Your viewing journal

Malevolent Spirits: Monogatari 2nd Season episode 19 Collective.

Detective Conan episodes 885-890, 894-897, Detective Conan Movie 22: Zero the Enforcer (Film), 901

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (English) - Episode 16 - 28 (Complete) (re-watch)

This has been a treat to revist after not seeing it for what I think must be coming up for a decade. This along with Lucky Star and K-ON! is what introduced me to Slice of Life and more types of anime really outside of Shounen and Action as well as my love for KyoAni. This was a lovely nostalgia trip but was still very entertaining and holds up in my opinion, and that includes the Endless Eight which I don't hate, didn't hate it back when I first watched it and I still don't now, repetitive, yes, but I appreciate it. Though if you really don't wanna watch all 8 of them, I'd say watch the first two episodes of it and the last though one of the episodes in the second half of the arc had a cool clock shot I enjoyed, don't remember what episode exactly though. Next up is the movie which is one of my all time favorite anime movies and then the spin-off Yuki Nagato series which not enough people talk about, is such a cute series.

Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers Episodes 1-3
I’ve been liking this but it does not feel like the story will conclude at the end of the first and only season. Adlet Mayer is a pretty fun lead character. The smug little so-and-so is about as skilled as he says but also gets knocked around for his showboating. The Princess' design really throw me off. Something about her dress.

Gunbuster Episodes 1-2 - This is really cool. Very 80s. Some interesting ideas I’m interested in seeing how they pan out.

Leina Stohl: Legend of Wolf Sword - Episodes 1 - 3 [Final]

Lightning Trap: Leina & Laika

Having finished the main TV series I decided to watch the OVAs again (I've never watched them back-to-back) and all the extras that were on the disc. Legend of Wolf Sword is an interesting spin-off with some nice animation and Lightening Trap is still an oddity to me. The Pilot film on the extras was effectively an extended advert that was a bit rough looking in places but did have some nice touches and designs that the actual show would develop further.

Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex - Solid State Society (English dubbed)
I've had GitS:SAC on my 'must re-watch' list for ages, I really liked both series (especially 2nd Gig) and SSS when I watched them.

finally finished Zeta Gundam. really enjoyed it, especially the second half when things start hotting up. the amount of times someone would go on an unauthorised trip in a mobile suit made me laugh though, you'd think after a couple of times they'd clamp down on that sort of thing.
Really glad to see that you liked Zeta, it's one of my all time favourite series, and you're spot on about some of the stuff people seem to repeatedly get away with 😂.

I didn't dislike this show, but never finished it - I maintain that Stellvia is the best Tatsuo Sato anime, of the ones he directed (not a big fan of Nadesico either) :)
I think Stellvia is the best Tatsuo Sato anime as well.

Leda: The Fantastic Adventure of Yohko (1985)

Honestly, I should have watched this sooner. The plot, about a young woman transported to another world, is a bit familiar by today’s standards, but the action is very well done, and I loved the art design in this one. Unlike the usual visual tropes you’d expect in fantasy anime, it seems to be drawing heavily on the work of French artist Moebius, giving it a really distinctive look and feel.
That OVA is soooo good, I'm surprised you hadn't seen it before Prof! I can remember when I first saw it and had to watch again the day after I was so taken with it. I've actually got lined up for review on an upcoming episode of the podcast.

Last edited:
Detective Conan episodes 902, 909-910, 916-917, 919-920, 925-928, Detective Conan Movie 23: The Fist of the Blue Sapphire (Film)

BanG Dream! It's MyGO!!!!!
My current seasonal favourite. The latest addition to the franchise and perhaps one of the more accessible. The story has a heavier tone than past seasons but still maintains the energy the franchise is known for. Sanzigen's animation is great as usual.

Yohane the Parhelion -SUNSHINE in the MIRROR-
Really happy to see this April Fools' joke get turned into an actual series. It's fun to see all these characters again in a fantasy setting especially with Yohane as the focus character.

These looked interesting may check them out.

