Your viewing journal

Frieren: Beyond Journey’s End episode 14 Gifts and giving.

Goblin Slayer II episode 10 Round table discussion.

The Kingdoms of Ruin episode 10 Grabbing hands.

The Rising of the Shield Hero Season 3 episode 48 Manipulator.

Undead Unluck episode 10 Beyond.

Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne episodes 34-44 (Complete. A solid magical girl series that I’m hoping gets a license rescue.) 3.5/5

Kamisama Kazoku
episodes 1-13 (Complete. A decent watch, though not overly memorable for me.) 3/5

I saw The Boy and the Heron tonight in IMAX with my mother, my oldest daughter and her fiance, and the next door neighbor couple. To be honest, I... didn't really care for it that much. It was Ok I guess, but it was even weirder than Spirited Away, and I'm really not a huge fan of that movie, actually ranking it about 16th or 17th in my list of Favorite Studio Ghibli movies. So Heron I'd be ranking even below that. I think Miyazaki should have just stopped with Wind Rises, that was a pretty good movie. Seems like Hayao been smoking some psychedelics again... 😁

12" x 17" poster of The Boy and the Heron movie, handed out at movie theater:

boyheronposter.jpg

Somewhere (2010, Sofia Coppola) - Not as good as Marie Antoinette but an interesting watch that held my attention well enough :)

Fire Force Season 2 (English dubbed) - Great! Can't wait for Season 3! :)

A Certain Scientific Railgun Season 2 (English dubbed) - Oooh so much good stuff here, more of everything I loved about Season 1 :)

Girlfriend, Girlfriend Season 2 (English Dub) Episode 20

Goblin Slayer II (English Dub) Episode 19-20

The Rising of the Shield Hero Season 3 (English Dub) Episode 45-46

Amagi Brilliant Park: entertaining story. Don't understand why they were struggling with numbers. Just advertising rides on a full sized dragon should be enough to attract millions.

Made in Abyss: Interesting concept. I see there are three movies and a second series after this. Maybe they will answer some of my questions.

Swing Girls: bought a bundle of mystery Asian DVDs, mostly for this movie. It lived up to my expectations. I had ordered the BluRay from Amazon.jp but the seller claimed to have sold it and had no more in stock. Oh well.

Detective Conan episode 1106 Trick.

Firefighter Daigo: Rescuer in Orange episode 11 Rappel.

Ragna Crimson episode 11 Mood shift.

Spy x Family Season 2 episode 35 Gifts.

The Vexations of a Shut-In Vampire Princess episode 10 Pictures.

Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens episodes 1-13 & Special (Complete. This was quite good, shame there wasn’t a second season.) 3.5/5

Karakurizoushi Ayatsuri Sakon
episodes 1-11

I Shall Survive Using Potions! (English Dub) Episode 7

Management of a Novice Alchemist (English Dub) Episode 11

Spy x Family Season 2 (English Dub) Episode 33

A Returner's Magic Should Be Special Episode 10 Foresight.

I Shall Survive Using Potions! Episode 10 Booming business.

Spy x Family Season 2 Episode 35 Gifts.

Tearmoon Empire Episode 10 Kidnapped?

The Vexations of a Shut-In Vampire Princess Episode 9 Photos.

Rewatched the final arc of Higurashi: When They Cry - Sotsu on Blu-ray with the English dub. This was mainly to see what it looked like without censoring but what I heard of the dub sounded pretty great as well, particularly Brittany Lauda as Satoko. May factor the dub into my rewatch next year.

Occultic Nine 1-12
I'm a fan of the science adventure series but somehow missed this one until now. The structure felt like shows like Baccano, Durarara etc, a thing I usually love. I was into it for the first half but the plot became increasingly daft and by the end it just felt messy and All A Bit Silly. Oh yeh and the other "plot" - one of the characters has massive Eiken sized boobs which the animators had a lot of fun bouncing everywhere, but eeeww sorry dawg that ain't my fetish

Occultic;Nine (English dubbed) - Just finished watching this today, I agree that it bites off more than it can chew but still enjoyed it, also yes her boobs were really weird, I like big breasts but this was just odd cuz they're completely too big for her body type and are drawn and animated bizarrely. Overall it's the kind of thing I could see myself watching and appreciating a second time (and I'd like to see if I can make a bit more sense of it with a repeat viewing) but all the Steins;Gate anime and Robotics;Notes are much better IMO (not seen Chaos;Head/Child so can't comment on those) :)

I had a pretty similar experience with Occultic;Nine iirc. There’s definitely something to it; it‘s an engaging horror story that has a sense of mania and unreliable narration that reminded me of Paranoia Agent, it just feels like they were in a desperate hurry to finish the story towards the end. I think the light novels were cancelled before they were completed, so that might have something to do with it.

Under Ninja ep10

Bullbuster ep6

It might help that I had absolutely no expectations for it going in, but I’ve enjoyed Bullbuster pretty consistently.

Occultic;Nine ranks very high for me. Likely among my top 20 series.
I think the light novels were cancelled before they were completed, so that might have something to do with it.
There was almost a whole year between the start of the anime and the release of the third novel so I think that's an unrelated issue. That said this franchise has been plagued with other problems. A lot of stuff getting announced only to go years without updates. Curiously despite it being 6 years since the third volume the light novels aren't actually cancelled. Apparently in September author Chiyomaru Shikura said the scenario hasn't been finalised yet as it needs to be consistent with other SciAdv titles.

Occultic;Nine ranks very high for me. Likely among my top 20 series.

There was almost a whole year between the start of the anime and the release of the third novel so I think that's an unrelated issue. That said this franchise has been plagued with other problems. A lot of stuff getting announced only to go years without updates. Curiously despite it being 6 years since the third volume the light novels aren't actually cancelled. Apparently in September author Chiyomaru Shikura said the scenario hasn't been finalised yet as it needs to be consistent with other SciAdv titles.

Yeah I mean I thought more of it than it's average MAL score tbf - I gave it an 8 and it's only got 6.something on there! Interesting to hear from someone who's a big fan of it, I could see myself getting more out of it if I watch it again, rn I'm in "watch dubbed things in the background while packing to visit my mum in a few days" mode, so not the most attentive viewer! :)

Now I'm watching Space Battleship Yamato 2199, I really feel for Magic Knight Rayearth S2 which I keep forgetting about even though I really like it, the only reason being cuz I'm sleeping in my living room rn (just for a change of scene and it's warmer) and MKR is in one of the players in my room so basically it's in the wrong place at the wrong time, SBY seems pretty lit too though am really getting into it :)

Back