Your viewing journal

Attack on Titan: The Final Season
Episodes 1-29
Ahead of the final, final part (for real this time) I finally decided to stick with Attack on Titan to the end. It's been a good season with fantastic setpieces, music, animation and direction. It's shown an impressive transition to a new team despite a year's preparation and prior commitments. Same goes for new composer Kohta Yamamoto. Though Hiroyuki Sawano's music is an iconic part of the franchise I think Yamamoto's score measures up well with past seasons. Sadly the season has been let down by poorly handled political themes that are hard to ignore. Glaring flaws aside, given Attack on Titan was one of my gateways into anime I'm still very interested in seeing how this ends.

Last edited:
The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent Season 2 episode 13 Cosmetics and coffee.

31 Days of Halloween 2023! Day III: Daughters of Darkness (Film)

God Mars
episodes 15-24

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation II (English Dub) Episode 25-35

The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent Season 2 Episode 13

Ayakashi Triangle (Uncensored) Episode 1-2

New season! Let's see how it goes!

My Daughter Left the Nest and Returned an S-Rank Adventurer ep1: The hero is a retired adventurer who finds a baby in the wilderness, raises her as his own and then sends her off to become an adventurer. The title contains the entire plot of the series, as usual, though to string things out a little this one doesn't actually tell the truth because as of the first episode the people-pleasing daughter is still trying and failing to return to see her dad while her useless adventuring guild (however did it survive without her?!) constantly needs her to chip in and help instead of getting her planned break. There are obvious parallels to Japanese workplace culture and there are hints that the dad is an important person in his own right, but the result is a boring episode about never getting to the point. And even if it had, the point would probably have been boring, so I think I'm out. It's just not entertaining for me to watch people going "Oh well, I guess I'll cancel my holiday again" when there are at least a dozen alternative arrangements that could have been made in any reasonable setting. I also think this would have been a million times more appealing for me if she was actually his daughter and the obvious secret to her great strength had more interesting social/narrative implications than "I just happened to find a super-strong baby", because at least then the dad might have had something worthwhile to do in the first episode.

Berserk of Gluttony ep1: I utterly hated every second of this, it's just the usual copy-paste embarrassment with stupid world building, pop-up menus, preordained RPG skills, impractical high fashion thigh highs on female guards and generic, weak-willed, internal monologuing characters who simultaneously know nothing about their own setting and yet blather endlessly like know-it-alls. My partner was hopeful when reading the blurb, saying that we might get a straight fantasy show as it didn't seem to be isekai. "Don't count on it," I said, looking at the copy-paste main character on the splash artwork, and lo, we both laughed bitterly when the usual tropes all came rolling out in the same pattern as always. A complete waste of time.

Shangri-La Frontier ep1: I expected to hate this one too because it's yet another daft VRMMO pseudo-isekai with a smug lead, except with the gimmick that the main character looks goofier. However, it was surprisingly decent. The lead doesn't look like a 1:1 clone of Kirito (SAO) even in the real world, the animation is way better than usual and - heaven forbid - the lead actually smiles in a genuine way now and then, grounding the series in something other than hatred and envy and all of the other nonsense that has stifled the genre for the last few years. I don't know whether I'll watch any more but my partner is definitely going to continue with it. It's nice to be surprised in a positive way now and then.

A Girl and Her Guard Dog ep1: It's another one of those recently-popular 'goofy yakuza' setups where a schoolgirl is trying to lead a normal life while her background in a yakuza family constantly gets in the way. This has a lot of elements which I normally like - silliness, thugs, dodgy relationship dynamics - but it played it so safe that I didn't feel much impact from anything that happened; I can't even work out what genre it's meant to be. It's not funny enough to be a comedy, it's not romantic enough to be a romance, it's not dramatic enough to be a drama. It just kind of exists, so I guess it's lighthearted slice of life in a silly setting?

Ron Kamonohashi’s Forbidden Deductions ep1: A typical detective show where a young detective ends up working with a cynical weirdo with a rather serious flaw. I generally like episodic murder/crime shows because even if the setup is tired, the actual crimes are usually varied enough to keep things fresh, so I'll probably stick with this one weekly.

