Your viewing journal

Banished from the Hero's Party etc complete series: I enjoyed that although there were some questions about characters and motivations. Perhaps they will be answered in the upcoming second season. It's nice to see a story about a young couple trying to make a go of it, despite everyone wanting them to go back to their old job(s) of heroing.

Oh, and another dozen or so episodes of Sgt Frog. Still good silly fun. Just another 17 hours left on the disc.
Nice to hear. I ordered Banished recently as it was reduced enough for me not to be too critical.

Banished from the Hero's Party etc complete series: I enjoyed that although there were some questions about characters and motivations. Perhaps they will be answered in the upcoming second season. It's nice to see a story about a young couple trying to make a go of it, despite everyone wanting them to go back to their old job(s) of heroing.

I got the US Limited Edition box set for Banished - I didn't know there was a second season confirmed for that, if so, great!

I got the info from Wikipedia:
A second season was announced on October 31, 2022. It will be directed by Satoshi Takafuji, with Makoto Hoshino serving as chief director, and Studio Flad returning as the studio. The second season is set to premiere in January 2024.

So a (little) bit of a wait.

Jujutsu Kaisen 2nd Season episode 35 Adept.

Rurouni Kenshin (2023) episode 14 Devotion.

The Ancient Magus’ Bride Season 2 episode 37 Unorthodox teaching.

31 Days of Halloween 2023! Day V: Fright Night (Film)

God Mars
episodes 35-43

Last edited:
16-Bit Sensation ep1

The subject matter appeals to me greatly, but my initial reaction is that I want this to be either funnier or more informative. Most of the episode is devoted to setting things up, so it’s probably unfair to complain so quickly about not seeing PC-98 game design in action, but the show seems to be missing a lot of obvious jokes (are they really not going to show us this terrible game the mc is working on?). I’ll stick with it, but I think it’s going to be hard not to compare it with Shirobako.

The Family Circumstances of the Irregular Witch ep1

This is cute, but it’s rather full on for this time of night. Would probably go down well at an anime club.

KamiErabi GOD.app ep1: Well, it certainly wasn't boring. This is Platinum End reimagined by Yoko Taro, with the ugliest CG animation I've seen in a long time. The background characters all look like ugly, unfinished dolls, while the main characters look like ugly, misshapen, brightly coloured dolls. The plot is a typically crazy death game which rattles through every trope of the genre and would probably be pretty entertaining if not for the fact that every single frame of the first episode looked irredeemably hideous. I'm sorry. I'm shallow. But anime is a visual medium and I don't want to sit around and watch something which actively offends my eyes.

MF Ghost ep1: I was never all that into Initial D but it was one of those shows which was everywhere in the fandom of the time, and this standalone sequel is a fun blast from the past. The cheap, flat-looking artwork even makes it look as though this was animated back in the early days of digital painting, so I can forgive the goofier plot elements and treat it as a time capsule of a long lost era (even though the manga is modern). The setup is simple; a young chap comes to Japan from the UK to reconnect with his past and gets involved in the local racing scene, with predictable gasps of shock and awe from the locals. The lead's grasp of intermittently-fluent Japanese peppered with English is frankly bizarre, as is his lack of knowledge of even the most common Japanese foods, but at least he's earnest. Strangely, so far this has become my partner's most anticipated simulcast of the season.

R

Golden Warrior Gold Lightan - Episodes 3 - 5

Kuromukuro - Episodes 21 - 26 [Final]

I was quite pleasantly surprised by Kuromukuro. The synopsis made it sound quite generic and it's influences were quite obvious but despite a few mis-steps along the way I enjoyed Kuromukuro a lot and I found the mash up of it's influences interesting. Plus it actually ended well which is always a big plus in my book.

Synduality Noir - Episodes 10 - 12 [Season 1 Final]

My interest started to wane through these episodes, I just began to get tired of tropes that were repeatedly trotted. It still wasn't terrible though and I'll watch season 2.

Blimey... I thought my last hiatus of about a month was long, now I've only just come back after 5 or so months, as a result, I have built up way too much to cover here so I'll point out some of my more recent viewings, sadly not much anime on my end.