My Happy Marriage - wasn't sure about this at the beginning, as it seemed a little bit Too Much with the over-the-top misery heaped on the main character. really enjoying it now though, I am a sucker for anime with historical settings (they had magic in the past, right?!?!)

Am glad others are watching this show as it's got a lot going for it, highly recommend this! :)

These looked interesting may check them out.
Yeah they're both pretty good series. Both are quite interesting as shows from big running franchises that don't really need knowledge of previous entries. They also show a big shift in genre and tone with Yohane being a more fantasy based take while MyGO is more serious with the most toxic set of characters (except Tomori) in the franchise.

I watched Burn the Witch which I enjoyed, it met my criteria of being interesting and entertaining, and animation quality was good too I thought.

Shame there is unlikely to be much more for a while, as I think it would be a show that would be up my alley, the 3 episode mini series/movie feels very much like intro material.

Bungou Stray Dogs 5th Season episode 56 Off course.

Reborn as a Vending Machine, I Wander the Dungeon episode 7 Think a little harder.

Undead Murder Farce episode 7 Phantom.

Detective Conan episodes 941-942, 952-954, 971-974, 983-984, 993-994

Bubble (English subbed) - I rewatched this again during a recent date and both me and my date really enjoyed it! He said it was every bit as beautiful as he would have imagined it to be from the trailers I sent him. I wish someone would release this on Blu-ray! :)

Sound Euphonium S2 Episodes 1-13 (English subbed, not seen specials/minisodes etc, yet) - I really enjoy this series, it hasn't blown me away to quite the same extent as it has some other people, but def worth watching, I like that at least two main characters are obviously bisexual as well (even though I do understand why the show was classed as queerbaiting by some people, I don't really agree with that assessment). I loved the music but found it a bit odd that the characters only did music in music lessons and practice - generally I've found that musically minded people tend to do things like making music on whatever's to hand and stuff like that, much as I, as a visual artist, have a potent imagination and a deep an abiding love of all things beautiful and colourful. But that said, I guess I can kind of relate as given my various goal commitments this year (even if it's self-imposed and I'm really the only person holding me accountable!) I don't feel inclined to just sketch whenever I see something interesting - perhaps these students have gotten their fill of music from it's heavy presence in their scheduled routines?

Now watching The Heike Story (English subbed), and I absolutely love it! Currently on Episode 7 :)

Last edited:
 Gunbuster (English) - Episode 1 - 6 (Complete)

This was great, thoroughly enjoyed it and the Gunbuster itself is so damn cool when in action. Adore the style and aesthetic of the OVA as well, really enjoying going through retro anime lately and they look so good on blu-ray. Can definitely see how GAINAX went to Gurren Lagann from this, a lot of similarities. I'm not sure if they have or not but have Discotek (and by extension AL) mentioned any plans to release Diebuster in the future, looking forward to seeing more from this world.

Rurouni Kenshin (2023) episode 7 Antagonise.

Spy Classroom Season 2 episode 18 See you again.

The Devil is a Part Timer! Season 2 Part 2 episode 18 Army.

Detective Conan episode 995, 1000-1001, Detective Conan Movie 24: The Scarlet Bullet (Film), 1003-1005, 1011

The Heike Story (English subbed) - Finished this now, a beautiful story that had me crying like a baby by the end and the music production was phenomenal as were the visuals, I was utterly engrossed in Biwa's story. My favourite part was probably when
she goes to visit her mother and forgives her
😭 ❤️

One Piece: The Movie (Japanese) - Movie (Complete) (re-watch)

Now I own all the One Piece movies (apart from 3D: Mugiwara Chase which counts as the 11th movie and doesn't have an official English release as far as I know) I am going to attempt to watch a movie each day.

Starting with the original, I had seen this way back and remember enjoying it but re-watching I honestly didn't remember any of it so was basically a new movie for me all over again. This was a fun little adventure though, more of an extended episode, only being 50 minutes long. Nothing mind blowing and a preditcable plot but I enjoy early OP (I've only seen upto the end of where Chopper is introduced in the series) and this has the same charm as those early episodes, not much else to say about it.

Back