Your viewing journal

Le Chevalier D'Eon episodes 19-24: and we're done. A bloody conclusion with betrayals coming thick and fast. I still have no idea who some of the characters were or their motives. I enjoyed the series, but I can't say I followed all the plot twists.

I Shall Survive Using Potions! (English Dub) Episode 6

Management of a Novice Alchemist (English Dub) Episode 10

A Returner's Magic Should Be Special Episode 9 Objective.

I Shall Survive Using Potions! Episode 9 Hotsprings.

Spy x Family Season 2 Episode 34 Sentimental.

Tearmoon Empire Episode 9 Insurrection.

The Demon Sword Master of Excalibur Academy Episode 10 Ruins.

Rising of the Shield Hero S2
Episodes 8-13
All done and a chore. The MC made that annoying sound far too much. If they cut out everyone using each others name every sentence they could have reduced the show by half. Think I'll end this here.

Sgt Frog episodes 119-127: while I enjoy this show, I do think a disc with 20 hours of episodes is a bit much, especially as it's the sort of comedy where you dare not take your eyes off the screen for a moment. Two more weeks until the invasion deadline counter reaches zero. And that's the mid-point of this BluRay.

Spy x Family Season 2 (English Dub) Episode 31-32

Berserk of Gluttony Episode 10 Targeted.

Overtake! Episode 10 On the limit.

The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, REALLY Love You Episode 9 Meddling mother.

The Family Circumstances of the Irregular Witch Episode 11 Advice.

Dark Gathering episode 22 Scouted.

MF Ghost episode 10 A better picture.

One Piece episode 1086 An unlikely alliance.

Overtake! episode 10 Losing time.

Shangri-La Frontier episode 10 Web of fear.

THE IDOLM@STER Million Live! episode 9 Improving.

Jyu-Oh-Sei: Planet of the Beast King episodes 10-11 (Complete. I didn’t get a lot out of this series but it was fairly short at least.) 2.5/5

K (Rewatch)
episodes 1-13 (Complete. It’s been a long while since I watched this for the first time and it was another nice rewatch to do, especially with the other entries now out from ATA.) 3.5/5

K: Missing Kings (Film)
A solid film to bridge the gap between seasons. 3.5/5

K: Return of Kings
episodes 1-5

Ranma 1/2 OVA Series - Episodes 10 & 11 [Final] (Blu-ray)

The OVA series finishes off with another couple of really good episodes.

Aim for the Ace: The Movie (Blu-ray)

I'm sure I've read on these forums (I think it was @Professor Irony) that this movie is like a taster for the main series and I would agree with that. The movie follows the core plot beats of the TV series and condenses them down into 88 minutes by shedding most of the more intimate character development and pretty much all of the sub-plots, but it was still very enjoyable and had some really creative visuals like the TV series. I don't think the movie is a substitute for the main TV series as I think the TV series is fantastic and lives up to the hype about it but if you're unsure about watching a 50 year old anime, watch the movie and if you like it then definitely watch the TV series.

Golden Warrior Gold Lightan - Episodes 24 - 26

LBX Girls
Episodes 11+12
It had a straightforward story, didn't try to overthink. The girls were typical but likeable. Reminded me of Dolls Frontline in that they're trying to simply be enjoyable.
And an ending.🥳

The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, REALLY Love You (English Dub) Episode 6

A Playthrough of a Certain Dude's VRMMO Life Episode 10 Frisky furries.

I'm In Love with the Villainess Episode 10 Rival.

Shy Episode 10 Overworked.

Shy episode 10 Ice and fire.

Stardust Telepath episode 9 Empty spaces.

K: Return of Kings episodes 6-13 (Complete. A solid sequel series.) 3.5/5

K: Seven Stories
(R:B - Blaze, SIDE: BLUE -Sirius-, SIDE: GREEN -Overwrite World-, Lost Small World -Outside the Cage-, Memory of RED -BURN-, Circle Vision -Nameless Song-) A selection of side stories that were pretty good overall, with some standing out more than others as highlights. 3.5/5, 3.5/5, 3/5, 3/5, 3.5/5, 3.5/5

Under Ninja ep9

Getting a little frustrated with the pacing of this now; it feels like we’re setting up for the season finale, but the show still needs to get all the pieces on the board before it can really begin. I imagine it’ll be worth it when it arrives, but the balance of action to weird character exchanges seemed better handled in the first half.

16-Bit Sensation ep9

Ranma 1/2 ep35

Nichijou ep6-7

I’d be curious to know more about the production history of this series; for what is essentially just another school-set comedy skit show, there’s some really great animation going on here. Not just in the obvious set-pieces, but even in attention to little things, like a lock of hair flopping out from under the elf-king’s crown while he’s being interrogated.

Marie Antoinette (2006, Sofia Coppola) - I have sooo much to say about this that is hard to put into words... I absolutely loved it I wish I were better at writing reviews haha :)

It's a fascinating film with utterly stunning cinematography and production design the outfits!) My heart melted when she had her first child, a girl called Marie Therese "you are not what was desired, but you are no less dear to me" 😭 ❤️

A Certain Magical Index Season 1 (English dubbed) - I loved a lot of things about this series but the best was the bond between all the girls that make up the main cast, you could really see they were actually friends 🥰

Nichijou ep6-7

I’d be curious to know more about the production history of this series; for what is essentially just another school-set comedy skit show, there’s some really great animation going on here. Not just in the obvious set-pieces, but even in attention to little things, like a lock of hair flopping out from under the elf-king’s crown while he’s being interrogated.

That's KyoAni for you, from what I know they actually let their animators have breathing room and are all around treated like human beings which is why everything they do is high quality, don't quote me though.

That's KyoAni for you, from what I know they actually let their animators have breathing room and are all around treated like human beings which is why everything they do is high quality, don't quote me though.
That is exactly how they operate. They're also one of the few studios with a fully developed training school, often have series completed before broadcast and rarely employ freelance animators. So with them being pretty much the perfect vision of a healthy animation studio you can imagine how funny it is when MAPPA president Manabu Otsuka declares he wants to chase that reputation... by doing the complete opposite of all that. Truly is a wonder how his mind works.

That is exactly how they operate. They're also one of the few studios with a fully developed training school, often have series completed before broadcast and rarely employ freelance animators. So with them being pretty much the perfect vision of a healthy animation studio you can imagine how funny it is when MAPPA president Manabu Otsuka declares he wants to chase that reputation... by doing the complete opposite of all that. Truly is a wonder how his mind works.

Sounds like he wants the rep without putting in the effort to be principled? 😅

Sounds like he wants the rep without putting in the effort to be principled? 😅
Yeah I kinda went on a tangent there but it's just incredible how he sees a studio that healthy and thinks "Yes I will make my studio take on 10 projects at once, give them mere months of pre-production and let episodes broadcast unfinished". Dude's as far from Kyoto Animation as you can get.

Back