Live action One Piece

As you might gather from my new (and actually first) signature, I am incredibly suprised by this one, it's actually pretty good... yeah, I'm as baffled by this revelation as anyone else, when this was announced I was naturally skeptical, putting aside the fact that live action anime adaptations are usually pants for one moment, how on earth were they to transfer One Piece's super wacky character designs to live action? the answer is that they didn't really, at least not with the anatomically out there characters but they did a good job of making the most of what they could within the confines of live action; it is worth noting that there are an absolute ton of changes from the source material, though the most important parts are left intact, I have mixed feelings about the changes with some being great, while others are not so great, if I actually get time to review this I'll probably go into more detail as I have not yet finished this (just one episode off) but yeah, overall, I kind of liked this one, it has a good mix of being dark and light hearted in the right ways and I actually like it's somewhat edgier tone because it gives a good balance with the lighter parts, it's a different flavour of a timeless story that thankfully doesn't mess around too much with the most integral parts of the original story, in any case, speaking of stuff I was not expecting good things from but was suprised by.

Despicable Me 1... I must stress.... 1

The first Despicable Me film was another big suprise to me, I nearly didn't give it a chance because I can't stand the minions... at least, if they are not restrained, though here minons are not actually all that bad, mostly just keeping to the background and leaving most of the action up to the true protagonist of this franchise, Gru, unlike any other Illumination film that I've seen, this one actually has clever writing, great character development and actual emotional scenes that are not forced or badly implemented, this one is actually genuinely good, which is surreal given Illumination's track record, this one gave me some hope that maybe I'll enjoy the sequel as well buuuuuuutt.

Despicable Me 2
Nope... at least nowhere near as much as I did the first film, the writing quality takes a nosedive, the minions are far more common here than they are in the first film, irritating the viewer and wasting said viewers time to the best of their abilities, and the best parts of Gru's story arc have already been told in the first film, it's not completely devoid of merit, it is nice to see how Gru has changed after the events of the first film but aside from a few scenes, this one is just ok at best and little more.

Sing
This is as far as I'm gonna go into the Illumination abyss I think, overall this one isn't great, it was just ok ish, I didn't hate this one but it wasn't that great either and when the elephant character was singing hallelujah I just wanted to watch Shrek as that is a far better film with that song... anyway I'd heard the sequel was better soooo...

Sing 2

This one is perhaps more enjoyable than the first as far as spectacle goes but I'm honestly not sure, the first film didn't make me feel much while this one just baffled me with some of it's story decisions, at best I can call this one a guilty pleasure because it has a far more interesting setting than the first film and visually it is great, it's just a shame the story seems to be missing crucial context for some of the character's actions; overall, this one was only ever so slightly better than the other Illumination films I've seen that are not Despicable Me 1.

Vinland Saga S2 Episodes 1 to 6
Now for some actual anime and back to something that's actually genuinely good, here we have yet another anime that I seriously need to knuckle down and watch for real, maybe over a weekend I'll try to binge this one like I did with the first because, just like the first, this one is also really good so far, it takes more of a slice of life approach as opposed to it's all action predecessor but it allows for more character development to shine, overall I actually really like Vinland Saga and I would watch more of it if I could just find the time to sit through the entire show as it does have that, just one more episode, vibe to it.

There's waaaayyy more stuff I haven't covered here but, well, that'll take all day and then some.

Girls und Panzer OVAs
Episodes 2-6
Highlights are the Monty Python joke and the hall monitors song in ep6 and the singing in episode Snow War.
Disappointed in the fanservice in ep2. Not necessary. Yes I said it.

City Hunter S1
Episodes 8+9
I'm still not really into this. Not liking the extremes between his intelligent, skillful self and the idiot.
So far, I can say there isn't an episode I'd watch again.

Dragonball S1
Episodes 16+17
Still making me laugh.
Of course the bull would be running the dairy and delivering milk in a helicopter.
That's their early morning training over, on to the morning training.😭

Last edited:
Reign of the Seven Spellblades (English Dub) Episode 12

The Devil is a Part-Timer!! Season 2 (English Dub) Part 2 Episode 23

Frieren: Beyond Journey's End
Episode 5

Girlfriend, Girlfriend Season 2 Episode 13

Goblin Slayer II Episode 13

Our Dating Story: The Experienced You and The Inexperienced Me Episode 1

Reign of the Seven Spellblades Episode 14

The Demon Sword Master of Excalibur Academy Episode 2

The Rising of the Shield Hero Season 3 Episode 39

Frieren: Beyond Journey’s End episode 5 The Undead and the well-fed.

