Your viewing journal

FMA 10 (C&P from MAL)

WARNING: spoilers are included. Do not read, Fabio!!!!!

You can't blame the second series for not making Hughes' death as emotional this time around. If you want to blame anyone, blame the mangaka for not showing Hughes enough before his exit. There was a lot of filler in the first series, and that allowed for Hughes' death in episode 25 to be far more powerful.

Anyway. The episode was very good, just like the previous one. It's pleasing me that, aside from the odd diversion, the anime is now being faithful to the manga.

In this episode, the changes were...

-- The Ishbal scene at the start. I've read 11 volumes of the manga and the story still hasn't covered Ishbal yet. But, in all honesty, I found it odd in the manga for Mustang to say Hughes was meant to push him to the top when a scene covering that hadn't been shown - it worked out better this way.

-- There were also a few very minor additions to the phone booth scene. In the manga, Hughes never reached for the phone or said some cheesy as hell last few words. I didn't mind Hughes reaching for the phone and Envy prenenting him - that made Envy look even more evil - but the obvious didn't need to be pointed out by Hughes. Nothing major was added, though.

I'm really getting into the anime now, having read the manga and seeing that, after a poor start, the anime isn't adding a silly amount of filler or changing the order of events for no reason whatsoever. My rating will stay at 8/10 for the time being, mainly because of the first episode, but if the series keeps going how it has been in the last few episodes then I see no reason why my rating won't rise to 9/10 - the same score I'm currently giving the manga.

just watched eps 1-7 of heat guy j not the first time i have watched the series just fancied watching something, as seeing as my anime is in a bit of a mess as ive run out of room again ~sigh~ I quite like the series tho so don't mind watching it again

Gunbuster 2 -- episode 3

I have no idea what’s going on. I thought it might be because it’s been a couple of months since I watched the first two episodes, but they made no sense to me either. There’s cute girls and giant robots and lots of spazzy FLCL/Gurren Lagann style action that gives me a headache and some cliché bullcrap about growing up and believing in yourself. The first Gunbuster wasn’t exactly free of cliché but at least it had heart and a fantastic director at the helm. The guy who did the screenplay for Gunbuster 2 wrote Melody of Oblivion. Explains a lot.

I know what the problem with the sequel is: I don’t care about any of it! This is awful.

Aion said:
MercenaryRaiden said:
Gankutsuou eps 7-12

Totally hooked. Just keeps getting better and better. And I still feel like i've seen nothing yet.

Ian%20Towle%20-%20slug.jpg

-1 for your speed.
+1 for you having taste.

Marathon 13-18. Post your thoughts after episode 18.

Ah hush you :p That's one of the reasons I registered here so long ago but not posted. No time for anything recently. It's all been work work work. Hence why I'm trying to get some free time back and watch stuff :)

I've got some time tonight. Will marathon those eps later! But on topic...

K-on episodes 3&4

Now I don't mind Moe shows but...I'm starting to feel like it's too moe. And yet I want to watch more...

-1 for your speed.
+1 for you having taste.
You didn\\\'t exactly watch it when it was first fansubbed either, Aion. You were probably watching the Chuunin Exams. lol.

Also @ FABIO: Watch episode 4 soon, the GunBuster spark is there! Though it\\\'s no where near as good as the original I still enjoyed it.

I watched episodes 4 & 5 earlier and, as a huge fan of the original, I'm genuinely sad to say that it's just not working for me. The lack of a cohesive story in the first few episodes has left me not caring about any of the characters. Hell, Nono aside, I don't even know their names. And, really, what the hell is happening? Space monsters keep appearing out of nowhere and characters turn emo and/or would-be rapist in a heartbeat. Who are the creepy twins and why the buggering feck is Nono a Buster machine? Either the story is a total unfocused mess or I've fallen asleep a few times and missed everything important.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... I think Diebuster's problem is that it could never hope to top Gunbuster, even if they aimed for it (ha! ha!).

Straight sequels / prequels of 20+ year old series are rarely any good, it seems they tried to do something noticeably different and modern, but in the same spirit as the original (something which is currently causing me to warm to Shin Mazinger, incidentally). I think it worked okay but it does perhaps highlight the differences between anime today and anime 20 years ago... and the latter does still come out on top in most respects.

Some people actually like Diebuster better. The poor fools :p

I have a similar problem with Gainax's FLCL and Gurren Lagann. Underneath all the visual flair and invention there's little to hold my interest. What the hell happened to the great studio that brought us Honneamise, Nadia, Gunbuster, Evangelion, and Kare Kano?

fabricatedlunatic said:
What the hell happened to the great studio that brought us Honneamise, Nadia, Gunbuster, Evangelion, and Kare Kano?
I think the answer is that it had to move with the times in order to survive. Tastes change, the audience's attidudes change - Sadly I think most of those would probably fail hard if they were released today. Certainly there's not much love for Honneamise among younger fans. I think both creators and fans have to compromise if they want to continue doing what they love. They have to give the largest share of the audience what they want, and we in turn have to put up with it or find another hobby. ::shrugs::

Honneamise bombed in 1987! I hear what you're saying but I'm only remarking on the output of one particular studio. Many of the others are still producing great anime that resonates with me, so thankfully I can just ignore future Gainax shows rather than find a new hobby.

I finally got around to watching One piece movie 6: Baron Omatsuri and the secret island. I was either a victim of samef*gg*try or it is held in high regard by the denizens of a particular board...

Anyways, I throughly enjoyed it. It looked like One Piece had been raped by Parakiss, but thats not really a bad thing. It was a breath of fresh infact. It was no suprise when I found out that the director was the same as TGWLTT's.

The first part contained your typical funny stuff but the second half was where ass was really kicked. The whole fight scene between Omatsuri and Luffy was action-packed and emotional at the same time. Unfortunately, I can't compare this movie to any of the other cause I saw the first one like 3 years so I can't remember anything at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
R.O.D the tv episodes 1-4

I have really enjoyed it so far

Love Hina episodes 1-4

I have also enjoyed it so far and I'm looking forward to the next episodes

Ah My Goddess episodes 1-3

Also enjoyed this so far and I'm also looking forward to watching more

Negima!? Spring and Summer special

Back