Your viewing journal

Raven of the Inner Palace ep 13 (End). I really hope this will be getting another season - not only is it the best show of the fall season for me, it's definitely one of my Top 10 Anime Of All Time. I consider it a masterpiece so far. So much like Mushishi with it's storytelling style, or even Natsume's Book of Friends, only with a Chinese setting and lore - along with some possible romantic interest if it continues. It is really fun to watch the chemistry between the Emporer and the Raven Consort develop throughout the series. And, the ED song is absolutely amazing, this is one anime that I actually watch the entire closing credits every episode instead of skipping because I love the song so much. The OP is decent too, except I don't care at all for the singer's nasaly, almost whiney voice - I wish someone else would have sung it. I did see there will be some sort of special event held for this series on April 9, so hopefully they will announce a second season then. A solid 10/10.

Last edited:
Burst Angel rewatch
Been years since I last watched it but it was great to revisit. It feels of its time but if anything that improves it! Although it does have some dark elements and some surprisingly emotional parts, it is overall a fun action show with characters you like spending time with.

The Muppets Christmas Carol
An absolute masterpiece of a movie. Michael Caine is so good as Scrooge! And playing him completely serious/dramatic was such a good call. Its hands down my favourite Xmas movie. As a child it was my first experience of horror and mixed with the joy and fun of muppets works so much better than it should. Its a perfect adaptation of the famous tale.

Violent Night
OMG this was so good! Equal parts hilarious and brutal, it was an absolute blast to watch this in the cinema with my mates! Probably my favourite David Harbor work yet. This will most certainly be going on a list of yearly rewatches!

Dune
My bro got me a few blu rays and this was one of them. Holy moly it was excellent. I had huge expectations but it still blew them out if the water. Exceptional art, design, acting, music, sound. Weird as hell at times but so good and still easy to follow.

Last edited:
Boruto: Naruto Next Generations episode 281 Diversion.

To Your Eternity 2nd Season episode 10 State.

Saint Seiya: Knights of the Zodiac episodes 70-73, Saint Seiya Movie 1: Evil Goddess Aeros (Film), Saint Seiya: The Heated Battle of Gods (Film), 100-103

Lupin Zero ep1

Seen a few negative comments about this, but I quite liked it - the image downscaling is ugly, but the actual show is fine. I’m not sure the writing is necessarily that much better than Part VI, but it really benefits from being an ONA, I think - you can see the amount of time and care that’s gone into the animation. I would rather that they’d spent a little more time setting up the characters, particularly Jigen (maybe this episode should have established how he acquired that gun in the first place?), but there’s something to be said for getting straight into it, I suppose.

Romantic Killer ep1-3

Seems well done for what it is, but whether I'll watch the whole thing, I don't know. I do like the design for the main character though.

Busou Shinki complete series: part Angelic Layer and part Adventures of Mini Goddess, this was an entertaining look through the eyes of a group of 15cm fully autonomous battle dolls and their life with their master (I think he was the only (living) human that appeared in the series). It was mostly very silly stories until they tried to get serious in the finale, which didn't really work for me. Worth the £5 I paid MVM last week. I like that the promo's for other Sentai shows includes Angelic Layer, just in case you didn't notice the very obvious connection.

Encouragement of Climb: Next Summit eps 10-12 (complete)
Spring came, she didn't see, she conquered.
Even though it started with 4 episodes of recaps there were still plenty of great moments in the 8 episodes of new material as they sped through the autumn and winter to get to the new Mount Fuji climbing season to right the wrong from Aoi's previous attempt leading to another great moment.
The backgrounds are gorgeous, especially when out in the countryside/mountains, with almost photo realistic views of nature. The characters are your standard CGDCT style, but nicely drawn and animated.
Even with the recaps I'll give this one an
8/10

Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War episodes 378-379 Number one! (Complete. I’ve been very impressed so far with this continuation of the series, though am still cautious as to how they’ll adapt the anime come the conclusion - hopefully they’ll pull it off.) 4.5/5

Saint Seiya: Knights of the Zodiac
episodes 104-114 (Complete. Having watched the series I can see how this franchise has endured, though outside of the immediate sequel films I’m not rushing to dive into the expansive number of series’ that came after.) 3.5/5

Saint Seiya: Legend of Crimson Youth (Film)
The premise here was initially interesting but soon treads familiar ground. 3/5

Saint Seiya: Warriors of the Final Holy Battle (Film)
This film also felt rather repetitive but was fairly short. 3/5

Saiyuki (Rewatch)
episodes 1-7

Last edited:
Future Boy Conan episodes 1-13: fun adventure saga. Lot of similarity to Nadia and some of Miyazaki's later films (mostly Nausicaa and Castle in the sky). Bit dubious about the introduction, which claims the planet's biosphere was irreversibly destroyed, when humans, plants and animals appear to living quite normally just 20 or so years later. I shall watch the second half tomorrow ... unless the mailman finally delivers my Slime 2.2.

Christmas Day:
My Hero Academia Season 6 (Japanese audio) - Episode 13

Today:
CHAINSAW MAN (Japanese audio) - Episode 12 (Completed)
SPY x FAMILY (Japanese audio) - Episode 17-21

Chainsaw Man Episode 12 Revenge. (Complete. A solid outing from start to finish for what has been imo this seasons stand out series when it comes to art and animation, which I would definitely welcome a second season.) 4.5/5

ONIMAI: I'm Now Your Sister!
Episode 1 Test subject.

Peter Grill and the Philosoper's Time: Super Extra (Uncensored) Episode 12 (Complete. A second season that delivers more of the same fanservice and mishaps.) 3/5

Chainsaw Man episode 12 Best contest. (complete. Though I did enjoy the series I don’t think it appealed to me as it has for others - some episodes left me feeling rather indifferent but others were very solid. I will check out the second season when it comes around though.) 3/5

Saiyuki (Rewatch)
episodes 8-31

Last edited:
Back