Goblin Slayer II episode 1 Rookie wizard.

The Kingdoms of Ruin episode 1 Breakout.

The Rising of the Shield Hero Season 3 episode 39 Going underground.

Uma Musume: Pretty Derby Season 3 episode 1 Spotlight.

Undead Unluck episode 1 Spin and shatter.

31 Days of Halloween 2023! Day VI: Child’s Play, Child’s Play 2, Child’s Play 3 (Films)

God Mars
episodes 44-56

Last edited:
Frieren: Beyond Journey's End (Japanese) - Episode 5

The Stranger by the Shore (English) - Movie (Complete)

This has been the second BL I've watched after Sasaki and Miayno and this was really sweet and cute as well though a bit more adult in places and realistic compared to the former but that isn't a problem for me. I do wish the movie was longer though (the movie is around an hour in length) to flesh out the characters and plot points more but what we got was great still. Really nice art as well. Definitely want to pick up the LE now which is part of the reason I wanted to check this out as it is quite pricey for such a short movie but I enjoy it enough to shell out the money now for when I eventually do.

Seven Days War (English) - Movie (Complete)

I'm not one to really listen or look at review scores but this didn't have the highest and hadn't seen anyone talk about it but I'm glad to say I was pleasantly surprised and real glad I bought this now. It won't be the most mind blowing film and I've seen other anime movies with similar plots and themes but I found this really enjoyable all the same. A good movie about friendship and accepting yourself with a few elements in there that put a bit of a twist on things. Not sure what else to say really but I'd suggest giving this a watch if you got some free time and were on the fence about it, especially with it going super cheap on Rarewaves atm, alternatively I'm pretty sure it is on Crunchyroll as well.

HAL (English) - Movie (Complete) (re-watch)

Non-Anime

Loki (Season 2)
- Episode 1

Patlabor TV Episodes 1-33 (English subbed) DROPPED - I liked this but not enough to finish it in the end. I do still really like the first two movies and the 7 episode OVA series :)

Nurse Witch Komugi R Episode 1 (English subbed) DROPPED - I can see why some people on this forum are such big fans of this and I found it to be pleasant and cute with nice animation but just not funny enough to hold my interest. I might give it a couple more eps some other time before selling it to see if it improves, but for now I'm gonna watch Pita-Ten XP

Also still watching Horimiya (one ep of S1 to go!), Samurai 7 (12 eps watched so almost at the half way mark) and Magic Knight Rayearth Season 2, all English dubbed :)

Patlabor TV Episodes 1-33 (English subbed) DROPPED - I liked this but not enough to finish it in the end. I do still really like the first two movies and the 7 episode OVA series :)

Nurse Witch Komugi R Episode 1 (English subbed) DROPPED - I can see why some people on this forum are such big fans of this and I found it to be pleasant and cute with nice animation but just not funny enough to hold my interest. I might give it a couple more eps some other time before selling it to see if it improves, but for now I'm gonna watch Pita-Ten XP

Also still watching Horimiya (one ep of S1 to go!), Samurai 7 (12 eps watched so almost at the half way mark) and Magic Knight Rayearth Season 2, all English dubbed :)
Want a loan of my dvd of the original Nurse Witch Komugi? I preferred it.
A nice short 5 episodes.

Want a loan of my dvd of the original Nurse Witch Komugi? I preferred it.
A nice short 5 episodes.

I've seen it many years ago, it wasn't bad with the occasional very funny moment, and I've thought about watching it again to see if I appreciate it more now, but I'd prob buy my own and I've got a yuge backlog rn, thankyou so much for offering though! (I do still chuckle remembering that noise one of the characters makes shortly after dying and coming back to life or being in heaven something like that, weird how stuff like that stays with me for decades haha) XD

Back