Your viewing journal

Mushishi V4 / 5 and just started 6 - why I'm so drawn to this sort of show? It's slow and beautiful.

Lupus said:
You reminded me to buy the last volume of Mushishi some time, Chaos.

First two episodes of Kino's Journey, I expected the bike to have like... human eyes and a mouth while talking the way Aion described it a while back, it's not even that bad. Last time I listen to Aion.
Go for it, It's a really good show. I'm amazed how the anime continues interesting, regardless of its slow pace.

Kino's Journey is in my top 1 for a reason =)
Mushishi just made me realize I do like episodic shows as well.

ayase said:
Cheapskate Packaging Prophecy No. 2: Cases with holes in to save on plastic...

Synchronised facepalming in three... two... one...

Yep My Sky Crawlers DVD was in one like that, the plastic is also very thin and flimsy.

Talking about Sky Crawlers, I just watched it a few days ago. Very good film it was to. I think I got most of the story down and what happened, but it is one I really will need to watch again sooner rather than later to see if I got everything.

Patlabor movies. Some of the best real robot stuff around, and what makes them really work is the story beyond just the Labors.

Lucky Star Volume 6. More of the same. I enjoyed the series overall, but I really can't see where all the hype came from.

J2. For not a very well known (not mentioned a lot) series I was impressed by how much I enjoyed it. There was a good mix of action and comedy. I was amused at how self aware it was as well, with things like a character saying how kick **** he was in Jubei-Chan which is the first series, but is now pretty crap.

Urusei Yatsura Volumes 14-15. I am not sure if it gets stale towards the end of 50 volumes, but it is still fresh at the moment. It is amazing how many good episodes they can come up with from quite a straight forward story.

I've been eyeing up Kino's Journey for a long while, if it's really that good I'll pick up the DVDs once my wallet recovers/I get through my other animes/whichever comes first. ^^ I've seen the first 5 episodes of mushi-shi and LOVED it, so it will probably be my thing.

Dracos said:
J2. For not a very well known (not mentioned a lot) series I was impressed by how much I enjoyed it. There was a good mix of action and comedy. I was amused at how self aware it was as well, with things like a character saying how kick **** he was in Jubei-Chan which is the first series, but is now pretty crap.
Jubei chan is a nice little series. The way it is conducted pleases me, the action sequences here were not as good as the ones in the first series, but the comedy is better, for things like the self awareness you mentioned. The girls transformation while wearing the eye patches are also fun, but somewhat weird.

iisan said:
I've been eyeing up Kino's Journey for a long while, if it's really that good I'll pick up the DVDs once my wallet recovers/I get through my other animes/whichever comes first. ^^ I've seen the first 5 episodes of mushi-shi and LOVED it, so it will probably be my thing.

Kino's Journey is an awesome anime!! Mushishi is also great and they are both episodic series.

Dracos said:
Yep My Sky Crawlers DVD was in one like that, the plastic is also very thin and flimsy.
Double humbug! First Sony try to make the title look like an action film on the DVD cover:
2z53sj5.png

...and now I hear they skimp on packaging material!

Fullmetal Alchemist 9-16

And with that the first collection is finished. Still hugely impressed with the quality of writing and the maturity with which the show's themes are handled. It could have been preachy but it's not. Also, Lust is hot.

I'm thinking I should pace myself with season 1 part 2 since the last two collections aren't due for another 6 weeks.

FMA: Brotherhood 10 - we all knew it was coming really, and it was done well i think. Enjoying the quality of the show a fair bit at the moment, and it seems to have gotten to the point of about a chapter an episode, much like Soul Eater, which works much better. So its not to slow, but not speeding through it either.

Gintama 8-9: More genius that is Gintama. Brilliant episodes and a good break from typical shounen shows. Got 10-12 planned for later on this evening so i'm looking forward to that.

Gokusen: 1-5

This MAL review quote pretty much sums it up:

"Original? No. The best ever? No. Amusing? Sometimes. Entertaining? Enough."

It's watchable but never amazing. None of the stories are ever very interesting, few of the jokes are truly funny, the art looks ugly and it doesn't have the depth of GTO. It's the sort of anime where you can get some enjoyment out of it but often find yourself looking at the the DVD timer.