Paradox Live the Animation ep1: I know this is just Avex's big budget rip-off of Hypnosis Mic (that's all I'll offer as a description because they're the same show) but did they have to also copy the horrible CG concert scenes? They look so expensive yet also completely fail to engage me as much as even the crummiest of non-CG or live action concert excerpts. The show was overall 'ok' and if the concerts were animated properly I might keep watching, but they completely took me out of the moment every time. I feel that strongly about it. Weirdly, Paradox Live made me remember the existence of Visual Prison - but it's locked away in Funimation hell, so I guess I can't go back and finish it to scratch that itch.

Frieren ep1: I love drowning myself in themes of regret and grief; even though I hate those feelings in real life they provide very powerful motivations for characters in stories. Having heard all of the hype over Frieren about how it explores that kind of content I decided to check it out. Perhaps its own fanbase have thus let it down by setting my expectations too high; so far I feel that Maquia's treatment of this kind of content was much better. Still, the show about the melancholy, unexpressive elf can have a second episode to see whether it's something worth me continuing (probably not, if it's mostly a heartwarming look at her using the new character introduced near the end to process the detached sadness she feels - I like my drama to be more melodramatic).

Shy ep1: While the splash art made this a hard sell and the heroine's wimpy bleating really didn't help, this show seems to be more than the sum of its irritating-sounding parts. It's a simple story: Shy is a superhero who is also cripplingly shy. So becoming the national heroine of Japan (I presume she didn't apply for the position!), wearing a skimpy superhero outfit and making important decisions has been hard on her, especially because she's only a teenager and seems to have no real friends. She has a setback and - kind of - works through it. That last part is important, because a lot of details about the superhero content still need to be explained and that side of things is far more interesting! I don't know where the series is going from here and so far, that's all it needed to keep me watching.

I'm Giving the Disgraced Noble Lady I Rescued a Crash Course in Naughtiness ep1: What if someone remade My Happy Marriage yet made it stupider? That question has been answered (nobody gets married, but the similarity still stands)! I went in hoping that even if the show was boring there would be plenty of naughtiness on offer, but the only cheeky thing that happened in the first episode was that the lead bought a girl some cake and affectionately watched her eating it. I don't really like 'pet girl' dynamics and I feel a little put out that neither the titular disgrace and naughtiness are particularly meaningful, so there's not much reason to keep watching unless you like know-it-all male leads or cutesy girls (of which there will apparently be several). It's slightly disconcerting to have Sugita Tomokazu in the lead role because the character is very similar to Gintoki already, and having his deep voice behind the lead's young-looking face makes me confused about how annoyed to be about the character's obvious foolishness.

R

Reacher
Episodes 4-8
Fight every episode and the bad guys sorted.

Birdie Wing
Episodes 9-12
I paused as the big tournament about to start. Still maintain this is Food Wars with golf. Mmm maybe I'll put Food Wars on (the chicken at the shopping district arc). It'll be the DVD of course.

The Eminence in Shadow
Episodes 17-20
I think I enjoyed this more than anything over the last few years.

The Misfit at Demon King Academy II (English Dub) Episode 20

The Eminence in Shadow 2nd Season (English Dub) Episode 21

I’m Giving the Disgraced Noble Lady I Rescued a Crash Course in Naughtiness Episode 1

Bullbuster episode 1 Bang of the drum.

The Eminence in Shadow Season 2 episode 21.5 Future considerations.

31 Days of Halloween 2023! Day IV: Flesh for Frankenstein (Film)

God Mars
episodes 25-34

New season! Let's see how it goes!

Always interesting seeing your run-down on new shows, you've more patience for trying stuff out than I do!

I usually cherry pick what I think looks good, and then try out 2-3 things that skipped my radar first time around after an episode or two airs.

Going to add Shangri-La to my list to try, you said it was pretty good and friend of mine mentioned it as well.

