest, so even if it was a 6 part OVA series, that would have been great just to spend more time in this world.

A Women Called Fujiko Mine Series
I’ve been on a Lupin kick and this was a banging series. The ending was quite a kick to the heart, ouch! Some great comedy, capers and getting to see Goemon in a wig and dressed as Fujiko was worth the price of entry.

Lupin III: Jigen’s Gravestone / Goemon’s Bloodspray / Fujiko’s Lie OVAs
More great Lupin action. I liked all three about as equally as I could. If I was pressed I’d say Jigen’s Gravestone was slightly above the others but that’s if I’m splitting hairs. I loved that they could be watched in isolation but if watched in order they give a fuller story.

Okkino’s Inn Film
Great little film that I watched with my daughter. Hindsight, it was prolly a little too heavy for a 4 year old but she enjoyed it. Some great emotional scenes, a part of me would have preferred this to become a series as it seemed to be divided up into mini arcs for each guest, so even if it was a 6 part OVA series, that would have been great just to spend more time in this world.

There is a series! I've not seen it though, and not sure if it's streaming anywhere, but it does exist :)

Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feeling's in Russian Episode 2

Love Is Invisible by Twins Episode 1

No Longer Allowed in Another World Episode 1

Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World Season 2 Episode 13

The Magical Girl and the Evil Lieutenant Used to Be Archenemies Episode 1

The Strongest Magician in the Demon Lord's Army was a Human Episode 3

Back