Aion said:
It's the sort of anime where you can get some enjoyment out of it but often find yourself looking at the the DVD timer.

I've had a fair few series' like that :lol:

I remember the original Hellsing, I got minimal enjoyment out of it, and must have looked at the timer 3-4 times per episode :lol:

It isn't as bad as Hellsing. I wasn't saying Gokusen is terrible; I was saying time doesn't fly by when I watch it. When I watch something 9-10/10 worthy, time flies by quickly and the episodes end too fast. When I'm watching a 7/10 series like Gokusen, I feel time moving at its normal pace.

I do understand what you mean about Hellsing, though - I put it on-hold after five episodes. Not good stuff.

Up to episode 20 of Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and it's still really awesome :]

After I finish the first series of LotGH (first series = eps. 1 - 26), I'll take a break from it to watch Bubblegum Crisis and the 4th volume of Haruhi I think ^__^

Kashmashi: 1-3

Kashimashi is retarded and can be rather boring but, providing you have an interest in lesbians, it's watchable enough. I watched three episodes last night. The art and animation are quite impressive for a show of its kind, and it hasn't been as tasteless as it could've been. What do I mean by that, you ask? The first thing any male would do in a female body would involve a finger or three, yet nothing like that was shown...unlike in a gender swapping hentai I've seen.

I was able to view at as yuri because the 'male' was always very much a female in looks and voice. The gender change didn't change a lot, in all honesty. It'd be different if a manly man (/Armstrong) changed gender and then acted all girly - that'd make me feel far from comfy - but that isn't an issue here. Like I said on FFXI: "If it has a tail, I'd hit it."

When it comes to lesbians, I find myself being far more accepting than I am with other types of anime that don't include them. This, of course, is because females are smarter than males and their personalities shine through when they're together, alone in a room...with vibrating objects, such as mobile phones. It has nothing to do with perverse thoughts and the like - I'm not a pervert. The same goes for Kannazuki no Miko, a show where the suggested lesbian rape of another character played no part in me rating it 7/10.

I'll watch more later, after playing some FFVII (still at two hours) and going through my second Gokusen disc.

MercenaryRaiden said:
Gankutsuou eps 7-12

Totally hooked. Just keeps getting better and better. And I still feel like i've seen nothing yet.

Ian%20Towle%20-%20slug.jpg

-1 for your speed.
+1 for you having taste.

Marathon 13-18. Post your thoughts after episode 18.

Rhea Gall Force (should have had a soundtrack by Chris Rea) :p

I'm finding this story more enjoyable than that of the original Gall Force - Dystopian future Earth setting > Space setting. The characters are really just clones of the original Gall Force characters. Not literally I mean, that isn't part of the story, they just have much the same character designs / personalities (though Lufy clone Score manages to be even cooler through her dual wielding of heavy machine guns Rambo-style at one point).

This time rather than just the single gender race of Solnoids and aliens there are men and machines involved as well. I won't go into why as that would spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen Gall Force (which I'd hazard a guess is somewhere in the region of 98% of AUKN) but it is tied in nicely to the original story. The plot follows our gals, this time on formerly opposing sides in a conflict similar to the Cold War who have now joined up to fight machines Terminator-style (though I'd be willing to go out on a limb and declare that this is probably more entertaining than the recent Terminator film). The more of the Gall Force franchise I watch the more I think I'm going to appreciate it as a whole once I'm finished.

Having recommended it I really should get around to watching Gall Force :p

Eureka Seven 1-4
I don't have much to say at this point. It's all right. I'm not sure what it's all about yet, nor where it's heading.

Have watched recently;

kakerembo
Deathnote, marathoned the whole thing in 2 days - already read the manga years ago.
desert punk ep 1 - looks alright i guess, has potential.
Trigun eps 1-6 ahh, good old trigun :p
ep 1 of my wife is a schoolgirl.....soppy rubbish which i won't be watching anymore.
rewatched through battle vixens
karas.....okay after 20 mins i got bored and turned it off...i was right to think that i'd be bored of it very quickly.

Things i've got on my list to watch
claymore,
the girl who leapt through time,
Elfen Lied
hellsing ultimate
The Place Promised In Our Early Days

:)

Back