The Boat That Rocked - I remember reading some critics really trashing this movie but tbh I thought it was pretty fun and it was nice to see a Richard Curtis movie that wasn't primarily a rom-com even though I loved FWAAF, Notting Hill and About Time, this was recommended by my best friend and we watched it together, I def enjoyed it and the ensemble cast is great :)

SDF Macross (ADV English dubbed, rewatch) - Still a great series that holds up really well, and I really appreciated how it doesn't pit Minmay and Risa against each other for cheap laughs. The ADV dub is excellent and feels like a really good match for the material, and it was nice to finally see this in HD - the animation is laughably poor sometimes but when it looks good it looks very very good. I will rewatch this again at some point in the future, like in a year or two - count me among the protoculture addicts! :)

Magic Knight Rayearth Season 1 (English dubbed) - A beautiful dark fantasy series that I'm glad I've finally picked up on BD and started working my way through, I love the main trio and the dynamic between them and the dub is actually pretty good, though I am glad that they used the original Japanese OP and ED themes for all language options on this release, since the dubbed songs used on the Media Blasters DVDs kind of put me off a bit! I'm just starting S2 now and got a real chuckle out of Hikaru's older brothers XD

I've got about seven billion anime DVDs and BDs hanging around, so I'm trying to refrain (great word) from watching new stuff on streaming and concentrating on all these discs clogging the place up.

(The ones I really like get kept, the rest go to the charity shop...unless they've got a decent resale value)

So I've watched the first five episodes of Sekirei (DVD by Manga).

I've got about seven billion anime DVDs and BDs hanging around, so I'm trying to refrain (great word) from watching new stuff on streaming and concentrating on all these discs clogging the place up.

(The ones I really like get kept, the rest go to the charity shop...unless they've got a decent resale value)

So I've watched the first five episodes of Sekirei (DVD by Manga).

I'm the same as you, mostly just focused on my physical backlog on disc - I started watching Season 1 of Horimiya today as I recently purchased it in the Rarewaves Sale :)

I watched a few episodes of Sekirei years ago, it was decent and I don't have a problem with nudity or sexual content, I just wish it had felt less insulting to my intelligence (a complaint I have about many fanservice shows) 😅

@RadFemHedonist I read a few volumes of Horimiya a while ago and really liked it - I hope you're enjoying it too!

Sekirei is definitely a silly one. Maybe not as ridiculous as some I've seen bits of over the years (like Tenjho Tenge and Ikki Tousen), but still...

I think it will probably find itself on the charity shop shelf when I'm finished with it 😅

@RadFemHedonist I read a few volumes of Horimiya a while ago and really liked it - I hope you're enjoying it too!

Sekirei is definitely a silly one. Maybe not as ridiculous as some I've seen bits of over the years (like Tenjho Tenge and Ikki Tousen), but still...

I think it will probably find itself on the charity shop shelf when I'm finished with it 😅

Yeah I dig it, I also think that it's one of the shounen romances I've seen that feels most like a shoujo romance, and that's refreshing (though I'm not big on Hori's violent streak - I get that it's meant as a metaphor for being a sadist in the bedroom but like... I have mixed feelings about the portrayal as it turns it into intimate partner violence even if it's not played that way) :)

Let's get back to the catch up.
The Masterful Cat is Depressed Again Today ep 6
Packages.

Malevolent Spirits: Mononogatari s2 eps 10-12 (complete)
Unleashed, rock on, and decision.
A continuation/escalation from the first season so not much to add from what I said back then except it felt like it was building to a final battle only for the super badass baddies to wimp out when a few more characters showed up. Although in equal measure it would have felt too quick to get to the finale. Seems the manga has finished and the anime has done about half of it, so hopefully they get to finish it off.
8/10

That stalled again, that was a few days ago. Let's go again.
My Tiny Senpai eps 8 & 9
Vacation and closet.

The Reign of the Seven Spellblades eps 7-9
Sudden change, contest and hideout.

Horimiya: The Missing Pieces eps 9 & 10
Keys and scent.

The Duke of Death and His Maid s2 eps 7-9
Scars, glimpses of the past, and 2nd anniversary.

Sugar Apple Fairy Tale s2 eps 8 & 9
Check and mate!

Banished from the Hero's Party etc complete series: I enjoyed that although there were some questions about characters and motivations. Perhaps they will be answered in the upcoming second season. It's nice to see a story about a young couple trying to make a go of it, despite everyone wanting them to go back to their old job(s) of heroing.

Oh, and another dozen or so episodes of Sgt Frog. Still good silly fun. Just another 17 hours left on the disc.

Back